Sun: A big relief for Salazar

Morgan423

What's so controversial about that? I'd applaud lustily (maybe even shout out a good Huzzah!) if Trembley played Pie instead of Reimold in left against some right-handers, and mixed up the lineup enough to get him in the lineup instead of Huff or Scott 4, 5, 6 times a month. The way Huff's been playing Pie wouldn't even have to post a .700 OPS to be more of an asset.
First, you have to put him in against right-handers because he's shown he can't hit the lefties. (.182 OPS 2009; .278 OPS career). In the small sample size that is 2009, Reimold is doing a little better against the RHPs (.764 OPS vs .706). Huff has an OPS of .799 versus righthanders, but Pie's .706 would be more of an asset? If you say so.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll play along. Lets consider that you and SG's prediction on Pie pays off, and he in fact IS an everyday caliber player. We already have 4 everyday caliber outfielders in Reimold, Jones, Kakes, and Scott. Instead of finding creative ways to get PT for all these guys, wouldn't it make more sense to try to trade Pie for a position of need?

When he's a productive player. He's still the guy with all the tools that Lou Pinella didn't like and Nolan Reimold forced to the bench. He's still a project. Right now you'd be lucky to get a grade C prospect for him.

First, you have to put him in against right-handers because he's shown he can't hit the lefties. (.182 OPS 2009; .278 OPS career). In the small sample size that is 2009, Reimold is doing a little better against the RHPs (.764 OPS vs .706). Huff has an OPS of .799 versus righthanders, but Pie's .706 would be more of an asset? If you say so.

Reimold has been a poor outfielder, and Huff a poor first baseman. It's not hard to imagine his defensive value being equal to 50 points of OPS.

What is difficult to understand is how some posters want Pie to play at the expense of the STARTERS on this team, but yet are willing to ship out Salazar (who has hit whenever he's been given the opportunity) with a dismissal such as "he's a dime a dozen player who can easily be replaced."

To drungo's point, Pie should get the same amount of PT as Zaun does. If that's 2 games a week, so be it. I have no issue with this, and I think he would thrive in that role. Let him play once or twice a week in LF against tough right handed pitchers. What I do not get behind is benching Scott or Huff for Pie.

Are Reimold, Scott and Huff playing every single day?

What is difficult to understand is how some posters want Pie to play at the expense of the STARTERS on this team, but yet are willing to ship out Salazar (who has hit whenever he's been given the opportunity) with a dismissal such as "he's a dime a dozen player who can easily be replaced."

To drungo's point, Pie should get the same amount of PT as Zaun does. If that's 2 games a week, so be it. I have no issue with this, and I think he would thrive in that role. Let him play once or twice a week in LF against tough right handed pitchers. What I do not get behind is benching Scott or Huff for Pie.

Nobody in the last two months has suggested that Pie get more than 6-8 starts per month at most. You're just making up arguments now to argue against, because nobody is saying the things you are accusing "some posters" of saying.

Reimold has been a poor outfielder, and Huff a poor first baseman. It's not hard to imagine his defensive value being equal to 50 points of OPS.

Your 50 point SWAG still doesn't make him more of an asset.

When he's a productive player. He's still the guy with all the tools that Lou Pinella didn't like and Nolan Reimold forced to the bench. He's still a project. Right now you'd be lucky to get a grade C prospect for him.
He's also still the guy that the Cubs preferred Joey Gathright and Ryan Freel to have.

Nobody in the last two months has suggested that Pie get more than 6-8 starts per month at most. You're just making up arguments now to argue against, because nobody is saying the things you are accusing "some posters" of saying.

Read page 6 where it was suggested that Huff and Scott be benched so that Pie can play. I didn't make that up! And you are just plain wrong. There are some posters who STILL think Pie should be getting the bulk of LF work to see if he ever makes it to this mythical magical place where he is an everyday asset to the team. There are some posters who would have preferred Reimold keep hitting .350 in Norfolk so that Pie could get playing time to see what he has. I am not making that up either. There are some posters who are actively calling for Scott to be traded to free up playing time for Pie. I am not the one making these things up. They have been in numerous threads for months now.

Read page 6 where it was suggested that Huff and Scott be benched so that Pie can play. I didn't make that up! And you are just plain wrong. There are some posters who STILL think Pie should be getting the bulk of LF work to see if he ever makes it to this mythical magical place where he is an everyday asset to the team. There are some posters who would have preferred Reimold keep hitting .350 in Norfolk so that Pie could get playing time to see what he has. I am not making that up either. There are some posters who are actively calling for Scott to be traded to free up playing time for Pie. I am not the one making these things up. They have been in numerous threads for months now.

You are making things up and what you aren't making up, you are leaving out the other parts of the reasons or what else would be happening along with it.

You are doing nothing but putting words into people's mouths.

Haven't you been pushing to trade him since at least last offseason? Heaven forbid we come to the conclusion that maybe the Cubs scouts knew something when they let him go.

Maybe they did...There isn't one person on this site that is guaranteeing anything for Pie....People just want him to have a chance...a real one.

He is getting anything remotely close to that.

He has obviously improved,...He ios working hard...He is probably the fastest guy on the team and he is the best defensive OFer we have...He is an asset to us but DT isn't using him.

You are making that up. Show me on page 6 where anything like that is said.

Drungo suggested sitting Reimold against "some righties". That is in no way similar to saying guys be benched.

People don't want to trade Scott just to play Pie, that's just a ridiculous statement and you either know it or you've temporarily lost your mind. Scott has great trade value right now, and that value may be more than the value he'll have to our team over the next couple years. If it is, you trade him, if it isn't, you don't. Pie is not even a factor in the decision of whether to trade Scott or not.

You are making that up. Show me on page 6 where anything like that is said.

Drungo suggested sitting Reimold against "some righties". That is in no way similar to saying guys be benched.

People don't want to trade Scott just to play Pie, that's just a ridiculous statement and you either know it or you've temporarily lost your mind. Scott has great trade value right now, and that value may be more than the value he'll have to our team over the next couple years. If it is, you trade him, if it isn't, you don't. Pie is not even a factor in the decision of whether to trade Scott or not.

Okay..no sense arguing this. Especially with SG, who doesn't even read what I have to say. The fact is that even back before Reimold came up, people were saying we should trade Scott because he wasn't needed with Pie in left and Huff on the team. You can say I am making it up, whatever, I don't have the time nor desire to go back to April and find these threads. In Drungo's post, however, he DOES say that Huff and Scott should be benched from time to time to give Pie at bats. But I guess I am making it up! :rolleyes:

Archived