Count me on the Matzek bandwagon

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something about Matzek just stands out. He looks better on film than Wheeler and Crow to me. For some reason I think Matzek is going to be the best pitcher in this draft not named Strasburg in the next 10 years.

He's #2 on my board -- since the fall, actually. :) I'm right there with you!

I'm with you about Matzek, and have been for a long time, but number 2? Above Ackley?

Yup. I'm sticking with my take on Ackley, which is a good hit tool as a pro, but limited power and enough questions about position for him to sit 6-10 for me. I could end up way off, but I have to stick to my guns. I see a young J. Damon, which to me isn't the second best talent in this draft.

Well, JTrea has posted a new Ackley thread with a BA article that has Matzek sitting at 96 and touching 97 in a playoff game yesterday.

From writer Dave Perkin: "In the first inning, Matzek’s fastball ranged from 94 to 96 mph, peaking once at 97. He added an 87 slider and 81 curve."

The odds of Matzek coming down to 5 may not be good.

BA article

Well, JTrea has posted a new Ackley thread with a BA article that has Matzek sitting at 96 and touching 97 in a playoff game yesterday.

From writer Dave Perkin: "In the first inning, Matzek’s fastball ranged from 94 to 96 mph, peaking once at 97. He added an 87 slider and 81 curve."

The odds of Matzek coming down to 5 may not be good.

BA article

Well, you could hope SEA is still set on Ackley and that SD would prefer Tate or Crow. If Law is right that PIT is looking solely at easy signs, Matzek could still be there.

Archived