It's time for the next step

33rdst

Most of the young arms are up. The greek god of catchers has arrived. The young outfield is ready to emerge as an offensive and defensive force. And the back end of the rotation has been solidified. It is time for MacPhail to take the next step in the "plan" to make this club competitive in the AL East.

It is time to add some free agent talent to take us over the top. Adding a middle of the order force with a championship pedigree, like Glaus, would be a good start. Adding a LaRoche or Johnson or even Blalock at firstbase would enhance the middle of our order and give us a chance against the bigboys. And if somehow we could add a top of the rotaiton starter, like Lackey, the pundits will be talking aobut the O's the way the did about the Rays last year.

There's no need to worry about these guys blocking our youth because they could be easily traded should Snyder and Bell emerge mid season.

Phase one is over Andy. It's time for phase II to commence.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The free agents that you have mentioned are not going to bring this team any closer to contention than the Orioles would be otherwise. Short of Chone Figgins, there really aren't many attractive free agents this year.

Bingo, Figgins, Lackey and maybe Glaus are the only attractive FAs out there that could make any difference.

We need to sign Lackey and then trade for an impact bat. That should be our plan of attack if we want to take the next step.

We aren't taking any steps filling holes with a LaRoche or Blalock. That's just keeping us treading water IMO.

Bingo, Figgins, Lackey and maybe Glaus are the only attractive FAs out there that could make any difference.

We need to sign Lackey and then trade for an impact bat. That should be our plan of attack if we want to take the next step.

We aren't taking any steps filling holes with a LaRoche or Blalock. That's just keeping us treading water IMO.

Instead of trading away our good prospects for a big bat, why not sign Bay or Holliday?

Instead of trading away our good prospects for a big bat, why not sign Bay or Holliday?

I wouldn't mind going after Holliday I suppose, but Bay is on the wrong side of 30. We need impact bats that are young enough to have enough prime years to compete for an extended period.

And I just see trading for a bat as a more realistic option that landing Holliday with the competitive teams that will be bidding on him as the best FA bat available.

What's with all the Glaus love? What are the chances that AM will sign a guy that's often hurt and at one time had steroids shipped to his house?

Because he's a fairly low risk/lower cost signing that has the possibility of overachieving. That's MacPhail's perfect FA.

I wouldn't mind going after Holliday I suppose, but Bay is on the wrong side of 30. We need impact bats that are young enough to have enough prime years to compete for an extended period.

And I just see trading for a bat as a more realistic option that landing Holliday with the competitive teams that will be bidding on him as the best FA bat available.

Bay is 31, Holliday is 30. Is there that big of a difference in age?

Don't you think teams will be bidding on AGon if he is available? We may have a deeper farm system, but we are less likely to trade from it until guys start to pan out.

The amount saved in terms of prospects by signing Holliday instead of trading for AGon is huge.

The free agents that you have mentioned are not going to bring this team any closer to contention than the Orioles would be otherwise. Short of Chone Figgins, there really aren't many attractive free agents this year.

The Orioles have a lead off hitter. What they need is a middle of the order rbi producer. Although a risk, I think Glaus could be that guy. Plus, we could move him to first base if Bell dominates AAA next year.

I don't want to speak for JTrea but to me he sees it as what combo would you rather have.

Team A:

Wieters

A. Gonzalez

Roberts

SS

Bell

Reimold

Jones

Markakis

Lackey

Matusz

Herenandez

Bergesen

Arrieta

or

Team B:

Wieters

Snyder

Roberts

SS

Bell

Holliday

Jones

Markakis

Tillman

Matusz

Herenandez

Bergesen

Arrieta

So basically

Gonzalez Lackey and Reimold

or

Snyder Tillman and Holliday

For me I would take Team A cause Gonzlaez is better than Holliday Reimold is better then Snyder and for now Lackey is better than Tillman. On top of that it gives us a true number one starter for next season.

I understand that it would take more then Snyder and Tillman to get Gonzalez but I am not sure how much more.

The Orioles have a lead off hitter. What they need is a middle of the order rbi producer. Although a risk, I think Glaus could be that guy. Plus, we could move him to first base if Bell dominates AAA next year.

Nah, signing Figgins would be ideal. With him hitting leadoff and BRob hitting second we would have two great leadoff hitters 1-2. With all the doubles BRob gets, Figgins would be a huge beneficiary of BRob. The only issue becomes what to do when Bell is ready.

Archived