I can't believe the Mariners traded Adam Jones

paulcoates

Oh, I know and I agree.

I was just trying to point out that it didn't take some supernatural divination to reach that conclusion.

AM shouldn't have taken just those three, because he could have got more. Which he did.

So to suggest he should have is wrong.

I was just trying to stop SG from saying that he was right that the Orioles should have taken a smaller package. Call it a pre-emptive strike. ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting question:

Would you have done the trade, in complete retrospect, if it was Bedard AND Tillman for Jones, assuming we already had Tillman?

I'm thinking yes at this point.

I still can't believe how incredible that trade is. I know it was a long time ago now, but MacPhail can't get enough credit for that trade.

Yeah. Which doesn't mean that AM should have packed in at three players and called it enough. Just that the value over time was going to be wildly disproportionate - the only sense it made is if Bedard's near-term value was properly leveraged into a playoff push.

It was not.*

*Understatement.

And I still say that if he could have made other moves, then he should have taken the 3 or 4 players he could have had late Dec/Early Jan and made the other moves that he could have made.

He said things were held up because of Bedard...IF that is true(and we don't know if it is), then I would rather have moved other pieces and gotten other players than hold out for Tony Butler, who I never thought would make it anyway.

I was just trying to stop SG from saying that he was right that the Orioles should have taken a smaller package. Call it a pre-emptive strike. ;)

Oh, yeah, I seem to recall a 27 page thread about exactly that subject last summer.

SG saying he was right because we got more than Bedard was worth, even with only those three.

And the rest of the board saying that he was wrong because we could have-and did- got more.

I truly hope that doesn't repeat itself.

It seems he beat me to it. I'm not touching this one.

Interesting question:

Would you have done the trade, in complete retrospect, if it was Bedard AND Tillman for Jones, assuming we already had Tillman?

I'm thinking yes at this point.

I still can't believe how incredible that trade is. I know it was a long time ago now, but MacPhail can't get enough credit for that trade.

no way. Bedard's value is lower to us because of his age and proximity to free agency.

Adding Tillman, who is 5-10 starts from being a major league pitcher tips the scale.

The question might be if youd trade either Jones or Tillman for Bedard straight up right now.

I dont know that I would.

Its hard to say you value Tillman more than Jones right now, but if Jones hits .250 in June and Tillman comes up and wins his first 3 starts I think thered be a lot of people who's rather have what looks to be a future #1 starter.

Id probably take Tillman and Bedard for Jones though. I wouldnt have a problem with a Reimold-Pie-Markakis OF with Bedard and Tillman at the top of my rotation.

I'm just joking. Hence the wink.

Its actually quite amazing...I found that thread...64% of the people on here would NOT have made that deal....Of course, it may have been because some thought we could get more but the question was asked, if that's all we could get, do you make the deal.

The point I was making is that there were a lot of people who wouldn't have made that 3 for 1 deal.

Nor should they. They could have got more.

Look at it like this: You're selling a $10,000 car. Somebody offers you 12, but if you hold out you'll get 14 from them. You'd be foolish to accept the 12.

And why did you know that Tony Butler wouldn't make it? (Of course, it's too early to draw that conclusion)

BTW, at the time, I think you would have taken a Matt Kemp/Kershaw deal over Jones/Tillman & others. What do you say?

Yea I would have...and I still would.

Just didn't like Butler's profile at the time.

Oh, I know and I agree.

I was just trying to point out that it didn't take some supernatural divination to reach that conclusion.

AM shouldn't have taken just those three, because he could have got more. Which he did.

So to suggest he should have is wrong.

And yet...I shiver at the thought that the Mariners might have seen better of the whole thing while we were trying to get it sweetened. A cold sweat when I think about that. We might have ended up with Pie, Gallagher and Veal. Think about it. Bill Bavasi is my favorite human.

Nor should they. They could have got more.

Look at it like this: You're selling a $10,000 car. Somebody offers you 12, but if you hold out you'll get 14 from them. You'd be foolish to accept the 12.

But that's not the way the question was posed....

The question was, if that is all you could get, do you make the 3 for 1 trade?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58041

63.4% said no.

BTW, my only point here is that Jones was/is an amazing talent...Even back then, it just seemed that he was enough to make this deal.

I don't think the Mariners really screwed up persay, they just had an abysmal year last year...everything went wrong.

Maybe they make up for it this year? Who knows.

Archived