Vasquez for ACC POY

sportsfan8703

The tourney isn't on tobacco road..Its usually in Greensboro, which is 50-60 miles away from that area.

Now, obviously that's close but guess what, a lot of the ACC teams are near there.

You have Duke, Wake, NC State and UNC all in the state of NC. With the league expanded, its not as high a percentage as it used to be but that was close to half the league before...Plus, UVA, MD and Clemson are all within 6 hours of there I believe, which is hardly some long drive.

The teams that generally get screwed are BC, GT, FSU and Miami but really, NC is as central point as any for the conference tourney.

It has been in DC...It has been in Atlanta and it will be in those places again but the most sensible place is for it to be in the state of NC.

I believe it being in DC was closer to the MD campus than Greensboro is to Tobacco Rd.

So basically what you are saying is that you think MD should have much more of an advantage as often as possible.

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_Coast_Conference_men's_basketball_tournament_champions

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well no one forced those schools to join a conference that didn't make sense for them in term of geography. I think the problem with your every team gets the tourney as much as any other plan is that some areas don't have suitable arenas other than the college's arena, some areas would struggle to support the tourney attendance wise, and some are very far out of the way for many of the schools in the conference.

In terms of the ACC, I don't think Boston should get the tourney, that's not really ACC territory, I'm not sure if enough people would travel there, and BC knew the deal when they came into the conference. I like your idea of using a few logical sites and rotating between them better. So Atlanta, Greensboro, and DC in the ACC. NYC, PHI or DC and maybe PIT. I wouldn't take the Big East tourney into the Midwest for the same reasons I wouldn't bring the ACC tourney to Boston. Pac 10 in LA, SF/Oak, Portland, and Phoenix. Etc...

Yea the one per school situation is ideal but not practical. A place like Va Tech, for example isn't really near a major city.

As for the schools knowing what they got into, well, that may be the case but in a lot of those instances the conference needed them as much as they needed the conference. The Big East lost Miami, BC and Va Tech and decided it wanted to expand, swallow up a large portion of the country in the process and invited those mid-west schools. Whether they like it or not, they're composed of a large chunk of teams that could be considered "mid-west" Cincinnati, Notre Dame, DePaul, Marquette, Louisville, etc. and to a lesser extent places like Pitt and West Virginia border on mid-west vs. east.

While the Big East's history may be ingrained in the NYC area, they are what they are, and that's a conference represented enough by the mid-west to put its tournament there every once in a while.

I definitely don't disagree here but I feel like other top programs play more true road games...

But is this true?

I mean, I know UNC acts as if they are god because they play a mid major on their floor sometimes but most schools don't do that because they want a 2 for 1 deal and most mid majors aren't willing to do that. That's always the way it is.

But is this true?

I mean, I know UNC acts as if they are god because they play a mid major on their floor sometimes but most schools don't do that because they want a 2 for 1 deal and most mid majors aren't willing to do that. That's always the way it is.

Well just for craps and giggles, when I have more time, I'll look at the schedules dook, UCLA, UNC and Kansas have played the past few seasons and compare the amount of true road games each has played. If dook is near them I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

Notice the trend.

They've definitely moved it around a lot more recently, which is a good thing, but I still think it's played in North Carolina far too often. Even with it being in DC, Atlanta and St. Pete recently, 6 of the last 10 tournaments have been in the state of North Carolina. And the ACC is not composed of 60% North Carolina schools.

Yea the one per school situation is ideal but not practical. A place like Va Tech, for example isn't really near a major city.

As for the schools knowing what they got into, well, that may be the case but in a lot of those instances the conference needed them as much as they needed the conference. The Big East lost Miami, BC and Va Tech and decided it wanted to expand, swallow up a large portion of the country in the process and invited those mid-west schools. Whether they like it or not, they're composed of a large chunk of teams that could be considered "mid-west" Cincinnati, Notre Dame, DePaul, Marquette, Louisville, etc. and to a lesser extent places like Pitt and West Virginia border on mid-west vs. east.

While the Big East's history may be ingrained in the NYC area, they are what they are, and that's a conference represented enough by the mid-west to put its tournament there every once in a while.

I think most of those schools needed the Big East more than the other way around. The Big East obviously took more teams than they needed after they lost the 3 schools to the ACC.

I guess I just wouldn't care if I was in charge of the Big East. I would keep the conference tourney in the east where Big East basketball means something. They're the one conference I'd have no problem with just having the tourney in NYC every year. Tradition, most famous arena in the world, biggest and best city in the US, basketball rich city, and is a good location for all the historic teams of the conference.

Jon Scheyer leads the ACC in three statistical categories and is the only player in the league to rank in the top 5 in seven statistical categories: scoring (third, 18.8 ppg.), assists (fourth, 5.3 apg.), free throw percentage (first, .887), three-point field goals (first, 2.9 3pg.), three-point field goal percentage (second, .409), assist-to-turnover ratio (first, 3.06:1) and minutes (second, 36.4 mpg.).

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204899268

RPG: Vasquez 29th (4.8) Scheyer 47th (3.4)

PPG: Vasquez 2nd (19.5) Scheyer 3rd (18.8)

APG: Vasquez 1st (6.4) Scheyer 4th (5.3)

FG%: Vasquez 30th (43.7) Scheyer 41st (41.7)

SPG: Vasquez 9th (1.5) Scheyer 6th (1.7)

FT%: Vasquez 3rd (84.3) Scheyer 1st (88.7)

BPG: Vasquez 60th (0.3) Scheyer 72nd (0.2)

I think its obvious that either would be a fine choice.

I'd go with Vasquez because not only does he have a similar resume to Scheyer for "best player" I think he's got the clear title of "most important player to his team" as well.

I think its obvious that either would be a fine choice.

I'd go with Vasquez because not only does he have a similar resume to Scheyer for "best player" I think he's got the clear title of "most important player to his team" as well.

I do agree with this but when I think about it, it may not be as clear cut as I originally thought.

Duke has 3 guards and they look to Scheyer to be a calming influence..he is a smart player that doesn't usually make too many mistakes...Plus, he is key down the stretch because of his FT shooting in tight games. They also need his scoring.

So, while Vazquez is likely more important to his team(because he isn't surrounded by as much talent), its closer than I think some think.

Archived