I'm telling you...Matsui.

ejf1025

I would be ok with this move...depending on what else you do.

I wouldn't want Matsui over Pie everyday, which is essentially what would happen.

And I am not sure he gives you that much more than Scott.

So, if we trade Scott and want to use Matsui or Reimold at first, that would be ok but I would prefer to get Delgado.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be ok with this move...depending on what else you do.

I wouldn't want Matsui over Pie everyday, which is essentially what would happen.

And I am not sure he gives you that much more than Scott.

So, if we trade Scott and want to use Matsui or Reimold at first, that would be ok but I would prefer to get Delgado.

I am operating under the premise he goes nowhere near everyday OF. I think that's a safe bet he will DH or play 1B.

I don't see this effecting Pie's ABs at all. The redundancy would be Scott...but I think he's going to get dealt.

Per McPhail's own words they will be interested in buying bats...not guaranteed but interested. You will be hard pressed to sign any bat worthwhile if you are unwilling to give up compensatory picks. Will it be common practice, no. But it is far too premature to simply say McPhail doesn't seem like the type.

Furthermore, I doubt there is any interest in him in the OF for anything more than spot duties. As I wrote, he clearly will be DH/1B...not really sure why you harp on a point that everyone including Matsui himself would prob concede.

Matsui replaces Scott's production, allows you to trade Scott for a young SS, etc. considering Scott (along with Guthrie) is really our ONLY trade chip of any value

As I've said before, I would prefer not to sign anyone...but I don't think that will happen. McPhail clearly is intent on improving the offense--and the plan is not to have Snyder/Bell take the reins this early.

McPhail has clearly said he plans on winning games this year...how many is debatable...but that's what he has publicly said. Perhaps YOU don't think he fits and the Snyder/Bell/Scott are viable options but I suspect AM disagrees with you.

Matsui fills the need for another power bat at 1B or DH, he would not be getting a big contract--so your point about allocating money is pretty moot...he also hits LH well.

To say a relatively cheap, 850+ OPS w. 25 HR pop, 1B/DH/sub-OF wouldn't be useful to this team is simply wrong.

Would he be part of the long term future? No...but he would help us win games and allow us to nurse the younger hitters. A good manager should be able to find plenty of ABs for Reimold, Pie and Matsui on this team in 2010...and ABs for that group plus Snyder and Bell in 2011 as well.

And finally...your original "thoughts" had something to do with Filet Mignon and Big Macs...while I guess clever...there was nothing in there about any of the stuff you just said. In fact, I think you were basically saying it was Matsui who wouldnt want to sign with us...not the other way around. But why not play both sides of the coin right?

Well, I don't think Matsui would be interested and I don't think the Orioles are interested either. So way to catch me on playing both sides of the coin, I'm totally busted. The gig is up.

You're right, there's room for a 1B/DH/OF type, but only if we're going to hold Bell and Snyder down for a full season. Despite what MacPhail says, I believe next year will be more of the same of 2009...getting youngsters feet wet. I don't see how it can be anything different and I don't see how Matsui would help drive this team to the next level. If he's not going to be part of the long term solution, I don't see MacPhail bringing him in.

We'll have plenty of room for 1B/DH help without Matsui. I think we could sign him in an effort to flip him at the deadline for a prospect, but thats about it. It also seems like a foregone conclusion around here that Luke Scott won't be around next year, I haven't seen where thats in any of MacPhails plans.

Like I said, I admire your enthusiasm for the subject but I think this is the part where we have to agree to disagree.

Well, I don't think Matsui would be interested and I don't think the Orioles are interested either. So way to catch me on playing both sides of the coin, I'm totally busted. The gig is up.

You're right, there's room for a 1B/DH/OF type, but only if we're going to hold Bell and Snyder down for a full season. Despite what MacPhail says, I believe next year will be more of the same of 2009...getting youngsters feet wet. I don't see how it can be anything different and I don't see how Matsui would help drive this team to the next level. If he's not going to be part of the long term solution, I don't see MacPhail bringing him in.

We'll have plenty of room for 1B/DH help without Matsui. I think we could sign him in an effort to flip him at the deadline for a prospect, but thats about it. It also seems like a foregone conclusion around here that Luke Scott won't be around next year, I haven't seen where thats in any of MacPhails plans.

Like I said, I admire your enthusiasm for the subject but I think this is the part where we have to agree to disagree.

LOL. This coming from the guy who not a few posts ago said he wanted Branyan or Blalock.

I am operating under the premise he goes nowhere near everyday OF. I think that's a safe bet he will DH or play 1B.

I don't see this effecting Pie's ABs at all. The redundancy would be Scott...but I think he's going to get dealt.

But then you are saying he effects Reimold unless you are sticking one of them at first.

But then you are saying he effects Reimold unless you are sticking one of them at first.

Sign Matsui...flip Scott (Escobar? Hardy?)...

Matsui takes 1B...Reimold to DH...Pie to LF.

The same scenario plays out with Delgado...will prob have to do with the deal each demands.

Is Delgado a Type A/B? I also like Matsui's lefty splits...fits a big need.

Ha, that's not two sides of the same coin. That's a coin with "heads" on both sides, so it comes up the same no matter which way it lands.

And it's a winner either way.

I wonder what kind of deal Matsui-san could get if he returned to play in Japan.

You ask Reimold if he wants to learn 1B. If he does, you put Pie in LF and make Matsui your every day DH. Trade Scott (although his value is probably pretty low).

Agreed.

Reimold should be learning first no matter who we sign...

I also don't think Scott's value is that low at all. He's very cheap and is a decent power bat. I think many teams would be interested in him.

Sign Matsui...flip Scott (Escobar? Hardy?)...

Matsui takes 1B...Reimold to DH...Pie to LF.The same scenario plays out with Delgado...will prob have to do with the deal each demands.

Is Delgado a Type A/B? I also like Matsui's lefty splits...fits a big need.

These are all fine ideas...provided that the Orioles believe Matsui could handle first.

These are all fine ideas...provided that the Orioles believe Matsui could handle first.

You could also do Matsui DH and Reimold 1B...someone mentioned he played third in Japan...and he said he was willing to try 1B. I can't imagine he'd be any worse than Scott.

LOL. This coming from the guy who not a few posts ago said he wanted Branyan or Blalock.

Whooooooaaaaaa, I'm SOOOOO busted again. :rolleyestf:

I believe I said I'd be cool with Branyan or Blalock, but I don't see us getting them either. IIRC, I also said I'd be cool with Matsui but I don't see it happening. I wouldn't bet on us landing any of the three.

Big difference there.

Whooooooaaaaaa, I'm SOOOOO busted again. :rolleyestf:

I believe I said I'd be cool with Branyan or Blalock, but I don't see us getting them either. IIRC, I also said I'd be cool with Matsui but I don't see it happening. I wouldn't bet on us landing any of the three.

Big difference there.

Alright...so you don't think we'll sign anyone. Would have been nice if you just said that up front, but what's an OH thread without the pointless musing sarcasm of Moose Milligan.

Archived