Adam Jones wins Gold Glove

jerios55

You may not be little, but you're clearly small.
So, you think Jones is a better candidate for the GG than the other AL OF I mentioned ? That is the topic of discussion.

For my money it should be Gutierez but he doesn't hit well enough to get it.:laughlol:

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad this is such a great thread topic!

As far as the actual topic, Adam doesn't deserve it, but does any GGer deserve it? Congrats Adam! Hopefully he takes this as an opportunity to step his game up to the next level.

And I didn't say the actual word "congratulations"... my bad. Congats to Adam!

If this is really true... Adam has indeed won the GG... that would be SOOOOO deserved! Not because of his defense this particular year... but a recognition of the amzing talent we have in AJ. Someone mentioned it earlier, and I can't overstate this enough!

HE DOES ALL THIS WHILE BLOWING BUBBLES!!!!!! I've seen plenty of guys who really didn't fit the OF, and I've also seen plenty of guys who were made for the OF... those guys you hated because they made it look so easy.

Then there's guys who blow bubbles while robbing a HR. UZR50 or whatthehellever.... Adam is deserving. ;)

Oh yeah, Adam Jones and his possible gold glove. :)I wonder how long it'll take for this to be confirmed or denied.

Going strictly from memory here, I believe Gold Glove winners and managers of the year are the first awards announced, usually in the week following the conclusion of the World Series.

In other words, you'll probably know for sure by this time next week.

Going strictly from memory here, I believe Gold Glove winners and managers of the year are the first awards announced, usually in the week following the conclusion of the World Series.

Great, thanks for the info.

Would be pretty crazy for him to win one now, despite how poorly we all saw him play.

It would be like the reverse Mike Bordick gold glove.

Jones hasn't been playing long enough to have a reputation. He had a good, but not great year, last season and a poor one this year. Yes the GG people seem to take in offense numbers with the award but his offense numbers weren't the best either. If we are looking for CF candidates who combine good defense with offense, then the best candidates are Mike Cameron, Matt Kemp and Tori Hunter. Since Hunter has won it for the last 7 years, I'd say he's a logical choice. So is Ichiro again. So that would leave Cameron a former winner, Kemp, and perhaps Gutierez, the real GG CF.

Jones had a hell of a defensive reputation at the end of last season, when everyone thought he'd be winning GGs throughout his career. If he's won (which we don't know) it would only mean that the hype is just now reaching the managers, who probably don't stay up all night reading scouting reports or Fangraphs articles on the players of non-contending teams.

Jones had a hell of a defensive reputation at the end of last season, when everyone thought he'd be winning GGs throughout his career. If he's won (which we don't know) it would only mean that the hype is just now reaching the managers, who probably don't stay up all night reading scouting reports or Fangraphs articles on the players of non-contending teams.
Who Is everyone?

Honestly, I think the majority of us underrate his glove...think of how many times he robbed home runs/made diving grabs this year...he really has the ability to make some great plays in the field that most others couldn't...all while blowing a bubble...

I agree that Adam has the ability, and may one day become a very good centerfielder, but he's not there yet. His best thing is his speed, once he's underway, in catching up to balls. On the other hand, he often doesn't get a good jump, and when his body needs to be extended to an unusual position to make a catch -- diving for a shoestring or going back and trying to catch over his shoulder on the run -- he isn't good, often drops or misjudges when to jump. He has a strong arm, but often makes inaccurate throws, even allowing an extra base at times, so he is subpar for a major league centerfielder in throwing. Overall, right now he's an average MLB centerfielder at best.

However, I have to agree that he deserves the Golden Lip award for bubble blowing in action.

And I didn't say the actual word "congratulations"... my bad. Congats to Adam!

If this is really true... Adam has indeed won the GG... that would be SOOOOO deserved! Not because of his defense this particular year... but a recognition of the amzing talent we have in AJ. Someone mentioned it earlier, and I can't overstate this enough!

HE DOES ALL THIS WHILE BLOWING BUBBLES!!!!!! I've seen plenty of guys who really didn't fit the OF, and I've also seen plenty of guys who were made for the OF... those guys you hated because they made it look so easy.

Then there's guys who blow bubbles while robbing a HR. UZR50 or whatthehellever.... Adam is deserving. ;)

"It was announced today that Adam Jones was the Gold Glove award winner among AL centerfielders for 2009. In related news, it was announced that last week Rawlings sold its sponsorship of the Gold Glove awards to Bazooka gum."

Let me ask everybody a question.

And just how many things have the Yankees or Red Sox EVER deserved? Maybe Boston deserved the long drought between World Series titles.

It is very possible that a BALTIMORE ORIOLE is going to win a Gold Glove and your going to COMPLAIN that he didn't deserve it?

Where is your sense of pride for this team and these players? How many Orioles DESERVED to win one and didn't? I can remember Mike Bordick deserving on early in the decade and got snubbed. Maybe it was 2002 or so.

I'm glad there are so many moral police on here.

If true, congratulation to you Adam Jones. You big all-star you.

This actually would be a bad thing.

YEs, i would be happy for Adam that he won the GG but he doesn't deserve it and if he does win it, it may make him think that playing as shallow as he does is correct and that he won't want to change things.

This post I can agree with. I totally dig the fear of him playing too shallow and got a good laugh out of it.

The first of the Writers' awards is announced Nov. 16.

Let me ask everybody a question.

And just how many things have the Yankees or Red Sox EVER deserved? Maybe Boston deserved the long drought between World Series titles.

It is very possible that a BALTIMORE ORIOLE is going to win a Gold Glove and your going to COMPLAIN that he didn't deserve it?

Where is your sense of pride for this team and these players? How many Orioles DESERVED to win one and didn't? I can remember Mike Bordick deserving on early in the decade and got snubbed. Maybe it was 2002 or so.

I'm glad there are so many moral police on here.

If true, congratulation to you Adam Jones. You big all-star you.

And many of the so-called "optimistic" people are the ones complaining. Amazing.

There might be other, more nefarious, reasons why people are always down on Adam Jones here, but I won't get into it.

MSK

Before everyone starts bashing Jones on his defense, please remember he was playing through significant pain most of the year. To those who actually watched the games, it was not uncommon to see Jones limping after every fly ball or running out a ground ball, and getting up gimpy after sliding into a base or for a fly ball. To say that injuries did not have an effect would be blind.

Archived