Vasquez for ACC POY

sportsfan8703

I do agree with this but when I think about it, it may not be as clear cut as I originally thought.

Duke has 3 guards and they look to Scheyer to be a calming influence..he is a smart player that doesn't usually make too many mistakes...Plus, he is key down the stretch because of his FT shooting in tight games. They also need his scoring.

So, while Vazquez is likely more important to his team(because he isn't surrounded by as much talent), its closer than I think some think.

I think it is close too, but most of the reasons you give for Scheyer apply to Vasquez as well. I think the difference with Vasquez this year is that he is playing with a lot more maturity, and the team does look to him as a leader and a calming influence whenever he is on the floor. The way he has helped make the players around him perform so much better is impressive. Look at the improvements in Moseley, Tucker, Williams - I think some part of that is Vasquez, his work ethic, enthusiasm, encouragement and playmaking. Maybe this is just antecdotal, but the difference I notice with Greivis in ACC play is that he is playing much smarter - involving others, less mistakes. There seem to be a lot less times when I am screaming at the TV because Vasquez just forced some bone-headed play.

Also, Md definitely needs Vasquez's scoring, and he is definitely key down the stretch due to his FT shooting. Granted, MD has other ball handlers with great FT%, but hardly should that be held against GV. JMHO

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vasquez should be getting more talk of being a first team all american. Other than Evan Turner I dont see any locks. Really take a look at the names. Who can you argue that Vasquez doesn't have a better case than? My team would be Turner, Harongody, Vasquez, Wall, and Cousins. In that order. Not only is he averaging 20 pts a game on a first place team in the ACC, but he is like fourth in the nation in assists.

Vitale was saying that Scheyer and Vasquez should be co acc player of the years. Apparently it's happen before when Battier and Forte were co champs.

Of course Vitale would say something like that...and he is wrong...

I think its obvious that either would be a fine choice.

I'd go with Vasquez because not only does he have a similar resume to Scheyer for "best player" I think he's got the clear title of "most important player to his team" as well.

This. Scheyer doesn't have to carry his team, Vasquez does. They are both fine players but Vasquez is required to do more for his team and he really carried them to a season that was better than anyone expected.

For the first time this season I actually heard a talking head mention the Terps has a final four team. Now Digger was the commentator and he is out there some times, IMO. However he said there are no great teams this season and in years like that coaching is what makes the difference, he said the combination of GW and GV give the terps a chance to go a long way.

For the first time this season I actually heard a talking head mention the Terps has a final four team. Now Digger was the commentator and he is out there some times, IMO. However he said there are no great teams this season and in years like that coaching is what makes the difference, he said the combination of GW and GV give the terps a chance to go a long way.

Well not to get carried away but for the Terps to get to the Final Four depends entirely on their bracket.

Ideally they'd be a 3 that beats their two in the sweet 16 and in the Elite 8 plays a team that upset the 1.

I think Vazquez deserves it, and will win it..However, I have to admit, I never thought Scheyer could become this good of a player back when I first saw him as a Freshman. He improved so much over his 4 years, and for that, I give much respect.

Why is he wrong? Because your relatively poor basketball knowledge says he is?

LOL at that.

Vitale said they should share the award!! How is that showing his apparent HUGE Duke bias??? Nice of him to forget to mention how Vitale talked about how Gary should be ACC COY and should be in the Hall of Fame and was slurping Gary for like 10 minutes...Nooo, he is such a Duke homer baby!!!

Not much frustrates me more...

LOL at that.

Vitale said they should share the award!! How is that showing his apparent HUGE Duke bias??? Nice of him to forget to mention how Vitale talked about how Gary should be ACC COY and should be in the Hall of Fame and was slurping Gary for like 10 minutes...Nooo, he is such a Duke homer baby!!!

Not much frustrates me more...

ESPN hates the TerpsRavensOriolesBlastHopkinsLaxTowsonUMBC...;)

ESPN hates the TerpsRavensOriolesBlastHopkinsLaxTowsonUMBC...;)

It's just so funny to see because I don't think I've seen a Terps team get this much love since the Dixon Title team.

Seriously. Gary gets love anytime they talk about Maryland (as he should)

Vasquez gets love on almost every show.

ONE OF SPORTS CENTERS TOP ANCHORS WENT TO MARYLAND AND OPENLY PIMPS THE TERPS ALLLL THE TIME!!!

What more do you want???

It's just so funny to see because I don't think I've seen a Terps team get this much love since the Dixon Title team.

Seriously. Gary gets love anytime they talk about Maryland (as he should)

Vasquez gets love on almost every show.

ONE OF SPORTS CENTERS TOP ANCHORS WENT TO MARYLAND AND OPENLY PIMPS THE TERPS ALLLL THE TIME!!!

What more do you want???

Its jealousy...Plain and simple.

Archived