Zaun to the Rays

Miller192

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But Sherrill was just a more or less unknown 31 year old middle innings guy when he came to the O's. It was only then that he was made into a closer and became a star. Does your friend think that could never happen with another player?

Not sure, but if I was guessing I would say as a long time fan he realizes how difficult throughout the history of the team to land a top echelon closer. They have only had as many truly good ones that I can nearly count on one hand over their entire existence!

1. Don Stanhouse/Stu Miller (tie)

2. Gregg Olson

3. Lee Smith

4. Randy Myers

5. BJ Ryan (one year only)

6. George Sherrill.

It seems that the veterans are more and more becoming anti-Trembley or just not Trembley guys. I'm somewhat amazed by this as Trembley has always shown respect and given these guys a longer leash than they certainly would have on any other club.

I guess when the sun starts setting on your career, it takes a little while for it to sink in.

You're a Ravens guy, you should know how this story goes. Billick was the ultimate player-friendly coach and the veteran players ran him out of town as much as anyone else (FO, owner, media, fans, etc).

Not sure, but if I was guessing I would say as a long time fan he realizes how difficult throughout the history of the team to land a top echelon closer. They have only had as many truly good ones that I can nearly count on one hand over their entire existence!

1. Don Stanhouse/Stu Miller (tie)

2. Gregg Olson

3. Lee Smith

4. Randy Myers

5. BJ Ryan (one year only)

6. George Sherrill.

I dig Tippy Martinez for this list

Below are some comments from the St. Petersburg Times newspaper Saturday about the Zaun trade;

The player to be named, by rules, can't be anyone on the current major-league roster and likely will be determined next week.

Zaun makes $1.5 million this season and has a $2 million option for 2010, which because of the trade becomes mutual rather than team only, or a $500,000 buyout.

Three players who are on the injured list currently for Tampa are Fernando Perez, 26, OF, Akinori Iwamura, 30, 2B or 3B and Jason Isringhausen, 37, closer.

Iwamura played 120 games at 3B in 2007 with only 7 errors. Mora had 14 errors in 124 games in 2008 and has 7 so far in 2009 in 81 games. Iwamura has a career .283 BA and was hitting .310 before getting injured earlier after playing 44 games. He is a nice player whose offense is better suited for 2B. Little power which is needed from the 3B position. He's currently making $3,250,000. He is due to start a Rehab Assignment soon and has been working out and looks like he is ready to play. Could this spell the end for Melvin if he is the player? Could he be our 2B in 2010 if Roberts is dealt to the Cubs or another team in the off season?

We don't need outfielders according to AM so I doubt it's Perez and Isringhausen only makes $750,000 and is recovering from a torn right elbow ligament. Put on the 60 day list in June. I doubt he's the player.

I think Iwamura could be the player as speculated by another OH member which would be another steal for AM.

Below are some comments from the St. Petersburg Times newspaper Saturday about the Zaun trade;

The player to be named, by rules, can't be anyone on the current major-league roster and likely will be determined next week.

Zaun makes $1.5 million this season and has a $2 million option for 2010, which because of the trade becomes mutual rather than team only, or a $500,000 buyout.

Three players who are on the injured list currently for Tampa are Fernando Perez, 26, OF, Akinori Iwamura, 30, 2B or 3B and Jason Isringhausen, 37, closer.

Iwamura played 120 games at 3B in 2007 with only 7 errors. Mora had 14 errors in 124 games in 2008 and has 7 so far in 2009 in 81 games. Iwamura has a career .283 BA and was hitting .310 before getting injured earlier after playing 44 games. He is a nice player whose offense is better suited for 2B. Little power which is needed from the 3B position. He's currently making $3,250,000. He is due to start a Rehab Assignment soon and has been working out and looks like he is ready to play. Could this spell the end for Melvin if he is the player? Could he be our 2B in 2010 if Roberts is dealt to the Cubs or another team in the off season?

We don't need outfielders according to AM so I doubt it's Perez and Isringhausen only makes $750,000 and is recovering from a torn right elbow ligament. Put on the 60 day list in June. I doubt he's the player.

I think Iwamura could be the player as speculated by another OH member which would be another steal for AM.

Intriguing, isn't it.

Iwamura would look quite nice batting 2nd with his career .356 OBP and playing 3B. That would move Jones to third and Markakis to four to break up the two lefties Iwamura and Markakis.

Robert 2B (s)

Iwamura 3B (l)

Jones CF ®

Markakis RF (l)

Reimold LF ®

Huff 1B (l)

Wieters C ®

Scott DH (l)

Izturis SS (s)

Iwamura has a club option for 2010 at 4.25M. He becomes a FA after that if he isn't signed to an extension or a new contract. He would be a nice stop gap until Bell is ready. If I recall, Iwamura was a gold glove 3B in Japan. The only question is if the club option remains a team only option if he's traded. I only ask because it seems as though Zaun's option became a mutual option instead of a team option once he was traded.

I am liking this Iwamura idea. Does anyone know what / how serious his injury is and when he is expected to return?

I am liking this Iwamura idea. Does anyone know what / how serious his injury is and when he is expected to return?

I was thinking the same (and it works for both teams). O's need a stop gap at third next year and are more concerned with defense. Rays can cut payroll and improve at the catcher position.

Fingers crossed.

Iwamura torn an ACL on May 25th and had surgery a couple of weeks later.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090525&content_id=4943434&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

From MLB.com Fantasy News August 8th:

He's made significant progress since hurting his knee May 24. Iwamura took grounders for the first time on July 28 to a successful review and manager Joe Maddon appears optimistic that he'll get his second baseman soon enough. "I watched him take batting practice and he looked great," Maddon said. "We're getting close to [a rehab assignment]. I don't know exactly but he looks pretty good."

From MLB.com Fantasy News July 29th:

If Iwamura returns as early as expected, in mid-to -late August, there's been no decision yet about what his role will be. Ben Zobrist has emerged as an All-Star second baseman in his absence.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/news/index.jsp?action=locate&pid=493127

Zobrist has been the main 2nd baseman and infield backup Willy Aybar is have a very good season with 10 HR, 30 RBI and a 819 OPS in 187 at bats.

If Iwamura does not go on rehab until the 11th he can stay on rehab until the rosters expand.

It may be almost too much to ask to get Iwamura in return for Zaun but Zaun could be very important to Tampa the rest of the year considering how their catchers have played. Zaun caught a 10-4 win for the Rays last night.

As far as I know, a PTBNL has to "change leagues" which means a guy on a AL DL can't come to us as a PTBNL.

edit:

There are two restrictions at work here. First, the transaction must be completed within six months. And second, the player named later can't have played in the same league as the team he's being traded to. That's why the player named later is almost always a minor leaguer.

http://static.espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

The fact that you're on a DL doesn't trump the fact that you're still a ML player in the same league.

As far as I know, a PTBNL has to "change leagues" which means a guy on a AL DL can't come to us as a PTBNL.

edit:

http://static.espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

The fact that you're on a DL doesn't trump the fact that you're still a ML player in the same league.

Neither Baseball-reference.com nor Cot's show the changing league restriction.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Player_to_be_named_later

Cot's Baseball Contracts

Player To Be Named Later

A transaction including a player to be named later must be completed within six months. The player may not be an active Major League player during the interval between the trade and the date the player is named. As a result, most players to be named later are minor leaguers.

At the time of a trade, clubs sometimes agree on a list of players from which the player to be named will be selected. They also may agree on an amount of money to be exchanged in lieu of a player.

Clubs may include a player to be named later in a trade if a player is not eligible to be traded. For example, once a draft pick signs a professional contract, he may not be traded until an entire year has elapsed (the Pete Incaviglia Rule). Additionally, a player on a minor-league reserve list may not be traded between November 20 and the Rule 5 draft in December, so trades during that window may include a PTBNL.

______

I am not saying the change league rule is right or wrong. Just that I can't seem to verify it any where else.

Archived