Reds looking to dump salary to add Scutaro

Roll Tide

There's a lot of matches here for us...

Votto, obviously

Harang

Rolen and his bad contract would be unblocked

We could take back Arroyo

Phillips to 3B is intriguing

Def need to be kicking the tires here...

How is it a bad contract? He's been worth about 60 million over the last 4 years including 17 last year, and has 1 year and 15 million left on his deal.

Plus the Reds traded for him last year and he isn't mentioned in the article, so I doubt he's a guy they really want to deal.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is it a bad contract? He's been worth about 60 million over the last 4 years including 17 last year, and has 1 year and 15 million left on his deal.

Plus the Reds traded for him last year and he isn't mentioned in the article, so I doubt he's a guy they really want to deal.

Do you honestly think Rolen would get even 8 million if he were a FA this year?

Well...potentially very bad contract...his OPS dropped 80 points from Tor to Cincy...

I don't understand why we would deal for just these two, though. Neither one of them are guaranteed to be here past next year if we dealt for them.

We may be able to trade one or both of them during the season, but I don't think I'd take both of these guys with their high salaries AND lose a prospect or two in the process.

I hope we do better this offseason than to acquire the production of Harang/Rolen at their current salaries.

Well...potentially very bad contract...his OPS dropped 80 points from Tor to Cincy...

Considering there is only one year left, and his worth in recent years, I think it would be hard for it to be a very bad contract. Besides, these reports haven't even mentioned Rolen from what I've seen and it would be very odd for them to have traded for him last summer and then turn around and deal him out of desperation now.

If they want to dump 10-15 million of payroll, I don't think they're going to have a hard enough time doing that to reach the point where they're going to have to involve Votto. Maybe they'll want to deal him because of Alonso, but I think you guys are overvaluing the discount we'd receive for taking on contracts that aren't so bad, some of which many of us would take without them eating any or much money and without them adding a sweetener.

Considering there is only one year left, and his worth in recent years, I think it would be hard for it to be a very bad contract. Besides, these reports haven't even mentioned Rolen from what I've seen and it would be very odd for them to have traded for him last summer and then turn around and deal him out of desperation now.

If they want to dump 10-15 million of payroll, I don't think they're going to have a hard enough time doing that to reach the point where they're going to have to involve Votto. Maybe they'll want to deal him because of Alonso, but I think you guys are overvaluing the discount we'd receive for taking on contracts that aren't so bad, some of which many of us would take without them eating any or much money and without them adding a sweetener.

Well this is of course the big issue...How important is it for them to save 20+ million and how many teams are willing to take that on and give up good prospects?

If getting quality prospects is moe important than saving 10 million, then none of these trades are remotely realistic.

BTW, I would be willing to give up a pretty good size package for Votto my himself...much more willing to do that for him than AGon or Fielder.

He also had a concussion within the first week of his time with Cincy due to getting hit on the head by a pitch. I was at that game and it was VERY scary. He was just starting to feel like himself again near the end of the season (where his stats were much better) and I think he'll be all right next year as long as he gets spelled once in a while in the field.

No chance in hell.

Not in this market and not with his injury history.

And yes, I know he had a solid year last year.

He's been worth more than that every year FanGraphs has tracked this except for 2005, some years including last year he's been worth way more.

Now maybe he wouldn't get a multiple year deal, but for one year, yeah, someone would give him that, I would if I was the O's GM or the Twins GM or another team needing a 3B. He'd be the best available at that position.

And think about this, the Reds dealt away young talent to take on his contract when they weren't even contending, so obviously they had no issue with paying him well more than 8 million. And since he hasn't been mentioned as a guy they want to deal, I'm guessing they'd like him at 8 million this year.

How much are you willing to pay any of Glaus, Delgado, or Johnson?

He's been worth more than that every year FanGraphs has tracked this except for 2005, some years including last year he's been worth way more.

Now maybe he wouldn't get a multiple year deal, but for one year, yeah, someone would give him that, I would if I was the O's GM or the Twins GM or another team needing a 3B. He'd be the best available at that position.

And think about this, the Reds dealt away young talent to take on his contract when they weren't even contending, so obviously they had no issue with paying him well more than 8 million. And since he hasn't been mentioned as a guy they want to deal, I'm guessing they'd like him at 8 million this year.

How much are you willing to pay any of Glaus, Delgado, or Johnson?

Up to 5-6 million plus incentives...same thing I would give Rolen.

If we had to go that high, it would be overpaying for them but the Orioles have the payroll room and need to offer a little more to get a player here in all likelihood.

Well this is of course the big issue...How important is it for them to save 20+ million and how many teams are willing to take that on and give up good prospects?

If getting quality prospects is moe important than saving 10 million, then none of these trades are remotely realistic.

BTW, I would be willing to give up a pretty good size package for Votto my himself...much more willing to do that for him than AGon or Fielder.

My point is they can save 10 million without dealing Votto. If you were the O's GM, you'd take Harang, and there would be their savings. It won't be that difficult to deal one of Harang, Arroyo, or Rolen, especially if they eat some of the deal(s). And I think teams would actually be eager to take Phillips.

And what I put in bold is another reason why these deals aren't realistic imo. The guys value is too high to get him without an impressive offer in terms of players.

Up to 5-6 million plus incentives...same thing I would give Rolen.

If we had to go that high, it would be overpaying for them but the Orioles have the payroll room and need to offer a little more to get a player here in all likelihood.

I can't see the justification for valuing Glaus and Rolen the same. Or Rolen and the other two who have worse injury issues/track records and haven't been as valuable in recent years.

Archived