Does Trembley really believe this?

Frobby

Trembley needs to put players in their best position to succeed. This not only means with platooning and playing time (and even resting), but also with base running and coaching.

Izzy screwed up pretty damn bad on that double by Roberts. If y'all don't think he couldn't score, well, I think you're wrong. If you're using Trembley's response during the press conference as evidence, well then I think you're even more wrong. Trembley has shown countless times that he defends his players and plays the PC card (except with Pie, for some reason).

Trembley needs to be held accountable for this running. Long story short, this team has had terrible players for the last 10-12 years, but the fact of the matter is that you may have bad players, but that doesn't mean you have to have terrible fundamentals. The numbers are pretty damning during Trembley's reign. His aggressiveness needs to stop, and he needs to put players in positions to succeed. If they screw up, okay, it needs to be handled. If they screw up routinely, it needs to be corrected (punishment). As said prior:

Player screws up once, shame on the player.

Player screws up routinely, shame on the manager.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(Parenthetically, I want to point out that EQBRR stats show that the majority of teams lose runs on the bases. The median number right now is -2.5 and 18 of the 30 teams are in the red. But the O's are at -17 and the next worse team is only -10. That's terrible.)

Is there a convenient way to see how this number trends and changes through the season (e.g., weekly or monthly), or is it a summary season-to-date snapshot?

My subjective impression is that a trend line would show the Orioles improving over the last month or 6 weeks, but I have no idea if the numbers would confirm that impression.

Trembley needs to put players in their best position to succeed. This not only means with platooning and playing time (and even resting), but also with base running and coaching.

Izzy screwed up pretty damn bad on that double by Roberts. If y'all don't think he couldn't score, well, I think you're wrong. If you're using Trembley's response during the press conference as evidence, well then I think you're even more wrong. Trembley has shown countless times that he defends his players and plays the PC card (except with Pie, for some reason).

Trembley needs to be held accountable for this running. Long story short, this team has had terrible players for the last 10-12 years, but the fact of the matter is that you may have bad players, but that doesn't mean you have to have terrible fundamentals. The numbers are pretty damning during Trembley's reign. His aggressiveness needs to stop, and he needs to put players in positions to succeed. If they screw up, okay, it needs to be handled. If they screw up routinely, it needs to be corrected (punishment). As said prior:

Player screws up once, shame on the player.

Player screws up routinely, shame on the manager.

So basically you are saying Trembley needs to be "held accountable" for not "punishing" players who screw up routinely? Routine means on a regular basis, so is that once a weelk, 2 or 3 times a month, more often? Which players meet your criteria for routine screw ups? And what should their "punishment" be?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sp.orioles21jul21002022,0,4837148.story

I heard Trembley say essentially that to Gary Thorne on the post-game interview. But when MASN showed him in the dugout after Izturis didn't score, he looked irritated and totally non-plussed. So either Trembley is going to extremes not to criticize his players in public, or he wasn't watching the same game I was.

When Trembley was talking to Thorne, he partially defended Reimold and Izturis because the plays were hit-and-runs so they didn't have an opportunity to see where the ball was. Excuse me? Isn't the point of a hit-and-run to try to pick up an extra base here and there? If you are fortunate enough that someone gets a hit while the hit-and-run is being executed, that's exactly when you should expect the runner to achieve an extra base out of it. Otherwise, what's the frigging point of a hit and run?

Honestly, I like most things about Trembley, but I'm really starting to wonder if he understands the running game at all. It is a huge blind spot for him so far as I'm concerned, one that may end up costing him his job.

Or, maybe he understands it but doesn't want to criticize his players in public. I understand that to some extent, but to make excuses on plays where any average fan can see that the runner didn't do his job correctly (and all the announcers are pointing it out) just undermines his credibility and makes it seem as if the players are unaccountable for their mental mistakes. He doesn't need to throw players under the bus, but he does need to call a spade a spade.

So are you saying that if he is rounding second and the ball is caught in right field- you aren't then bashing the poor baserunning decision when he gets doubled off at 1st?

The Orioles are the worst team in MLB at running the bases. It's impossible that the Orioles just randomly built a team of individuals all of whom are horrible base runners. That's just not possible. That's systemic.

Hold on now-- they're not all horrible baserunners. Roberts is a good baserunner. So is Markakis. So is Jones (though he could use work on his sliding). I don't recall seeing any glaring mistakes from Scott, Zaun, or Andino. Matt Wieters seems to know how to run the bases, even if he's very slow. So let's not paint the entire team with one brush.

Hold on now-- they're not all horrible baserunners. Roberts is a good baserunner. So is Markakis. So is Jones (though he could use work on his sliding). I don't recall seeing any glaring mistakes from Scott, Zaun, or Andino. Matt Wieters seems to know how to run the bases, even if he's very slow. So let's not paint the entire team with one brush.

And in spite of his heinous crime yesterday, so is Izzy. And Reimold looks like he has the makings of a pretty good one as well. So who does that leave?

Very fair. I should have stuck to the point: this team is horrible on the bases. That goes beyond the culpability of a few players. Baserunning is not like hitting. This isn't like bashing Crowley for his inability to turn AAAA players into HOFs.

If the Orioles did somehow construct a team with a disproportionately high number of really bad baserunners, it's on DT to use them appropriately.

When Roberts and Markakis make mistakes, it exacerbates the problem (at least the perspective). Personally, I don't want players who are good baserunners - taking gambles and having them pay off. I just want guys who aren't trailers out there, getting to the appropriate base without running into outs.

I think there are many issues DT does not deserve criticism for. I don't believe this is one of them. I do wish it were possible to discuss DT without muddling all the issues into one: those who like him vs those who don't. It just seems to be that way too much.

Archived