Anyone else cheering for the O's to lose?

JoeOrsulak

I guess I am talking about total $$$ outlayed.. we still don't know what Wieters actually signed for do we, other than the $6 Mil bonus? Has the #2 pick in the draft ever signed for less than the previous years #2 pick? (In total $$$)
I would think so....I know #1 picks have been all over the map...Don't see why that would be different than #2s.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are 10 teams along with the O's with 57, 58, or 59 total wins vying for the second worst record.

The devil rays are at 50 wins, don't think we catch them.

I know it is really early, but next years draft is suppose to have two of

the better positional college hitters in years: Pedro Alvarez 3rd Vandy and

Justin Smoak 1b USC. Wouldn't it be nice to be in position to draft one of those?

I assume the NL drafts first next year because the devil rays drafted this year first. So there might be some "work" to do.

We need positional prospects.

You know, regardless whether we actually root for them to lose or not, we wills till lose! So, keep rooting for the O's to win, and when we DO lose and get a higher draft pick, it will just be payment for such a lousy team!

Seriously though, I am finding it harder and harder each day to stay positive about this thing. I see House come up, which is good, but then I see them play Bako over him, and I think, WTF? The more things change, the more they stay the same. Olson and Liz should be starting in the rotation the rest of the season. Trax needs to be traded this week. House should catch every day. Bako should be released, and Hernandez needs to get his head out of his butt. I don't know what his problem has been this year, but he has hit terribly and has thrown out 11% of baserunners. Just AWFUL! The entire team needs to be revamped. I am back squarely on the BLOW IT UP bandwagon and will stay there indefinitely! Somebody give me something, anything to look forward to, because this team as-is is making me sick! :SuN017:

You know, regardless whether we actually root for them to lose or not, we wills till lose! So, keep rooting for the O's to win, and when we DO lose and get a higher draft pick, it will just be payment for such a lousy team!

Seriously though, I am finding it harder and harder each day to stay positive about this thing. I see House come up, which is good, but then I see them play Bako over him, and I think, WTF? The more things change, the more they stay the same. Olson and Liz should be starting in the rotation the rest of the season. Trax needs to be traded this week. House should catch every day. Bako should be released, and Hernandez needs to get his head out of his butt. I don't know what his problem has been this year, but he has hit terribly and has thrown out 11% of baserunners. Just AWFUL! The entire team needs to be revamped. I am back squarely on the BLOW IT UP bandwagon and will stay there indefinitely! Somebody give me something, anything to look forward to, because this team as-is is making me sick!

So much for that better feeling mentioned in your sig line.......... ;):D

Maybe another total collapse will finally convince Angelos that he is an abomination to Baltimore baseball, and that nothing he does will result in anything but failure. Maybe he'll finally be convinced to sell and let someone else try.

Don't count on it. If he hasn't gotten it by now, he never will.

I won't root for them to lose just to convince the owner of something he should have known long ago.

So either you've read the evidence I've provided and just don't want to say you were off on this, or you're just assuming that my link proves my point. Either way, here's some info from BP and Rany Jazayerli, note that there's some charts that I can't paste:

"The first thing that stands out is that the #1 overall selection is significantly more valuable than the picks that come after it, even the picks that come immediately after it."

"The typical #1 overall pick is worth more than 46 WARP in the first 15 years of his career; no other draft slot comes within even 10 wins of that total."

"Draft Rule #1: The greatest difference in value between consecutive draft picks is the difference between the first and second picks in a draft."

I'm back!!!!

Two things... the possibility of the fact that the player contributes to a winning team because of the sum of the parts surrounding him. Also, the fact that the 46 WARP is skewed by a small sample size of players, ie. AROD, Chipper Jones, Darryl Strawberry, Ken Griffey Jr., and Joe Mauer.

• Alex Rodriguez has averaged 7.9 WARP per season in his career.
  • Chipper Jones has average 6.0 WARP.
  • Darryl Strawberry averaged 4.1 WARP in his 17 year career.
  • Ken Griffey Jr. has averaged 5.9 WARP.

That's a whopping 51.9% of the 46 WARP the writer mentions.

I'm back!!!!

Two things... the possibility of the fact that the player contributes to a winning team because of the sum of the parts surrounding him. Also, the fact that the 46 WARP is skewed by a small sample size of players, ie. AROD, Chipper Jones, Darryl Strawberry, Ken Griffey Jr., and Joe Mauer.

• Alex Rodriguez has averaged 7.9 WARP per season in his career.
  • Chipper Jones has average 6.0 WARP.
  • Darryl Strawberry averaged 4.1 WARP in his 17 year career.
  • Ken Griffey Jr. has averaged 5.9 WARP.

That's a whopping 51.9% of the 46 WARP the writer mentions.

Sum of the parts around him doesn't work for me at all, this isn't football or basketball.

As far as you other part, Strawberry and Mauer isn't part of that sample size, it's from '84 to '99. The #1 pick looks pretty good after '99 as well. And so what if a few stars have helped out a lot? I'm sure there have been some big stars picked at #2, #3, etc. And that's obviously a big part of the benefit of the #1 pick, you can get that consensus #1 player like Jr or Arod.

Plus, that's the average WARP of those players in the first 15 years of their career, so I'm not getting the 51.9% part.

The % of players to reach the majors has a similiar rate of attrition as the WARP graph, but it keeps the top two picks together.

Sum of the parts around him doesn't work for me at all, this isn't football or basketball.

As far as you other part, Strawberry and Mauer isn't part of that sample size, it's from '84 to '99. The #1 pick looks pretty good after '99 as well. And so what if a few stars have helped out a lot? I'm sure there have been some big stars picked at #2, #3, etc. And that's obviously a big part of the benefit of the #1 pick, you can get that consensus #1 player like Jr or Arod.

Plus, that's the average WARP of those players in the first 15 years of their career, so I'm not getting the 51.9% part.

The % of players to reach the majors has a similiar rate of attrition as the WARP graph, but it keeps the top two picks together.

So, what about after 1999? We're seeing the affects of those drafts already.

So, what about after 1999? We're seeing the affects of those drafts already.

The article was done two years ago, and he felt it was wise to give players time to show their worth.

But if you want to look at that...

Adrian Gonzalez is very solid.

Mauer is one of the top catchers in baseball.

Bullington is likely a bust, but did make it to the majors and might again.

Delmon Young is one of the most touted young players out there, too early to tell much though.

Bush was a bust, but was only the #1 pick due to signability. Verlander was taken 2nd.

Upton looks like a stud, but too early to tell.

Hochevar is a solid prospect, too early to tell.

Price is supposed to be great, too early to tell.

Archived