A couple of "SERIOUSLY!?" moves just made

nyco

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the sense that this post would get criticized.

Seems the past several posts/threads I've made have been deleted.

So I guess criticized is a step in the right direction.

I'm looking for "ignored" next. Then "tolerated". Then "'Hmph'ed'".

I think "'Hmph'd'" is my ceiling.

BEcause they have a lineup of all stars?

The Orioles can't score right now.

Your logic here makes little sense.

The logic is I don't see a lot of starting catchers at DH when the back up is in. But fine, I'm a dumbass. I honestly think that when/ if that happens the FIRST question that Trembley will have to answer will be "why did you DH that catcher?"

But hey, just my opinion.

We shall see what happens then, but regular days off for a ROOKIE CATCHER especially when we have the JAPANESE SPEAKING PITCHER coming back for his FIRST START IN A MONTH you might want to have the guy that has caught him before out there.

Ah, it took awhile, but at least this is a rational reason for starting Zaun tonite. Wieters WILL dh this year. Other clubs don't use catchers at DH because their catchers are not Matt Wieters.

The logic is I don't see a lot of starting catchers at DH when the back up is in.

How many of those teams have arguably the best catcher in the world on their team?

How many of those teams are going through a terrible stretch of a lack of offense?

DT has done it before....No reason not to do it tonight.

The logic is I don't see a lot of starting catchers at DH when the back up is in.

A lot of starting catchers aren't potentially the best hitters on their team.

Just think about it...the thing you are afraid of is a very rare chance of 2-3 at bats for a pitcher...where at least one of those we could pinch hit and maybe actually use our bench. On the other hand we get a lot more at bats for one of the best players on the team.

A lot of starting catchers aren't potentially the best hitters on their team.

Just think about it...the thing you are afraid of is a very rare chance of 2-3 at bats for a pitcher...where at least one of those we could pinch hit and maybe actually use our bench. On the other hand we get a lot more at bats for one of the best players on the team.

Sure its a rare occurrence, but I think there is a reason you don't see a lot of starting C's DHing on their day off. I know that the team is struggling for offense, and I would like to see Wieters in there too, but I think DHing the C is asking for trouble.

Besides, Wieters could still make an appearance or two in the game.

anyone have numbers on how many days Victor Martinez plays first while the backup catches?

or how many days Mauer DHs when his backup starts?

Last year Mauer caught in 139 games, DH'd 4. Other years he DH'd more, in the teens. This year it is 27 and 9.

Martinez is about half and half 1st and C this year. In 06 and 07 he played 1st 20-30 times, caught 120-130 times.

That was the "opening Weekend for Wieters" It was a dumb risky move then, it would be a dumb move tonight. I want to see him as much as possible too, but he will get one game a week off.

How risky is it to lose your DH for one game in a 162 game season? I am not saying Wieters should DH tonight, because clearly Luke has earned his spot in the lineup; however, if Wieters was the one lighting the league on fire I'd rather take the premium at-bats with the better hitter than sit him solely on the outside chance the backup catcher has to enter a game.

How likely is it something would happen that you need your backup catcher mid-game? And if it does happen, likely you are already into the game, so you may gave up one at-bat maybe 2 before you can pinch hit and use your pen.

If this were the playoffs or we were in a stretch run, then sure you have to consider the risk. But in June, I am taking the best hitter period.

anyone have numbers on how many days Victor Martinez plays first while the backup catches?

or how many days Mauer DHs when his backup starts?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=mauerjo01&year=2008&t=b#defp

In 2008 Mauer DH'ed in FIVE GAMES, 19 ABs

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=martivi01&year=2008&t=b#defp

Martinez spent a total of 15 games at either first or DH (again only FIVE DH games)

And we don't really know what the rest of their rosters looked like. They could have been carrying a super-uti guy that could be an emergency catcher - emphasis on emergency.

Archived