7> New York Mets

8> Houston Astros

9> San Diego Padres

10> Oakland Athletics

11> Toronto Blue Jays

12> Cincinnati Reds

13> Chicago White Sox

14> Milwaukee Brewers

15> Texas Rangers (Failure to sign Purke)

16> Chicago Cubs

I wonder if we're going to regret giving the Pirates the second overall pick...

Of all the teams to jump out ahead of us in the draft order, Im happuiest with it being the Pirates. I could be completely wrong, but I just dont remember the last time the Pirates went with a HSer in the top of the 1st round. They normally seem to go with college guys, lately college position players. So I could see them going for a Brentz or maybe even Ranaudo. Theyve proven that they arent afraid to spend money on college guys if they really really like the guy. But if our sights are on Taillon or another HS arm, Im not too worried about the Bucs, but like I said, I could be ciompletely wrong....

Of all the teams to jump out ahead of us in the draft order, Im happuiest with it being the Pirates. I could be completely wrong, but I just dont remember the last time the Pirates went with a HSer in the top of the 1st round. They normally seem to go with college guys, lately college position players. So I could see them going for a Brentz or maybe even Ranaudo. Theyve proven that they arent afraid to spend money on college guys if they really really like the guy. But if our sights are on Taillon or another HS arm, Im not too worried about the Bucs, but like I said, I could be ciompletely wrong....

New FO in place, so there are only two picks to go on: Pedro Alvarez and Tony Sanchez. Now, even though they went with Sanchez in the 1st, they went overslot on HSers later in the draft.

I wouldn't count them out of grabbing a HSer, though it looks like their approach might focus heavily on maxing out a budget. So, if a special talent like Alvarez is available, they pay for him. But if no one stands out, look to leverage all of your budget to bring in the best total talent base in your draft class.

All that just to say, I think I agree with you and you could see them go the college pitcher route -- maybe a McGuire, Pomeranz, Sale, Blair, etc. Not sure what Ranaudo will be looking for now with Boras as advisor.

I really don't think that because we now have the 3rd pick that it means we will miss out on Taillon or Harper. I think people are already thinking that we have no shot at them now. There is going to be SO much change coming before the draft. I remember 2 years ago at this time, Matusz was the top player coming out of school and last year Grant Green was the second best prospect. Let's let it play out before we get upset about missing out on anyone.

I really don't think that because we now have the 3rd pick that it means we will miss out on Taillon or Harper. I think people are already thinking that we have no shot at them now. There is going to be SO much change coming before the draft. I remember 2 years ago at this time, Matusz was the top player coming out of school and last year Grant Green was the second best prospect. Let's let it play out before we get upset about missing out on anyone.

Yep, and last spring Givens was a mid-first round prospect with potential to move higher.

New FO in place, so there are only two picks to go on: Pedro Alvarez and Tony Sanchez. Now, even though they went with Sanchez in the 1st, they went overslot on HSers later in the draft.

I wouldn't count them out of grabbing a HSer, though it looks like their approach might focus heavily on maxing out a budget. So, if a special talent like Alvarez is available, they pay for him. But if no one stands out, look to leverage all of your budget to bring in the best total talent base in your draft class.

All that just to say, I think I agree with you and you could see them go the college pitcher route -- maybe a McGuire, Pomeranz, Sale, Blair, etc. Not sure what Ranaudo will be looking for now with Boras as advisor.

Yeah, I could see college pitcher or college SS, if someone defines himself (Hague or Colon). I figure they would like to get someone with a relatively short path. If Harper is there . . . I could see them dropping everything and going for him.

But, yeah, it is hard to figure out what they will do besides maxing out there pool.

Yeah, I could see college pitcher or college SS, if someone defines himself (Hague or Colon). I figure they would like to get someone with a relatively short path. If Harper is there . . . I could see them dropping everything and going for him.

But, yeah, it is hard to figure out what they will do besides maxing out there pool.

Hague's an interesting case in that I'm not sure where I slot him as a pro bat. I don't see the power for a mid-order type, and he doesn't really command the zone well enough yet to be a top of the order bat for me. He's someone that could really help himself out during the spring, particularly with the draft being light on top shelf positional prospects.

Provided Colon is back and healthy, he could project to something like an Orlando Hudson-esque 2B -- decent on-base skills, above-average hit tool with occasional pop and excellent defense at 2B. I think Colon could perhaps stick at SS, but his range could play better at 2B where he could be a well-above average defender.

Hague's an interesting case in that I'm not sure where I slot him as a pro bat. I don't see the power for a mid-order type, and he doesn't really command the zone well enough yet to be a top of the order bat for me. He's someone that could really help himself out during the spring, particularly with the draft being light on top shelf positional prospects.

Provided Colon is back and healthy, he could project to something like an Orlando Hudson-esque 2B -- decent on-base skills, above-average hit tool with occasional pop and excellent defense at 2B. I think Colon could perhaps stick at SS, but his range could play better at 2B where he could be a well-above average defender.

I agree largely with what you say about Hague. I think his true value will fall in somewhere in the 15-supp area based on how he develops this spring. I think though he is the kind of slot/below-slot player the Pirates might target if they are largely unimpressed by the talent level vs cost available to them and think that going overslot again is the right path. It is sort of a Sanchez move. Pitching-wise . . . something similar would be a Pomeranz, Sale, or Paxton.

The latter might make more sense. I think all three of those guys will move through the minors fast. Though . . . I think only Sale has the chance to be something special . . . it is not a great chance though.

It all harkens back to the Orioles going on a little tear at the end of the season and missing out on Tex by one pick that year. Although I find that the Pirates always seem to have a completely different take on how to spend money and what is considered 'top talent' than the Orioles have shown, so the Buccos could look at someone completely off the radar and reach... kinda like Hobgood was a reach.

It will be interesting to watch how it all plays out. A year ago, we were upset because Grant Green and Alex White were gonna be drafted before our slot. Its crazy, but regardless, I think Taillon remains among the elite. I could see Cole moving up. Theres even a few wildcards in it too like James Paxton, his stuff is very good, if he were to put it all together and pitch to his ability, he could make it into the top 5 or so....

I thing the important thing to remember is that it's the third pick...

Joe Jordan is going to have plenty of time to evaluate all the talent available and ultimately make the right decision. Worrying about what two other teams picking before them is pointless. Certainly better than picking say 10th where elite prospects begin to get thin. Regardless of who they choose it's still a project... they all are.

In the Majors out biggest needs are 1st -3rd and Closer... I don't think that pick should be made based upon those needs but do think so in subsequent rounds so long as the player has appropriate value. If the Orioles choose another player like Hobgood whom was projected to go much lower that is fine also so long as that player pans out.

I really like Hobgood- If he goes on to become a ML SP with an ERA of 4.25 but averages 225 IP year after year who cares who they skipped over. It's a different animal than Football where players are easier to project.

I thing the important thing to remember is that it's the third pick...

Joe Jordan is going to have plenty of time to evaluate all the talent available and ultimately make the right decision. Worrying about what two other teams picking before them is pointless. Certainly better than picking say 10th where elite prospects begin to get thin. Regardless of who they choose it's still a project... they all are.

In the Majors out biggest needs are 1st -3rd and Closer... I don't think that pick should be made based upon those needs but do think so in subsequent rounds so long as the player has appropriate value. If the Orioles choose another player like Hobgood whom was projected to go much lower that is fine also so long as that player pans out.

I really like Hobgood- If he goes on to become a ML SP with an ERA of 4.25 but averages 225 IP year after year who cares who they skipped over. It's a different animal than Football where players are easier to project.

Well, Im hoping Hobby is a bit better than that. But at this point its impossible to really project numbers like that. It is ok to draft for need IMO once you get deeper into the draft. Im pretty sure we will once again see another abundance of arms if we go with a bunch of overslotters again. There will be some good corner IFers who will be overslotters this year, so Im sure JJ will take advantage.....

Archived