Padres asking price for Adrian Gonzalez

GoldGlove21

According to MLBTradeRumors the Padres are asking the Red Sox for Clay Buchholz and one of Casey Kelley or Ryan Westmorehand. That seems to be a reasonable price that would translate into maybe Tillman, Erbe, and Pie.

Would that cause you to increase the Orioles resolve to call and make an offer?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to MLBTradeRumors the Padres are asking the Red Sox for Clay Buchholz and one of Casey Kelley or Ryan Westmorehand. That seems to be a reasonable price that would translate into maybe Tillman, Erbe, and Pie.

Would that cause you to increase the Orioles resolve to call and make an offer?

Absolutely. That's a deal you have to make with those three.

Here's the link BTW:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2009/12/13/tough_players_leave_yankees_with_a_tough_call/?page=full

If that's the cost, I think the Orioles have to kick the tires on it. The only other possibility would be to wait for Fielder to become a FA next year. That might be a better route, but I have no idea if AM will go after him.

I have a feeling we'll be looking at C.Pena more then Fielder next year. Pena's a decent run producer, but he's no Fielder and that batting avg is tough to stomach.

Buchholz > Tillman...Probably needs to be Matusz.

The package will be enormous to get AGon...He is only here for 2 more years...So, you then would have to extend him, if you can, to some monster contract.

It is just a poor idea in every way to go get him.

If Buchholz is better than Tillman it isn't by that much. Tillman is a top 10-15 prospect right? Matusz might be the best pitching prospect in the game. If he is not then he is up there, I would have to rate Matusz higher than Feliz if only by a tick. The Orioles would not have to give up more than Tillman if they added Erbe, Pie, and maybe a guy like Snyder. I know we would have to give him a monster contract, but we would be able to offer that contract two years before he hit free agency. If he hits free agency the Red Sox could just sign the guy.

If the Orioles tried to obtain a guy like Votto, Alonzo, or Blanks the package is going to have to start with Tillman or Arrieta IMO and at this point I would rather have Arrieta. Tillman is a guy that I rate lower than Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta, but I am not scout.

I have a feeling we'll be looking at C.Pena more then Fielder next year. Pena's a decent run producer, but he's no Fielder and that batting avg is tough to stomach.

Especially when you are going to be required to pay him most of what Gonzalez will require. I would like to have Fielder, but I think the Brewers get more for Fielder than the Padres get for Gonzalez.

If Buchholz is better than Tillman it isn't by that much. Tillman is a top 10-15 prospect right? Matusz might be the best pitching prospect in the game. If he is not then he is up there, I would have to rate Matusz higher than Feliz if only by a tick. The Orioles would not have to give up more than Tillman if they added Erbe, Pie, and maybe a guy like Snyder. I know we would have to give him a monster contract, but we would be able to offer that contract two years before he hit free agency. If he hits free agency the Red Sox could just sign the guy.

If the Orioles tried to obtain a guy like Votto, Alonzo, or Blanks the package is going to have to start with Tillman or Arrieta IMO and at this point I would rather have Arrieta. Tillman is a guy that I rate lower than Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta, but I am not scout.

I hope you don't think the Padres are only asking for 2 players for AGon....That's 2 guys they are asking for from Boston are going to be the "headliners"...It is going to take a 4-5 player deal.

Buchholz has proven himself moreso in the majors, so he is ahead of Tillman...Buchholz was rated very highly as well.

Especially when you are going to be required to pay him most of what Gonzalez will require. I would like to have Fielder, but I think the Brewers get more for Fielder than the Padres get for Gonzalez.

I agree.

Also agree with you on Tillman being comparable to Buchholz.

Another point, I don't think has been made is the fact that if we trade (and lock up A-Gon) we would keep him away from the Yanks and Sox.

If the headliner going to San Diego is Adam Jones, the rest of the package is much smaller. Nobody wants to talk about that, but it is the only realistic trade scenario for Adrian Gonzalez IMO. IMO, you cannot unload your pitching depth for anybody. Adam Jones would represent 80% of the cost and then add a guy like Erbe and your almost there.

1. No, I would not

2. 7/140

1) I agree...an extension should definitely be part of the deal. We are in no position to give up prospects (especially pitching help) for a 2 year rental.

2) I also agree...that's the Tex offer that I don't think a smaller market team like us should exceed.

Archived