Zaun to the Rays

Miller192

I've done some checking around with different sources and this is what I've pieced together. Before I do this, I want to repeat that I don't know any of this for sure. I'm not reporting this on the front page, just spreading what I heard through some decent sources.

First of all, Zaun was not a Trembley guy. Zaun has a pretty high opinion of himself and wants to start. I was told Zaun is not a bad egg per se, but since he and Trembley supposedly did not see eye to eye on some things, the thought may have been that it's better to let Zaun go once he was claimed on waivers by Tampa Bay since Chad Moeller is a Crash Davis type guy, minus the minor league power the fictional Davis had. Moeller is a guy who knows and accepts his role, works extremely well with young pitchers, and will be glad to help out Wieters.

With less than two months left in the season, the orioles may look at this as a win-win situation. Zaun gets a chance to go to a winner while the team gets a guy who will be glad to play once a week behind Wieters and who is like an extra coach on the bench. Add into the equation that Rick Dempsey's nephew is no longer in Trembley's clubhouse (read into that however you like).

As with Bradford, don't expect much in return if all of this is true.

I'd have to say that I don't find this very surprising.

While I like Zaun, I'm sure he's the type of competitive guy who likes to play a lot more than once a week.

I like Moeller as he definitely knows his role and seems like a real student of the game. He strikes me as the type of guy who could wind up being a manager some day.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've done some checking around with different sources and this is what I've pieced together. Before I do this, I want to repeat that I don't know any of this for sure. I'm not reporting this on the front page, just spreading what I heard through some decent sources.

First of all, Zaun was not a Trembley guy. Zaun has a pretty high opinion of himself and wants to start. I was told Zaun is not a bad egg per se, but since he and Trembley supposedly did not see eye to eye on some things, the thought may have been that it's better to let Zaun go once he was claimed on waivers by Tampa Bay since Chad Moeller is a Crash Davis type guy, minus the minor league power the fictional Davis had. Moeller is a guy who knows and accepts his role, works extremely well with young pitchers, and will be glad to help out Wieters.

With less than two months left in the season, the orioles may look at this as a win-win situation. Zaun gets a chance to go to a winner while the team gets a guy who will be glad to play once a week behind Wieters and who is like an extra coach on the bench. Add into the equation that Rick Dempsey's nephew is no longer in Trembley's clubhouse (read into that however you like).

If true, this is surprising considering Zaun knew what he was getting into when he signed here.

Add into the equation that Rick Dempsey's nephew is no longer in Trembley's clubhouse (read into that however you like).
Since you've given us leverage to read into things...the last time Uncle Rick was in uniform, one of his lesser known duties was an informer for Angelos, at Mazzilli's expense. Even if the nephew wasn't the rat that his uncle reportedly was, this move does seem to be a vote in Trembley's favor.

Since you've given us leverage to read into things...the last time Uncle Rick was in uniform, one of his lesser known duties was an informer for Angelos, at Mazzilli's expense. Even if the nephew wasn't the rat that his uncle reportedly was, this move does seem to be a vote in Trembley's favor.

Also didn't Dempsey want the manager's job when Trembley got it? Perhaps he was stirring the pot at the family dinner table?

Also didn't Dempsey want the manager's job when Trembley got it? Perhaps he was stirring the pot at the family dinner table?

Yeah Dempsey was pretty upset if I recall that he did not get the job.

I will say this, if Dempsey ever becomes the manager of the O's I will be trashing all of my O's gear and wash my hands of the team all together. Now with that said, I can't imagine McPhail would ever do something so incredibly stupid.

Who is going to hit in the 9th with 2 on / 2 out ? Wieters can't handle that type of pressure ...at least that is what some stated on the other thread

Um, no. Nobody said any such thing. But don't let that stop you...

I just read 15 pages of comments waiting for someone to come up with the guess that I have.

The O's just traded Zaun for Iwamura. He is a PTBNL because the O's want to see him rehab his knee before they accept him. The alternative is cash.

Iwamura played 3B part of the first year with Tampa. He would be the O's stop gap 3B next year and bat 2nd in the order putting a high OBP guy between Roberts and the RBI guys. His three year OBP is .356.

Here is what MLB.com Fantasy New has to say about Iwamura on JULY 29th:

Akinori Iwamura took ground balls on Tuesday for the first time since injuring his knee in late May, and he will do the same on Wednesday as he continues to rehab from surgery last month.

There is still no timetable as to when Iwamura can begin a Minor League rehab stint, and a large, bulky brace remains on his knee. If Iwamura returns as early as expected, in mid-to -late August, there's been no decision yet about what his role will be. Ben Zobrist has emerged as an All-Star second baseman in his absence.

COTS contracts says:

Akinori Iwamura inf

3 years/$7.7M (2007-09), plus 2010 club option

signed by Tampa Bay 12/06

07:$1.8M, 08:$2.4M, 09:$3.25M, 10:$4.25M club option ($0.25M buyout)

2010 option may increase to $5.25M ($0.75M buyout) based on PAs, 07-09

contract includes clause requiring TB to sign Iwamura to extension by end of the deal or release him (effectively granting him free agency early)agent: Alan Nero, CSMG

________

So if Tampa does not trade him by the end of his deal. Maybe the end of the season, he would become a FA because he has not role in Tampa..

What do you think? Am I smoking funny stuff here?

I hope your right wildcard, as that would be an amazing trade.

Andrew,

If what Tony suggested is true, it's good move by MacPhail and is what, on the surface, appears to be a solid vote of confidence for Trembley. If the Orioles feel Wieter's needs a mentor, Moeller would seem to be the right guy.

For whatever reason, my gut thinks this move may have been accelerated by Zaun's somewhat nonchalant 9th inning AB against Detroit. Trembley obviously wasn't happy about it, but who knows?

Thanks for sharing, Tony! I totally agree this is a win-win for us, for now and the future. I don't have any quotes to reference, but there were many times where I got the indication from Zaun or Trembley that Trembley wanted Wieters in there more, but felt he had to show respect to the veteran. Moeller will go a long way toward Wieters' development!

As I said in a PM, thank you for posting this information for the community. You set a great example on quality, fair journalism and I'm proud to be a part of this site!

Archived