Zaun to the Rays

Miller192

As far as I know, a PTBNL has to "change leagues" which means a guy on a AL DL can't come to us as a PTBNL.

edit:

http://static.espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

The fact that you're on a DL doesn't trump the fact that you're still a ML player in the same league.

Yes he can. Micah Owings was traded from the Dbacks DL to the Reds last year as a PTBNL. That's actually the only way you can trade an DLed player, I believe.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Iwamura torn an ACL on May 25th and had surgery a couple of weeks later.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090525&content_id=4943434&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

From MLB.com Fantasy News August 8th:

He's made significant progress since hurting his knee May 24. Iwamura took grounders for the first time on July 28 to a successful review and manager Joe Maddon appears optimistic that he'll get his second baseman soon enough. "I watched him take batting practice and he looked great," Maddon said. "We're getting close to [a rehab assignment]. I don't know exactly but he looks pretty good."

From MLB.com Fantasy News July 29th:

If Iwamura returns as early as expected, in mid-to -late August, there's been no decision yet about what his role will be. Ben Zobrist has emerged as an All-Star second baseman in his absence.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/news/index.jsp?action=locate&pid=493127

Zobrist has been the main 2nd baseman and infield backup Willy Aybar is have a very good season with 10 HR, 30 RBI and a 819 OPS in 187 at bats.

If Iwamura does not go on rehab until the 11th he can stay on rehab until the rosters expand.

It may be almost too much to ask to get Iwamura in return for Zaun but Zaun could be very important to Tampa the rest of the year considering how their catchers have played. Zaun caught a 10-4 win for the Rays last night.

I could of sworn I read somewhere (Will Carroll maybe) that Iwamura didn't have surgery. In fact, the reason they waited so long was to wait for the swelling to subside and see if the ACL was torn enough to require surgery (which I believe it didn't).

I'll dig around and see if I can find the linkage.

Edit: From your second link:

Monday's surgery repaired the torn medial meniscus in Iwamura's knee, but also brought the good news that the second baseman had suffered only a partial tear of his anterior cruciate ligament. This made it possible for the surgeons to use arthroscopic surgery rather than reconstruction surgery, which was the original diagnosis, and should significantly hasten Iwamura's return. The injury had been considered season-ending, but now the Rays are reporting that Iwamura could return to game activity in six to eight weeks.

So he didn't have full reconstructive surgery on his ACL. Just on his meniscus.

Yes he can. Micah Owings was traded from the Dbacks DL to the Reds last year as a PTBNL. That's actually the only way you can trade an DLed player, I believe.

IIRC, Owings was in AAA when when this trade was made. He wasn't on the DBacks DL.

No, you can trade a player on the DL just like if he isn't on the DL.

IIRC, Owings was in AAA when when this trade was made. He wasn't on the DBacks DL.
No, you can trade a player on the DL just like if he isn't on the DL.

My mistake, this is what I meant

Owings has not yet been placed on waivers, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon. John Fay says that's because an injured player cannot be placed on waivers, and Owings is dealing with shoulder stiffness. Owings will be put on waivers when he's healthy, though the deal will still be completed in the offseason if a team claims him before the Reds.

Linkhttp://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/dunn-traded-to.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/transactions?team=ari&year=2008

August 11, 2008 Acquired outfielder Adam Dunn and cash considerations from the Cincinnati Reds for pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named; transferred second baseman Orlando Hudson to the 60-day disabled list.

August 11, 2008 Placed second baseman Orlando Hudson on the 15-day disabled list; transferred pitcher Edgar Gonzalez to the 60-day disabled list; purchased the contract of outfielder Jeff Salazar from Tucson of the Pacific Coast League (AAA).

August 6, 2008 Agreed to terms with pitcher Dan Haren on a four-year contract extension with a club option for 2013.

July 29, 2008 Optioned pitcher Micah Owings to Tucson of Pacific Coast League (AAA); recalled pitcher Jailen Peguero from Tucson.

Owings was in AAA when the trade was made. If he was on a DL it could have been a MiL 7 day DL.

If someone can find an example of a PTBNL who was on a 40 man roster and not on an optional assignment, and got traded to a team in the same league, I'd love to see it. You can go from AL to NL or minors to majors, but not AL to AL (or NL to NL).

I don't think Iwamura can come to us, that's my point.

Wasn't the Adam Stern trade from Boston to the Orioles for Javy Lopez proof you can trade in the same league? Stern was in the minors. The Rays are going to send Iwamura to their AAA Durham Bulls minor league team to rehab. As long as he is on the Durham roster when the deal is made how would this be different than the Stern - Lopez deal?

Wasn't the Adam Stern trade from Boston to the Orioles for Javy Lopez proof you can trade in the same league? Stern was in the minors. The Rays are going to send Iwamura to their AAA Durham Bulls minor league team to rehab. As long as he is on the Durham roster when the deal is made how would this be different than the Stern - Lopez deal?

There is no way we are getting Iwamura for a 38 year old backup catcher. Would you trade Iwamura for Chad Moeller? Because that is essentially what you are saying. I think expectations really need to be tempered on the return here.

There is no way we are getting Iwamura for a 38 year old backup catcher. Would you trade Iwamura for Chad Moeller? Because that is essentially what you are saying. I think expectations really need to be tempered on the return here.

I would think you are right. I am guessing it will be someone very few have heard of.

Zaun's probably their starter now. He's having a much better year than Navarro.

Tampa is already on record as having to cut payroll for next season. Iwamura makes a fair amount of money and currently does not have a starting position on the team.

I am not saying it is likely that Iwamua is the PTBNL but it is within the realm of reason.

Tampa is already on record as having to cut payroll for next season. Iwamura makes a fair amount of money and currently does not have a starting position on the team.

I am not saying it is likely that Iwamua is the PTBNL but it is within the realm of reason.

Yep. This.;)

Tampa is not acting like a team that has to cut payroll. Not only did the trade for Zaun for about 500K over the last to months, they also claimed Russ Springer for over $1M.

That is about $1.5 added.

Iwamura's remain salary for this year is a little over a $1M.

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

From Cot's Baseball Contract:

Russ Springer rhp

1 year/$3.3M (2009)

1 year/$3.3M (2009)

signed by Oakland as a free agent 1/29/09

performance bonuses: $50,000 each for 35, 45, 52, 57, 62, 67 games

award bonuses: $50,000 each for All Star, LCS MVP; $0.1M each for Gold Glove, WS MVP; $0.1M each for MVP, Cy Young, Rolaids award ($75,000 for 2nd in vote, $50,000 for 3rd)

claimed by Tampa Bay off waivers from Oakland 8/8/09

In the next few day Iwamura will be assigned to the minors on rehab. Does that qualify as being in another league?

Tampa is not acting like a team that has to cut payroll. Not only did the trade for Zaun for about 500K over the last to months, they also claimed Russ Springer for over $1M.

That is about $1.5 added.

Iwamura's remain salary for this year is a little over a $1M.

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

From Cot's Baseball Contract:

Russ Springer rhp

1 year/$3.3M (2009)

1 year/$3.3M (2009)

signed by Oakland as a free agent 1/29/09

performance bonuses: $50,000 each for 35, 45, 52, 57, 62, 67 games

award bonuses: $50,000 each for All Star, LCS MVP; $0.1M each for Gold Glove, WS MVP; $0.1M each for MVP, Cy Young, Rolaids award ($75,000 for 2nd in vote, $50,000 for 3rd)

claimed by Tampa Bay off waivers from Oakland 8/8/09

In the next few day Iwamura will be assigned to the minors on rehab. Does that qualify as being in another league?

...and when they give us Iwamura that drops it back to $500,000 added...;)

Archived