I'm telling you...Matsui.

ejf1025

Alright...so you don't think we'll sign anyone. Would have been nice if you just said that up front, but what's an OH thread without the pointless musing sarcasm of Moose Milligan.

Awww, thanks SG! But I did say I didn't think we'd sign Matsui upfront but apparently reading comprehension isn't your strongest point.

To your credit, I didn't say anything about Blalock and Branyan.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awww, thanks SG! But I did say I didn't think we'd sign Matsui upfront but apparently reading comprehension isn't your strongest point.

To your credit, I didn't say anything about Blalock and Branyan.

LOL. I would love to live in your world...

1. Make sarcastic comment about hamburgers and that Matsui would never want to sign here....someone points out that like most athletes, he'd prob come if we paid him.

2. Respond with sarcastic post about the poster's "enthusiasm" and now say the O's wouldn't be interested.

3. Respond back saying the reason is that we don't need another OF, that McPhail wouldn't want to give up picks and there is no need for Matsui.

4. When someone points out that we wouldn't be giving up picks, Matsui wouldn't be playing in the OF and that McPhail himself has come out and said he's looking to add bats...you ignore this, say that we now don't need another 1B/DH type and that despite what McPhail has publicly stated we will stay with the youngsters.

5. Then someone points out that you indeed advocated the potential signing of not one but two other 1B/DH types...and you say it's not that you wouldn't mind signing them or Matsui...you just don't think it will happen.

I mean...what a great tactic. Make a point sarcastically and emphatically (Matsui wanting to sign here..."fat chance"), offer faulty and empirically flawed counter arguments, then re-qualify and soften your position until you've morphed it into a complete off-shoot.

Well done.

LOL. I would love to live in your world...

1. Make sarcastic comment about hamburgers and that Matsui would never want to sign here....someone points out that like most athletes, he'd prob come if we paid him.

2. Respond with sarcastic post about the poster's "enthusiasm" and now say the O's wouldn't be interested.

3. Respond back saying the reason is that we don't need another OF, that McPhail wouldn't want to give up picks and there is no need for Matsui.

4. When someone points out that we wouldn't be giving up picks, Matsui wouldn't be playing in the OF and that McPhail himself has come out and said he's looking to add bats...you ignore this, say that we now don't need another 1B/DH type and that despite what McPhail has publicly stated we will stay with the youngsters.

5. Then someone points out that you indeed advocated the potential signing of not one but two other 1B/DH types...and you say it's not that you wouldn't mind signing them or Matsui...you just don't think it will happen.

I mean...what a great tactic. Make a point sarcastically and emphatically (Matsui wanting to sign here..."fat chance"), offer faulty and empirically flawed counter arguments, then re-qualify and soften your position until you've morphed it into a complete off-shoot.

Well done.

Well, in my world I don't take things too terribly seriously.

1. It wasn't really sarcastic, it was an analogy. Yes, he'd probably come here if we paid him but do you really think he would if he got a similar offer from a better team? In other words are we really going to get into a bidding war for someone who'll be a stopgap for a year? Do we need him that bad?

2. It wasn't sarcastic, but believe what you will.

3. We don't need another OF. Pie/Reimold/Jones/Markakis. I don't really see the need for another OF. Maybe you do, and thats fine.

4. As it stands right now, we don't need another 1B type, especially if we hold onto Scott and especially if we look to give Reimold some time there. The future plans look to also have Snyder come up and be a first baseman as well. Again, it's not a pressing need.

5. I didn't advocate anything, I said "I'd be cool with it" meaning I wouldn't march around stomping my feet and whining about how we didn't need them. I also wouldn't get too terribly excited about a 1 year deal for Blalock/Branyan/Matsui because it'd be exactly that...a 1 year deal that has no real bearing on the big picture for this franchise.

It's exactly that...I wouldn't mind it, any of those signings wouldn't be a WTF move, but I don't think any of them will really happen.

I'm not sure how you fail to understand any of these points, I really don't. We're set in the outfield, we've got a 1B in the minor leagues that can be up by the ASB and who projects to be a part of our future and I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to signing any of the three players discussed above and don't think we'll get any of them.

I really, really don't see what's so hard to grasp about that, but apparently you've got some huge issue with it.

Well, in my world I don't take things too terribly seriously.

1. It wasn't really sarcastic, it was an analogy. Yes, he'd probably come here if we paid him but do you really think he would if he got a similar offer from a better team? In other words are we really going to get into a bidding war for someone who'll be a stopgap for a year? Do we need him that bad?

2. It wasn't sarcastic, but believe what you will.

3. We don't need another OF. Pie/Reimold/Jones/Markakis. I don't really see the need for another OF. Maybe you do, and thats fine.

4. As it stands right now, we don't need another 1B type, especially if we hold onto Scott and especially if we look to give Reimold some time there. The future plans look to also have Snyder come up and be a first baseman as well. Again, it's not a pressing need.

5. I didn't advocate anything, I said "I'd be cool with it" meaning I wouldn't march around stomping my feet and whining about how we didn't need them. I also wouldn't get too terribly excited about a 1 year deal for Blalock/Branyan/Matsui because it'd be exactly that...a 1 year deal that has no real bearing on the big picture for this franchise.

It's exactly that...I wouldn't mind it, any of those signings wouldn't be a WTF move, but I don't think any of them will really happen.

I'm not sure how you fail to understand any of these points, I really don't. We're set in the outfield, we've got a 1B in the minor leagues that can be up by the ASB and who projects to be a part of our future and I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to signing any of the three players discussed above and don't think we'll get any of them.

I really, really don't see what's so hard to grasp about that, but apparently you've got some huge issue with it.

Nobody is saying we need him THAT bad. I have previously said I would rather just play the youngsters....but it seems CLEAR to me, and frankly it should to anyone who follows this team that McPhail disagrees with that. He's come out and said multiple times he's interested in a bat.

We both AGREE that we'd rather not sign any stopgap. But that point is moot and irrelevant to this conversation.

Given McPhail's comments, I looked at the FA market and think Matsui is his target. I cited several reasons why--reasons I think that hold up well--and said I would be happy with this signing. Not that it NEEDS to happen...but that I think it would be a prudent move given what he has publicly stated he wants to try and do.

I'm not really sure why THIS is so hard for you to grasp.

You've made it clear you don't want to sign these guys or are at least apathetic to it. But you've also stated you don't think Matsui would be interested nor McPhail--these are two different ideas...ideas which you have been vacillating between this entire conversation: what you want to happen vs what you think will happen.

Perhaps you are right, and McPhail would have no interest in a Branyan/Delgado/Matsui etc...but you have NO evidence to support this and--in fact--are actually going contrary to what the GM himself has actually said.

So...if you want to go on record and say that McPhail is simply going thru GM speak and plans on entering 2010 as he entered 2009--focusing on providing more PT to the youngsters and calling up others (Bell/Snyder/Arrieta) relatively quickly...fine. But at least admist you have no actual evidence to support this.

Nobody is saying we need him THAT bad. I have previously said I would rather just play the youngsters....but it seems CLEAR to me, and frankly it should to anyone who follows this team that McPhail disagrees with that. He's come out and said multiple times he's interested in a bat.

We both AGREE that we'd rather not sign any stopgap. But that point is moot and irrelevant to this conversation.

Given McPhail's comments, I looked at the FA market and think Matsui is his target. I cited several reasons why--reasons I think that hold up well--and said I would be happy with this signing. Not that it NEEDS to happen...but that I think it would be a prudent move given what he has publicly stated he wants to try and do.

I'm not really sure why THIS is so hard for you to grasp.

You've made it clear you don't want to sign these guys or are at least apathetic to it. But you've also stated you don't think Matsui would be interested nor McPhail--these are two different ideas...ideas which you have been vacillating between this entire conversation: what you want to happen vs what you think will happen.

Perhaps you are right, and McPhail would have no interest in a Branyan/Delgado/Matsui etc...but you have NO evidence to support this and--in fact--are actually going contrary to what the GM himself has actually said.

So...if you want to go on record and say that McPhail is simply going thru GM speak and plans on entering 2010 as he entered 2009--focusing on providing more PT to the youngsters and calling up others (Bell/Snyder/Arrieta) relatively quickly...fine. But at least admist you have no actual evidence to support this.

Okay man, you win. I'm too tired to keep debating and going round and round.

If a whole bunch of other things fell into (or out of) place, I'd welcome Matsui here as a DH. However, I think that's an "ankle bone" signing, and the team hasn't really decided who the "hip bone" is yet.

And I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the Yankee$ cut Matsui loose, either.

What's your problem, Kazanski? I was making a joke, it wasn't sarcastic and it wasn't a slam against you.

Of course it was. It's your standard MO. Sarcastic comments that you can mask as innocent poking but is really meant for snickers from the audience.

Of course it was. It's your standard MO. Sarcastic comments that you can mask as innocent poking but is really meant for snickers from the audience.

Ohhhh, heaven forbid anyone gets a laugh around here. I could have replied that your standard MO is to pick a fight with SG and act like the victim but I didn't want to go that route.

Ohhhh, heaven forbid anyone gets a laugh around here. I could have replied that your standard MO is to pick a fight with SG and act like the victim but I didn't want to go that route.

Ah, this coming from the OH martyr who likes to act like he takes things so easy and just wants to laugh then throws a public temper tantrum and "quits" an internet message board for months...

I feel so analyzed.

Archived