Bryce Harper: Better catching prospect than Wieters?

Sports Guy

Some article I read. :noidea:

Looks like you were right, buddy.

When asked about his goals as a ballplayer, he replies, "Be in the Hall of Fame, definitely. Play in Yankee Stadium. Play in the pinstripes. Be considered the greatest baseball player who ever lived. I can't wait."

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1156215/3/index.htm

Well, I hate his guts already. He looks to be a giant d-bag, just like Maryland's own t-bag. :down:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1156215/1/index.htm

Tom Verducci of SI.com introduces us to a 16-year-old so tantalizing multiple MLB scouting directors say he would be a top-five pick if eligible for this year's draft. Bryce Harper, a high school sophomore, has drawn comparisons to Justin Upton, Alex Rodriguez and Ken Griffey Jr.. The entire article's worth reading, but here are some of the reasons Harper's attracting so much attention:

He hit the longest home run in Tropicana Field history, at 502 feet.

He's reportedly hit balls as far as 570 feet.

His throws have been clocked at 96 mph.

Last year, Harper batted .590 with 11 home runs and 67 RBIs in 38 games for Las Vegas High School as a freshman.

He's fast enough to have scored from second on six wild pitches this year.

His arm is so good, he's throwning out baserunners from the crouch.

Scott Boras is one of Harper's advisers, so look for big demands once he's drafted. That won't likely happen until 2011, but his parents would like Harper to be available in next year's draft. It would be hard not to think highly of your skill if you were labeled the "LeBron James of baseball," and Harper has no shortage of ambition.

After googling this kid, all I can say is WOW.

They say he eats lightning and craps thunder. Or so the legend goes...

570-foot hits? That's beyond Ruthian. That's ridiculous. I'll believe it when I see him in the bigs.

Oh, and he sounds like a total D-bag with helicopter parents to boot.

I don't believe it. 16 year olds don't do these things. Also, he seems cockier than Billy Rowell was.

He does seem very cocky, I did a thread about this kid in the draft forum. Where it asays that Strasburg is considered baseball's Lebron James, and Harper says, "They stole that from me"! Very cocky thing to say, but his talent is undeniable, the article says that he has more bat speed than McGwire in his prime.....Ridiculous......

I watched the video of him. He looks to have unbelievably fast hands. What are the rules about drafting a player? Could the Os draft him now? Can he play any other position? Like SS or 3B?

Matt Wieters has a poster of Bryce Harper in his room. :rofl: Sorry couldnt resist.

In all seriousness, anybody who can hit a ball over 550 feet, wood or metal bat, is absolutely rediculous. Could you imagine a team with this kid and the omnicient being...i mean matt wieters on this team? Holy Shnikes!!

Archived