2010 draftees

http://scoutspeak.blogspot.com/

I saw that some folks here were curious about the upcoming potential draftees and I came across this little site that shows who some of the best prospects are for the upcoming draft, HS, JuCo and College.

Another interesting little nugget there is the rankings of the top JUCO eligible draftee for 2010. Of course Harper was the top JUCO prospect, but the 2nd name on that list caught me by surprise. Randy Henry, our 4th rounder from the 09 draft was slated to be the 2nd best JUCO prospect in the 2010 draft if he would have ended up not signing, so basically, if it werent for Bryce Harper going to JUCO to get drafted early, Randy Henry would be the top JUCO prospect for the 2010 draft if he hadnt signed. Just figured Id throw that out there to those of you who think he was an overdraft....I personally cannot wait until hes pitching in our system.....

I know that it is early on, but I am really hoping that the O's come away with the pitcher from LSU. A 6'7" righty with mid 90's fastball sounds like another great addition to our stable of young arms.

Ranaudo or Pomeranz are the 2 arms Id be happiest to get, followed by Osrich. Brentz is the position player Id be shooting for if available as well. Ill be happy with anywhere in the top 5 picks....Itll be interetsing though who comes out of nowhere this year into the top 5

After hearing that apparently scouts are throwing Taillon up there with Beckett and Porcello speaks large volumes about him IMO, but then again, is that pre draft hype? Its not your typical pre-draft hype because we are like 10 months away, but Id love to know more about the kid. When drafting Pomeranz or Ranaudo, you are taking such less risk and it would take less time to get them to the ML. Didnt Ranaudo improve his command this past season? Id also love to get some sort of a scouting report on both Taillon and Cole....

After hearing that apparently scouts are throwing Taillon up there with Beckett and Porcello speaks large volumes about him IMO, but then again, is that pre draft hype? Its not your typical pre-draft hype because we are like 10 months away, but Id love to know more about the kid. When drafting Pomeranz or Ranaudo, you are taking such less risk and it would take less time to get them to the ML. Didnt Ranaudo improve his command this past season? Id also love to get some sort of a scouting report on both Taillon and Cole....

Cole looks like the best HS pitcher since Beckett or Porcello. I also really like Cam Bedrosian, son of Steve. Both of them have some great velocity and some polish on their secondary stuff with Cole having a better FB and Bedrosian having slightly better secondaries. Keep in mind I keep my HS stuff very thin until the year they are draft eligible, so until next March I won't spend much time on them...they just develop and change so much from one season to the next.

Cole looks like the best HS pitcher since Beckett or Porcello. I also really like Cam Bedrosian, son of Steve. Both of them have some great velocity and some polish on their secondary stuff with Cole having a better FB and Bedrosian having slightly better secondaries. Keep in mind I keep my HS stuff very thin until the year they are draft eligible, so until next March I won't spend much time on them...they just develop and change so much from one season to the next.

Yeah, I hear you on that. Those HS arms looks very intriguing though, already much better looking than any HS kids from 09. Once again, we will be in the situation to choose between higher ceiling and projectability or safety/modest ceiling between the HS and college arms, but both Pomeranz and Ranaudo look to be pretty nice.

Trea, Bryce Brentz is a very good offensive player for the 2010 draft. He brings somethign to the table that we havent seen since the 08 draft in the top of the 10 draft. He has the ability to hit for average, but also massive power, kinda like Ackley but with what some consider fringe plus-plus raw power. Also, Christian Colon has some good pop for SS and should be a pretty good hitting ML SS though it looks like the 2010 draft will once again be a pitcher's draft. The diff though is the safety and high ceiling with this draft. In 2009 if you wanted safety you werent getting much in ceiling. This year both Ranaudo and Pomeranz offer pretty good ceilings as well as safety.

I'd only consider taking Colon if our scouts thought that he would without a doubt project as a shortstop in the future. I think he offers a lot as a SS prospect, but his value takes a significant hit if he has to slide over to second, especially considering that we will have used a top 3-5 pick on him. He did put up a solid stat line with the national team, so it'll be interesting to see if he can continue to show power into his junior season. One of my buddies plays out in the Big West, and he raved about Colon's baseball skill and his demeanor on the field, so he should be a fun follow.

I like Brentz a lot, and we would easily be our best bat since Wieters. I think he'll have the bat to play 1B/OF, and his stroke looks like it belongs to a solid pure hitter. He did well with the national team but I'd be interested to see how well his college stats play outside of the Sun Belt conference.

I like Ranaudo more than Pomeranz because I think he offers more projection. I don't think either guy would be a poor choice, but at think that these two would be the 3rd and 4th best pitchers, respectively. I like the buzz around Taillon and Cole, and if we went pitcher with our 1st pick, I'd prefer it be one of these two. Of course, if the high school arms buy into their own hype, will they demand a Porcello-type MLB deal or will they command a 5-7 MM bonus? IDK, a lot remains to be seen but we are assured of a high pick, and I'm looking forward to Feb/March so that we can get this draft machine running full speed again.

Archived