Drafting Pitching

The Sun article today got me thinking about the O's decision making on which pitcher to draft, since it looks like they will take one. We've had multiple discussions, intentionally or not, about drafting college players vs. high school players. But the question that entered my mind was does the Orioles current stockpile of pitching prospects enter the equation when deciding on who to pick? Since we have guys like Bergesen, Berken, Arrieta, Matusz, etc., and that so many of them are near or at the big league level now, do the O's come to the decision that perhaps they don't mind drafting one of the high school pitchers and waiting for a few years, over a guy like Crow for example, who is a college pitcher? Is that a wise decision to make?

The Sun article today got me thinking about the O's decision making on which pitcher to draf, since it looks like they will take one. We've had multiple discussions, intentionally or not, about drafting college players vs. high school players. But the question that entered my mind was does the Orioles current stockpile of pitching prospects enter the equation when deciding on who to pick? Since we have guys like Bergesen, Berken, Arrieta, Matusz, etc., and that so many of them are near or at the big league level now, do the O's come to the decision that perhaps they don't mind drafting one of the high school pitchers and waiting for a few years, over a guy like Crow for example, who is a college pitcher? Is that a wise decision to make?

It shouldn't figure in, because you should be taking the highest rated player available to you. That has some give and take because no two teams will have their boards the same, but in a year like this when you have so many guys bunched together, it could figure in.

I personally am of the belief that when you get to a point like we are now, with a lot of guys that will arrive close together, you can start taking shots at younger HS pitchers that may need a few years to develop, but could have a higher ceiling. I'd like to have a wave of talent ready now, and then a wave of talent ready to come through in a few years when these guys either don't pan out, or get too expensive. With depth like that you can afford to field offers for pieces and lengthen your continuous run of talent.

As long as the talent level is close with the players there is nothing wrong with that. Often times the HS kids have a higher ceiling, since the college guys are either those same HS kids that do not sign for whatever reason, or are late bloomers. Taking a HS kid that high before he has a chance to get to college usually means they are thought very highly of.

It shouldn't figure in, because you should be taking the highest rated player available to you. That has some give and take because no two teams will have their boards the same, but in a year like this when you have so many guys bunched together, it could figure in.

I personally am of the belief that when you get to a point like we are now, with a lot of guys that will arrive close together, you can start taking shots at younger HS pitchers that may need a few years to develop, but could have a higher ceiling. I'd like to have a wave of talent ready now, and then a wave of talent ready to come through in a few years when these guys either don't pan out, or get too expensive. With depth like that you can afford to field offers for pieces and lengthen your continuous run of talent.

As long as the talent level is close with the players there is nothing wrong with that. Often times the HS kids have a higher ceiling, since the college guys are either those same HS kids that do not sign for whatever reason, or are late bloomers. Taking a HS kid that high before he has a chance to get to college usually means they are thought very highly of.

Agree 100% with this statement, and I have no doubt that they will do this, whether it be a pitcher or not. The thought just entered my mind because we have so much pitching, and debating what level to take given the guys who are here and those on the way. Either way, college or high school, you can never have enough pitching.

You've got to weigh ceiling and injury risk as well. Matzek is probably the safest pitcher out of all available at the #5 spot, He's got a high ceiling and seems to be less prone to injury with his delivery.

Crow's injury potential remains a huge roadblock IMO.

You've got to weigh ceiling and injury risk as well. Matzek is probably the safest pitcher out of all available at the #5 spot, He's got a high ceiling and seems to be less prone to injury with his delivery.

Crow's injury potential remains a huge roadblock IMO.

I do think Crow's injury potential is a bit more of a red flag than it should be. My concern about him is that he is more of a closer than a starter.

Agree 100% with this statement, and I have no doubt that they will do this, whether it be a pitcher or not. The thought just entered my mind because we have so much pitching, and debating what level to take given the guys who are here and those on the way. Either way, college or high school, you can never have enough pitching.

Yeah, I know where you are coming from, I've been preaching it all year, I just think that we are in a position that we should start looking for players for 2013-2014 not 2011 (at least in terms of pitchers). I guess it just comes down to organizational philosophy and how teams want to build, either for the right now, I'm just thinking of the future.

Archived