Orioles draft thread

Sports Guy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think King's injury problems scared a lot of teams off.

Anyone notice that we've now taken 3 HSers and a CC players? Not a single 3-year college player in 4 picks.

Rany over at BP has had a year-long series of articles on the draft, and the latest one concluded that we may be in the first era ever where high schoolers are being undervalued, and may provide better return on your investment than a comparable collegian.

Maybe the O's are doing their homework and reacting to the teams that are focused in on college talent and completely ignoring high schoolers.

Rany over at BP has had a year-long series of articles on the draft, and the latest one concluded that we may be in the first era ever where high schoolers are being undervalued, and may provide better return on your investment than a comparable collegian.

Maybe the O's are doing their homework and reacting to the teams that are focused in on college talent and completely ignoring high schoolers.

That's a very nice thought. It gives the O's an awful lot of credit, though.

I have no issue with a HS pick as long as it's a solid pick logically and not a reach on the dreaded P-word.

I like the Rowell pick a lot. I like the Adams pick less, but I am OK with it. I do not like the Britton pick, as they are obviously drafting on the potential that he's going consistently to reach the mid-90's on his fastball and will develop additional pitches.

Well, that's not exactly going out on a limb. Most of these guys will never make the majors. I'm sure less than 50% of 3rd rounders make it. Seasoning in college? Isn't that what the minors are for too?

Fair enough. My point is that a HS pitcher with a couple good pitches isn't as much of a reach as a guy who is being drafted, seemingly, on the fact that his fastball reached 94 MPH earlier this season. It tailed off since then, and he doesn't seem to have much else to rely on. Even if he grows into a mid-90's fastball, I don't think the minors are the place for a guy to learn his secondary and tertiary pitches. I'd rather see the kid go to college and work on his stuff there and use the minors to refine it.

If he had a decent second or even third pitch already, I'd say send him to the minors and let him work on perfecting it for 3-4 years. But he doesn't have that.

Archived