Reds looking to dump salary to add Scutaro

Roll Tide

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more I think about this...the more something has to get done...

Cordero is owed 24M over the next two, Bronson at 11M for one, Rolen at 11M for one...

Taking back Rolen and Cordero would be doable for us and major plus for the Reds....

Votto could be had on the cheap (prospect-wise, not monetarily) and that would make tons of sense for us.

The Reds are keeping Cordero, they said they don't want to deal him. Most of these guys we are talking about taking the salary back on are FA after this year, so the worst case for them is they ride it out and are rid of the contracts next season. It would take a heck of a prospect to make it happen.

The Reds are keeping Cordero, they said they don't want to deal him. Most of these guys we are talking about taking the salary back on are FA after this year, so the worst case for them is they ride it out and are rid of the contracts next season. It would take a heck of a prospect to make it happen.

Didn't see the Cordero part...I'm shocked they'd want to keep him if they are on shedding salary mode.

Arrieta is a pretty darn good prospect tho....

Well, let's put our head's together...

What other team has the roster/budget space to take back Rolen (who would likely need a "starter" or "contender" guarantee to drop the NTC) and/or Cordero...and how many of those teams would throw in a Tillman-esque prospect to boot...

Maybe the White Sox? Seattle? Colorado? San Diego if they move AGon?

Teams with money, holes at 1B and 3B and prospects to trade are few and far between...

We're a good dance partner for them...and that's without Tillman getting involved.

Rolen does have to get involved.

Mets, Giants, Mariners, maybe Dodgers, maybe Braves with creativity, maybe Toronto, Cleveland, and Nationals.

What if the prospect is Britton? Big upside.

If you are dealing a guy like Votto with proven MLB ability . . . I figure you want some upside that has held their own at the MLB level. Britton would be a third or fourth party in a deal like this. There are a lot of ranging opinions on Britton throughout the industry. We seem to be pretty hold on him, but there are others that put him in the 125-175 prospect range.

As a neutral party to both the Red and Orioles, I think some of these trades are greatly underestimating Votto's value. He's probably the best young hitter in baseball right now and he's under team control very cheaply. If I'm the Reds GM I'm starting the bidding for Harang and Votto at 2 of Tillman, Matusz, Erbe and then an additional player like Nolan Reimold. Votto is an established star and after two years is already very close to ,if not already, being an elite hitter. The guy had the 4th highest OPS in all of baseball last year.

As a neutral party to both the Red and Orioles, I think some of these trades are greatly underestimating Votto's value. He's probably the best young hitter in baseball right now and he's under team control very cheaply. If I'm the Reds GM I'm starting the bidding for Harang and Votto at 2 of Tillman, Matusz, Erbe and then an additional player like Nolan Reimold. Votto is an established star and after two years is already very close to ,if not already, being an elite hitter. The guy had the 4th highest OPS in all of baseball last year.

I could see Tillman, Erbe, and Reimold. I can't see Tillman and Matusz together. That would be too much.

Votto might be one of the best young hitters in baseball, but nobody is giving up that much talent for the additional right to absorb the remaining two years of Harang's contract. Not in this market. Harang has been a good pitcher over his career but check out his numbers the past two seasons.

Rolen does have to get involved.

Mets, Giants, Mariners, maybe Dodgers, maybe Braves with creativity, maybe Toronto, Cleveland, and Nationals.

Mets, Nats, Braves are set at 3B.

Toronto already moved Rolen once, altho I guess that doesnt mean he has to be traded.

Not sure Cleveland would want to add the payroll and give up the prospect...course it it just a year.

Giants are a good call.

Dodgers would have to move Loney or Blake, but that's not out of the realm...

If you are dealing a guy like Votto with proven MLB ability . . . I figure you want some upside that has held their own at the MLB level. Britton would be a third or fourth party in a deal like this. There are a lot of ranging opinions on Britton throughout the industry. We seem to be pretty hold on him, but there are others that put him in the 125-175 prospect range.

I don't part with anymore then 1 of: Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, or Bergesen.

Even for Votto.

So it would be my goal to use Guthrie and/or Scott with one of them as the centerpiece of the trade. They line up better as a trading partner if they don't want all young players in the swap. This may mean another team fits them better.

Mets, Nats, Braves are set at 3B.

Toronto already moved Rolen once, altho I guess that doesnt mean he has to be traded.

Not sure Cleveland would want to add the payroll and give up the prospect...course it it just a year.

Giants are a good call.

Dodgers would have to move Loney or Blake, but that's not out of the realm...

Eeek. I meant Rolen does NOT have to get involved.

Why are people so in a hurry to give Tillman?

He should be only used for a TOP TIER player...Joey Votto is good, but not that good.

4th best OPS in baeball is "good, but not that good."? The kid is a complete and total stud who is under control for 4 more years. I can't think of a young hitter under team control for this duration who is any more valuable than Votto to be quite honest.

Archived