The Top 50 Prospects...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I shudder to think how much money the 17 year old Harper is going to get.

Less than Strasburg I'd imagine. Combine that with the slot rules changing and his leverage drops a bit too. I would think around 10 mill should be more than enough to get him signed.

Cool update...

I'll be conducting an interview with Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus for Draft America, very soon... if anyone would be interested in submitting draft-related questions for him, send them to me via PM, and I'll try to add them.

I'll talk with Tony about possibly conducting a saber/stat-related Q&A/Interview with KG as well for the OH... should be fun if he's up for it.

...are up at DraftAmerica.com, with the Top 15 profiles ready to read.

It is our goal to have all 50 profiles up before the spring, and thereafter have a Top 100 or even Top 200 set by Draft Day.

Had to admit I was surprised to see Hahn in there. I've only personally seen him pitch a third of an inning. I knew he threw hard, but he hasn't even been able to find a really successful role at the ACC level....and it's not like VT was so loaded for pitching that a real talent couldn't earn a spot. Our pitching was easily in the bottom third of the league.

...are up at DraftAmerica.com, with the Top 15 profiles ready to read.

It is our goal to have all 50 profiles up before the spring, and thereafter have a Top 100 or even Top 200 set by Draft Day.

I would be ecstatic if Harper fell to us. He could split time at catcher with Wieters and play another position. This would keep them both rested hopefully healthy and we would not lose anything offensively when Wieters is not catching. I would be happy with any of the top three guys though, but then again I know very little about any of this stuff. The only thing that would upset me is if the Orioles did not pick the best player available like they did last year.

I would be ecstatic if Harper fell to us. He could split time at catcher with Wieters and play another position. This would keep them both rested hopefully healthy and we would not lose anything offensively when Wieters is not catching. I would be happy with any of the top three guys though, but then again I know very little about any of this stuff. The only thing that would upset me is if the Orioles did not pick the best player available like they did last year.

Harper probably isn't in the majors until 2013, at the earliest, and Wieters will be halfway through his pre-free agency Oriole tenure by then.

Talk about projecting far ahead.

I don't think there is any chance the Nationals DON'T pick Harper. I would love to see Jameson Taillon slip past the Pirates. Will it happen??? I don't know. Hopefully the Pirates fall in love with Ranaudo. If Taillon goes #2, I think SS Christian Colon makes a lot of sense at #3 based on what I have read.

Some VERY tall pitchers among the top 15 - can field a basketball team with that group.

Hopefully, a couple more of these talents reach "elite" status for us to get a great prospect. Would be nice if the SS picks can be worthy of our top pick. Otherwise, let's keep stocking up on the pitchers.

Archived