• Matt Angle
    • Mychal Givens
    • Randy Henry
    • LJ Hoes
    • Ashur Tolliver

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every year there seems to be one guy that I just don't understand the lack of appreciation for what he can do over what it's percieved he can't do. Last year it was Brad Bergesen. This year it's Steve Johnson. Just think we'll appreciate him more in the future than we thought we would.

Every year there seems to be one guy that I just don't understand the lack of appreciation for what he can do over what it's percieved he can't do. Last year it was Brad Bergesen. This year it's Steve Johnson. Just think we'll appreciate him more in the future than we thought we would.

Steve Johnson is a lot like Brad Bergesen, so don't be surprised if he comes in around #20 on this post.

The thing to remember about Bergesen though is he continued to develop from the end of 2008, so it would be interesting to see where he would be ranked this year if he was eligible.

If he had good ground ball rates, I'd agree. OTOH, his downside is somewhat mitigated by his K rate.

If he could just get the ball down I think he could be a pretty good pitcher. I guess it's possible that he continues to improve and becomes more of a GB pitcher. I just think that any Bergesen comp seems very unlikely. Hernandez is much more likely.

If he had good ground ball rates, I'd agree. OTOH, his downside is somewhat mitigated by his K rate.

If he could just get the ball down I think he could be a pretty good pitcher. I guess it's possible that he continues to improve and becomes more of a GB pitcher. I just think that any Bergesen comp seems very unlikely. Hernandez is much more likely.

Dave has been trying to teach him his sinker for years, but it hasn't taken. With that pitch he could have a much better shot.

Not to take away from Spoone, who I'm rooting for huge, but I've heard Johnson compared to Josh Towers.

Does anyone know what Towers' K rates were in the minors? I have doubts that he ever K'd quite as many people as Johnson.

Towers has pitched to a career 6.5 K/9 in the minors. Johnson is 8.8K/9 in his career.

Steve Johnson is a lot like Brad Bergesen, so don't be surprised if he comes in around #20 on this post.

Steve Johnson is an extreme fly ball pitcher, Bergesen is a strong ground ball pitcher. Johnson strikes out a lot more guys than Bergesen. I really don't see the similarity.

This is a toss up. You could ask 3 different publications and they may say 3 different names, Id rather have Henry. Some pubs would say Givens, some would say Hoes. Its interesting that Ohlman hasn't gotten much mention yet, he plays a premium position, has HUGE offensive upside, and is progressing with his catching and recieving skills behind the plate. IMO he deserves to be atleast this high.

Archived