Padres asking price for Adrian Gonzalez

GoldGlove21

Ha, caught that didn't you? MacPhail has also said he's not adverse to trading young pitching for a LT solution.

If the Sox get Gonzalez, we may have to do just that. 95 wins might no longer be enough.

And Miguel Cabrera would get us 100 wins?

If the pitching doesn't pan out, I don't care if you cloned Miguel Cabrera three times and put him at 1st, 3rd and DH.

The Sox have signed Lackey, are about to extend Beckett (not sure I agree with that, but whatever) and drafted and developed Lester. If they win 100 games, it'll be because they have arguably the best rotation in baseball.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now is not the time to trade 5 guys for 1, unfortunately for all those people clamoring for a splash.

Once your rotation is set and you have 4-6 young pitchers who will be ML ready in another 2 years, you consider it.

That depends on who the 5 players are...You can't just make that blanket statement.

If we could get MCab without giving up Bell, the big 3, Nick, Jonesy, Wieters and both of Reimold and Pie, then the Tigers can have any 5 players in the organization for MCab...That is a deal you would have to make.

That depends on who the 5 players are...You can't just make that blanket statement.

If we could get MCab without giving up Bell, the big 3, Nick, Jonesy, Wieters and both of Reimold and Pie, then the Tigers can have any 5 players in the organization for MCab...That is a deal you would have to make.

You wouldn't give up Pie? Snyder, Pie, Erbe, Britton, and a lesser prospect like Turner would be pretty attractive no?

But you couldn't!!!!!!

You know better than this.

But you couldn't!!!!!!

You know better than this.

You might be right...but you also may not be right.

Let's say Detroit is hell bent on dealing MCab...maybe they are, maybe they aren't...But let's say they are.

What teams have the ability to trade a solid to great package, take on all of his salary, have that hole at first AND be ok with taking on the off the field stuff?

I am thinking Baltimore, SF, Seattle?, Boston, Mets, Washington and maybe the Dodgers.

Those are the only teams that have the hole and the money to afford him.

Now, with Boston seemingly focused on AGon, maybe they don't pursue MCab.

Even taking out the players I listed, I think we can beat a package from Seattle, NYM and DC. The Dodgers may not have the money...It may just come down to us and the Giants.

So, if they are dead set on getting rid of that contract, we can provide them with pieces that can help them right now(guys like Scott, Reimold or Pie, JJ, Kam and Guthrie) and guys that can help them relatively soon...Erbe, Britton, Snyder, etc....

Its not a bad package.

Now, Detroit may say, we aren't that hell bent on dealing him and if we do trade him, we need to get back one top level guy..like Matusz, Jones, Tillman or Arrieta...And i would be ok with that IF MCab's off the field issues weren't there.

So, you definitely have to call...Offer them a list of players to choose from and see what they say.

This is also why I have said to take back Robertson's 10 million dollar contract...its just another way of easing the blow of not getting back a top level guy...That's a lot of money to not have to pay for garbage...especially for a team in financial trouble.

Ha, caught that didn't you? MacPhail has also said he's not adverse to trading young pitching for a LT solution.

If the Sox get Gonzalez, we may have to do just that. 95 wins might no longer be enough.

Sorry to backtrack, but I just saw this. If/When we get competitive, it will take LESS wins. Because no doubt, some of our wins will come from Boston and NY, leaving them w/ less wins. You won't have 3 or 4 teams in a division each winning 100+ games. While it is technically possible, it is VERY improbable.

I agree with SG that if Detroit was in a position to have to make another "business decision" we should be all over it.

That's an opportunity to take advantage of someone in a bad position.

Lord knows we've been taken advantage of plenty of times...

Sorry to backtrack, but I just saw this. If/When we get competitive, it will take LESS wins. Because no doubt, some of our wins will come from Boston and NY, leaving them w/ less wins. You won't have 3 or 4 teams in a division each winning 100+ games. While it is technically possible, it is VERY improbable.

That's all true, and on top of it you don't have a budget-constrained team that can get to 100+ true talent wins. The O's are shooting for 90-ish wins, and hoping luck and career years and leverage in the pen gets them to the playoffs. It's highly unlikely that the O's are going to have a budget under $120M or $130M and go into a season projected for 100+ wins in the AL East.

That's all true, and on top of it you don't have a budget-constrained team that can get to 100+ true talent wins. The O's are shooting for 90-ish wins, and hoping luck and career years and leverage in the pen gets them to the playoffs. It's highly unlikely that the O's are going to have a budget under $120M or $130M and go into a season projected for 100+ wins in the AL East.

Agreed. When we do decide to add 1 or 2 huge pieces to make a push for a pennant, these pieces will drive up our payroll bigtime. Not to mention salary increases etc.

Archived