It's time for the next step

33rdst

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need to add:

Another top of the order hitter to turn singles/walks into doubles. Give us a higher chance to win 2-1 games.

A true slugger

A TOR pitcher

I suppose Holliday, Lackey and Figgins would fit the requirements. Although I would prefer a bigger slugger than Holliday will likely be.

I understand that it would take more then Snyder and Tillman to get Gonzalez but I am not sure how much more.

I would guess you gotta throw in Arrieta/Britton; Bell instead of Snyder b/c they already have Blanks; and Erbe/Hernandez/Bergy at least.

The benefits of signing Holliday instead of trading for AGon is that we only give up money. Also, they are equally good hitters (with a slight edge to Holliday), while Holliday is a great defensive player.

IMO, people need to stop thinking about Jason Bay, and Holliday. They are outfielders. We have 3 young, cost controlled, major upside, under control, left fielders already, oh and then there is that guy Luke Scott. Adding a 5th doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm sorry it just doesn't. I'm not saying we should only go for stop gap type of players for the corners. We need to look at places of need. We don't have to sign the biggest name on the FA market. Especially one that doesn't fit the model we are building. We aren't in the business of trading youth to plug holes. We are in the process of trading a surplus for youth. I think trading is indeed the way we will do it. I don't think we will "splurge" on the likes of Adrian Gonzalez. I thnk McPhail will wait to see how this season shapes out for a lot of teams. Let them decided what they need, find one that wants something we have, then go from there. It will happen. I'm inclined to think Texas, but it is just a guess.

Because he's a fairly low risk/lower cost signing that has the possoffensive solutionibility of overachieving. That's MacPhail's perfect FA.

IMO the Orioles are a lot like the A's were a few years ago. They don't need a long term offensive solution. If they could catch lighting in a bottle for a year, ala Frank Thomas, they could compete while their young sluggers continue to develop for the future.

IMO, people need to stop thinking about Jason Bay, and Holliday. They are outfielders. We have 3 young, cost controlled, major upside, under control, left fielders already, oh and then there is that guy Luke Scott. Adding a 5th doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm sorry it just doesn't. I'm not saying we should only go for stop gap type of players for the corners. We need to look at places of need. We don't have to sign the biggest name on the FA market. Especially one that doesn't fit the model we are building. We aren't in the business of trading youth to plug holes. We are in the process of trading a surplus for youth. I think trading is indeed the way we will do it. I don't think we will "splurge" on the likes of Adrian Gonzalez. I thnk McPhail will wait to see how this season shapes out for a lot of teams. Let them decided what they need, find one that wants something we have, then go from there. It will happen. I'm inclined to think Texas, but it is just a guess.

How does this not make sense?

LF: Holliday

DH: Reimold

1B: Scott

4OF: Pie

Then trade Scott when Snyder is ready.

LF: Holliday --- Excess of money on a position we have already filled.

DH: Reimold --- Is still pretty young and has major upside and his defense is improving

1B: Scott -- He is not, I repeat, not a first baseman. Defense in the infield turns singles into outs. Luke Scott is not going to do this.

4OF: Pie -- yet another reason to not add Holliday.

I would happy if we make a run at Alex Gordon . If he fails again so what. KC sent him down. We can take a chance till Bell is ready and then sign Nick Johnson,

I really dont see what the love affair is about with Johnson. He has hit more than 20 HR's once in his entire career and can't seem to make it an entire season without going on the DL.

DH: Reimold --- Is still pretty young and has major upside and his defense is improving

How is it improving? He's playing injured now, and most of the time he is the DH.

For Holliday, the position he fills is power hitter and great LF. You have no idea if Scott can play 1B, the team really doesn't, that's why they're trying him out there. Finally, if it comes down to Pie as the reason for not signing Holliday then you are really stretching.

How does this not make sense?

LF: Holliday

DH: Reimold

1B: Scott

4OF: Pie

Then trade Scott when Snyder is ready.

I agree Snyder has not shown yet he's ML ready, so he will likely spend at least until June in AAA.

However, I'm not sure Scott is the answer at 1B. Considering the lack of quality FA bats out there this offseason, Scott could be in demand. So I might trade him and sign Glaus to play 1B.

Glaus, Holliday and Lackey could upgrade this team significantly if we could somehow land all three. But I just don't think that's realistic.

IMO, people need to stop thinking about Jason Bay, and Holliday. They are outfielders. We have 3 young, cost controlled, major upside, under control, left fielders already, oh and then there is that guy Luke Scott.

I see the first two (Reimold and Pie) but who is the 3rd? I seriously hope you aren't talking about Montanez... he's not young, and has just started to be able to hit AAA pitching. And at 27 (28 in Dec) he really doesn't have a whole lot of upside left.

Bingo, Figgins, Lackey and maybe Glaus are the only attractive FAs out there that could make any difference.

We need to sign Lackey and then trade for an impact bat. That should be our plan of attack if we want to take the next step.

We aren't taking any steps filling holes with a LaRoche or Blalock. That's just keeping us treading water IMO.

I agree for the most part that a LaRoche or a Johnson won't help. I see LaRoche almost as a poor man's Huff. However, I do like Glaus, as you mentioned, and I do like Holliday. I think he may not be as expensive as some think and would be a real good bat to pick up.

Back to Glaus, I think he could manifest as a real solid pick up, and once Bell arrives, move to DH and hit in that 5/6 spot for a few years, provided he is healthy.

I really dont see what the love affair is about with Johnson. He has hit more than 20 HR's once in his entire career and can't seem to make it an entire season without going on the DL.

He's an OBP machine, who is pretty good defensively. Lifetime .849 OPS.

Glaus, Holliday and Lackey could upgrade this team significantly if we could somehow land all three. But I just don't think that's realistic.

I think we have a good shot at Glaus. Holliday will either resign with the Cardinals or will end up with the Yankees or Redsox. Lackey will be a Redsock IMO and I wouldn't count the Yankees out on him. Their rotation will be losing Pettitte and has Mitre in it.

Archived