Zaun to the Rays

Miller192

We don't need TB cash to pay for Sano or Chapman. If we don't land Sano, let's say, it'll be because the dollar limit we decide to set based on an objective assessment of his worth is exceeded by the bidding amount. Cash from TB won't alter that one way or another.

Gotcha. Do you think we can land Sano?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm, my computer says 21. :scratchchinhmm: How old is olehippi?:D

My computer says 21, too. however, my fingers wander....which they've been known to do on occasion.

My mind also wanders all the time, but is otherwise continent.

The age thing, I unfortunately have no control over.....;)

Wasn't the Adam Stern trade from Boston to the Orioles for Javy Lopez proof you can trade in the same league? Stern was in the minors. The Rays are going to send Iwamura to their AAA Durham Bulls minor league team to rehab. As long as he is on the Durham roster when the deal is made how would this be different than the Stern - Lopez deal?

Adam Stern was optioned to Pawtucket before the trade was made.

Iwamura is on the ML DL but on a rehab assignment. It's not the same thing.

Look for an example of a PTBNL that's 1) on the 40 man and 2) not on an optional assignment and 3) traded to a team in the same league. Stern was on an optional assignment. Iwamura is not.

If you can find an example, let me know.

Gotcha. Do you think we can land Sano?
Of course we CAN, if we bid high enough. The relevant question is whether we SHOULD. This is exactly the KIND of situation we should be all over. But as for evaluating this particular player and his worth, I leave it in the capable hands of Andy and company. In AM, I trust.

But when all is said and done, if at the end of the day we wake away empty-handed, would I be disappointed? In the words of the retiring Alaska Gov, you betcha. (It wouldn't mean we did anything wrong. But I sure hope that bidding for Sano stays within Andy's presumably pre-set limits.)

Of course we CAN, if we bid high enough. The relevant question is whether we SHOULD. This is exactly the KIND of situation we should be all over. But as for evaluating this particular player and his worth, I leave it in the capable hands of Andy and company. In AM, I trust.

But when all is said and done, if at the end of the day we wake away empty-handed, would I be disappointed? In the words of the retiring Alaska Gov, you betcha. (It wouldn't mean we did anything wrong. But I sure hope that bidding for Sano stays within Andy's presumably pre-set limits.)

This is a fantastic description of the Sano situation. I wish this post could be stickied at the top of the Minors section.

Just my two cents, but of the names listed among players who have recently been designated for assignment by the Rays, the one I would most like to get in return for Zaun is R.J. Swindle. He has struggled in his brief time in the majors with the Phillies & Rays (only 11.1 IP), but his minor league stats are just ridiculously good. He's 26 years old, lefthanded, and if you look at his career stats in the minors, he gives up less H than IP (only 337 H in 397 IP), doesn't give up many homeruns (11), doesn't walk many (76), and has more K than IP (400 K). His career WHIP is 1.04.

Considering that lefties are always valuable, we only have 1 in our bullpen, he's still pretty young, and Swindle's minor league stats suggest that he's better than he's shown in his brief time in the majors, I think he's the guy we should try to get in return for Zaun. I doubt we could get a solid prospect for Zaun considering he's an older catcher that's really more of a backup. Therefore, I think a more reasonable expectation is that the O's can select Swindle from a list of players, including the other guys designated for assignment (Meloan, Dillon, & Hernandez).

At first I thought Meloan would be the guy to target, but his high walk rates scare me and we've seen way too many of those guys on the pitching staff in recent years. He does strike out a lot of guys as well, but he's going to put way too many guys on base to make his strikeouts valuable enough. He kind of reminds me of Sarfate in that sense, but the difference is that Sarfate throws much harder than Meloan and can get away with his wildness more easily because he has a swing and miss fastball, which Meloan doesn't have (from reports I've seen). Not to mention, we don't need 2 Sarfate's in the bullpen (when he returns).

Who's with me on targeting Swindle? And if not, who would you target (and be reasonable....we are not getting Reid Brignac).

Just my two cents, but of the names listed among players who have recently been designated for assignment by the Rays, the one I would most like to get in return for Zaun is R.J. Swindle. He has struggled in his brief time in the majors with the Phillies & Rays (only 11.1 IP), but his minor league stats are just ridiculously good. He's 26 years old, lefthanded, and if you look at his career stats in the minors, he gives up less H than IP (only 337 H in 397 IP), doesn't give up many homeruns (11), doesn't walk many (76), and has more K than IP (400 K). His career WHIP is 1.04.

Considering that lefties are always valuable, we only have 1 in our bullpen, he's still pretty young, and Swindle's minor league stats suggest that he's better than he's shown in his brief time in the majors, I think he's the guy we should try to get in return for Zaun. I doubt we could get a solid prospect for Zaun considering he's an older catcher that's really more of a backup. Therefore, I think a more reasonable expectation is that the O's can select Swindle from a list of players, including the other guys designated for assignment (Meloan, Dillon, & Hernandez).

At first I thought Meloan would be the guy to target, but his high walk rates scare me and we've seen way too many of those guys on the pitching staff in recent years. He does strike out a lot of guys as well, but he's going to put way too many guys on base to make his strikeouts valuable enough. He kind of reminds me of Sarfate in that sense, but the difference is that Sarfate throws much harder than Meloan and can get away with his wildness more easily because he has a swing and miss fastball, which Meloan doesn't have (from reports I've seen). Not to mention, we don't need 2 Sarfate's in the bullpen (when he returns).

Who's with me on targeting Swindle? And if not, who would you target (and be reasonable....we are not getting Reid Brignac).

I agree that this seems like the kind of player we could reasonably hope to get for Zaun. I'd want to know more about what the scouts say about Swindle's stuff, but if he can get lefties out, then that certainly fills a hole in our organization at the moment.

Do you think we can land Sano?

This is a fantastic description of the Sano situation. I wish this post could be stickied at the top of the Minors section.
Gee thanks, Mackus. That's about the nicest thing that's ever been said about one of my posts. Just goes to show, once again, that even a broken clock can say something insightful twice a day. :D

Gee thanks, Mackus. That's about the nicest thing that's ever been said about one of my posts. Just goes to show, once again, that even a broken clock can say something insightful twice a day. :D
Twice? I haven't seen you post anything else insightful today. :)

Archived