Breaking News: Per Balt. Sun, O's, Texas Agree to Deal to swap Millwood, cash for Ray

ScottieBaseball

I hate to burn down the Millwood love fest, but he was know in Texas for coming into training camp overweight and not following his conditioning program. The main reason why he did so last year at Ryan's urgings was that he wanted his option picked up, and to do that he had to reach a certain number of innings.

He is a good guy that does not like to run. He has even told the media that before. He will give everything he has and will pitch hurt. He will work with the young guys and will not cause trouble in the clubhouse.

He may or may not be a horse for the O's. He has had a history of hamstring problems. If they flair up early in ST, historically they follow him all year.

Maybe he has found the light on the idea of off season conditioning but I would be more likely to expect 175 IP instead of 200 due to his huge jump in pitches last year.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester

I am not sure how anyone can really not like this move....hmmm..he should a little better than Adam Eaton:laughlol:

Now go get a Bedard we can see in May and, what the heck, Harden as well. If 1 of those 2 get it back and Millwood is servicable I am a lot less worried about not getting a 1B or 3B done for now.

Did I hear that we are close to a deal with SD for AGon - yup...Berken and $3.27 :scratchchinhmm::rolleyestf:

I'm just really impressed that AM was able to get this deal done while giving up so little. I'll gladly pay the 9 mil left on his salary this year. Even if his ERA is a run more than last year, it's still worth the 9 mil considering it's added consistency to our rotation.

I just think if I were Texas how pissed off I'd be that our GM gave away one of Texas's best pitcher in 09' for a washed up reliever. And that is why I'm so happy to have AM as our GM going forward. The guy may be deliberate and play his hands close to the chest, but I can't complain about ANY of his deals thus far.

I'm just really impressed that AM was able to get this deal done while giving up so little. I'll gladly pay the 9 mil left on his salary this year. Even if his ERA is a run more than last year, it's still worth the 9 mil considering it's added consistency to our rotation.

I just think if I were Texas how pissed off I'd be that our GM gave away one of Texas's best pitcher in 09' for a washed up reliever. And that is why I'm so happy to have AM as our GM going forward. The guy may be deliberate and play his hands close to the chest, but I can't complain about ANY of his deals thus far.

The math is really impressive. 12 minus 3 minus 1 (Ray salary) minus 3 (what will still be owed Millwood when we trade him) equals 5 million for one hundred forty innings of sub 4 ERA if all works out well.

I'm like most people on this board and really liked the trade. The Orioles desperately needed someone who could step in a be a #1. With the depth the Orioles have, I would have traded Erbe and Hernandez for Millwood. Trading Ray instead was even better. Even if it doesn't work out for Millwood, I'm sure that the Orioles can get a prospect or two for him come the trade deadline.

• 4 weeks later...
Just wanted to bump this. I haven't seen this posted here.

This is a radio interview with Millwood, and he seems pretty...errr..."excited" to be an Oriole. Actually...he doesn't sound excited at all.

Enjoy!

Millwood Radio Interview

So help me God, if you ever bump this again so the main page reads "Breaking News, Per Balt. Sun..." again, I will pimp slap you so hard your head will spin!

(sike, well played)

*%#$!!!!!!

I was on the main page and all I saw was "Breaking News: Per..."

Got all excited, thought something was goin down.

So help me God, if you ever bump this again so the main page reads "Breaking News, Per Balt. Sun..." again, I will pimp slap you so hard your head will spin!

(sike, well played)

Me three.

That was a rough interview.

Archived