Vasquez for ACC POY

sportsfan8703

With tonight's performance Vasquez sealed ACC player of the year. And I don't even think the vote will be that close.

I will take that bet....The POY thing is far from over and the vote would be close.

I agree GV should win it but right now, I don't think he would.

Beat Duke and have him have a good game and then he wins it.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will take that bet....The POY thing is far from over and the vote would be close.

I agree GV should win it but right now, I don't think he would.

Beat Duke and have him have a good game and then he wins it.

Didn't Julius Hodge win ACC POY on a last place NC State team? The place the team finishes does not matter as much as the player's individual performance. Vasquez has this. You all are letting Tabacco Road Bias paranoia go to your heads.

Didn't Julius Hodge win ACC POY on a last place NC State team? The place the team finishes does not matter as much as the player's individual performance. Vasquez has this. You all are letting Tabacco Road Bias paranoia go to your heads.

No, NC State went 11-5 in 2004.

No, NC State went 11-5 in 2004.

And, oh by the way, played in NORTH CAROLINA :D

We all know what is going to happen here....just a matter of time. We all know the whole league including the writers don't care for Vasquez. We also all know he plays for Maryland (not a NC school). I'm pretty sure Vasquez will finish not 2nd, but 3rd for ACC player of the year right behind Scheyer #1 (of course, he plays for Duke), and a guy he completely manhandled last night, Delaney. Scheyer and Delaney are both very good players, but I mean come on. Neither of those 2 players above have willed their teams to as many wins as Vasquez has. I'm sure Vasquez will outplay Scheyer on Wed. night but it won't really matter.

:rolleyes:

Woooooooeeeeeeee is meeeeeeeee.

Why do so many Maryland fans think like this?? Scheyer has been great for Duke this year too. It's not like some bum might win over Vasquez. And I still think Vasquez should and will win POY in the ACC.

And, oh by the way, played in NORTH CAROLINA :D

I know, and so did Jared Dudley!

Oh, wait...

I don't see why it's not understood. The reason that UNC and Duke usually get the ACC POYs is because they're usually the top teams in the conference. If you're one of the best teams, chances are you have one of the best players. I understand that it's easy to point to bias, but why don't you see if GV -doesn't- get the award before getting all upset? As of right now, he deserves it. If Scheyer/Singler mops the floor with the Terps this week, that will change.

Also, Delaney goes to VT. What does that have to do with "Tobacco Road Bias" if he wins?

I know, and so did Jared Dudley!

Oh, wait...

I don't see why it's not understood. The reason that UNC and Duke usually get the ACC POYs is because they're usually the top teams in the conference. If you're one of the best teams, chances are you have one of the best players. I understand that it's easy to point to bias, but why don't you see if GV -doesn't- get the award before getting all upset? As of right now, he deserves it. If Scheyer/Singler mops the floor with the Terps this week, that will change.

Also, Delaney goes to VT. What does that have to do with "Tobacco Road Bias" if he wins?

What if Scheyer still wins over both Vasquez and Delaney?

By the way, I was making a joke about Hodge.

Scheyer would be a completely justifiable winner and it wouldn't have anything to do with a Carolina bias. Vasquez also would be a completely justifiable winner.

There are usually more deserving candidates than Player of the Year spots, its a bit rarer that a guy just runs away with it and giving it to anyone else would be a clear mistake.

Then he does....Scheyer is clearly a guy who could win it...Him winning it isn't some crime...It would be another reason for MD fans to cry about biases though.

The argument can be made that Delaney should get it before Vazquez or Scheyer as well.

BTW, UNC and Duke win ACC POY awards a lot because well, THEY HAvE THE BEST PLAYERS!

Then he does....Scheyer is clearly a guy who could win it...Him winning it isn't some crime...It would be another reason for MD fans to cry about biases though.

The argument can be made that Delaney should get it before Vazquez or Scheyer as well.

BTW, UNC and Duke win ACC POY awards a lot because well, THEY HAvE THE BEST PLAYERS!

They do have good players but so do other teams. I'm not saying their is a bias but the ACC has done some things like keep the Tournament in Tobacco Road for eons that would lead to that perception.

Personally I think Vasquez deserves it but I won't be shocked if someone else wins.

On another note about perception, how do you keep the #2 team in the ACC out of the rankings for so long? Could be a lot of reasons but I can see where it would make people scratch their heads. Especially after they kept NC in there so long this year after multiple losses.

BTW, UNC and Duke win ACC POY awards a lot because well, THEY HAvE THE BEST PLAYERS![/QUOTE]

You mean the same reason the Yankees and Red Sox get a lot of coverage? Wait, it's not that the media "loves" those teams..But I thought ESPN's offices were near Duke and Carolina during these months, only to move to Boston/New York in the Summer, and Dallas and New England in the winter...I'm so confused.

It can't just be as simple as these are usually just really good teams, can it? :rolleyes:

Vazquez is a lock, no worries Terps fans.

They do have good players but so do other teams. I'm not saying their is a bias but the ACC has done some things like keep the Tournament in Tobacco Road for eons that would lead to that perception.

Personally I think Vasquez deserves it but I won't be shocked if someone else wins.

On another note about perception, how do you keep the #2 team in the ACC out of the rankings for so long? Could be a lot of reasons but I can see where it would make people scratch their heads. Especially after they kept NC in there so long this year after multiple losses.

The tourney isn't on tobacco road..Its usually in Greensboro, which is 50-60 miles away from that area.

Now, obviously that's close but guess what, a lot of the ACC teams are near there.

You have Duke, Wake, NC State and UNC all in the state of NC. With the league expanded, its not as high a percentage as it used to be but that was close to half the league before...Plus, UVA, MD and Clemson are all within 6 hours of there I believe, which is hardly some long drive.

The teams that generally get screwed are BC, GT, FSU and Miami but really, NC is as central point as any for the conference tourney.

It has been in DC...It has been in Atlanta and it will be in those places again but the most sensible place is for it to be in the state of NC.

I believe it being in DC was closer to the MD campus than Greensboro is to Tobacco Rd.

So basically what you are saying is that you think MD should have much more of an advantage as often as possible.

The tourney isn't on tobacco road..Its usually in Greensboro, which is 50-60 miles away from that area.

Now, obviously that's close but guess what, a lot of the ACC teams are near there.

You have Duke, Wake, NC State and UNC all in the state of NC. With the league expanded, its not as high a percentage as it used to be but that was close to half the league before...Plus, UVA, MD and Clemson are all within 6 hours of there I believe, which is hardly some long drive.

The teams that generally get screwed are BC, GT, FSU and Miami but really, NC is as central point as any for the conference tourney.

It has been in DC...It has been in Atlanta and it will be in those places again but the most sensible place is for it to be in the state of NC.

I believe it being in DC was closer to the MD campus than Greensboro is to Tobacco Rd.

So basically what you are saying is that you think MD should have much more of an advantage as often as possible.

In terms of the tournament they should rotate it every year to be in a new city near the home institution. That would mean it's in Raleigh 1/4 of the time, it would also be in Boston, Atlanta, Miami, DC, once every 12 years.

Fairest way to do it. If I was in the PAC-10 and was an Oregon fan or something I'd be livid that every year my team/fans have to travel all the way down to LA for the tournament when UCLA and USC can hop in their car and get their in a matter of minutes...

In terms of the tournament they should rotate it every year to be in a new city near the home institution. That would mean it's in Raleigh 1/4 of the time, it would also be in Boston, Atlanta, Miami, DC, once every 12 years.

Fairest way to do it. If I was in the PAC-10 and was an Oregon fan or something I'd be livid that every year my team/fans have to travel all the way down to LA for the tournament when UCLA and USC can hop in their car and get their in a matter of minutes...

I don't have an issue with that but I don't know how likely it is...You are basically saying you should try to accomodate one team and I am not sure I agree with that but its also not some terrible idea that I would be against either.

That being said, its funny that you bring up the Pac 10....Look at all the major conferences...Do any of those conferences move their tourneys at all?

Isn't the Big 12 always in Kansas City? Pac 10 in LA? Big East in NY? Big 10 in Chicago? SEC is usually in Atlanta I think?

Hell, the smaller conferences have the final games in the home gym of the higher seeded team!

So really, when you look at it, the ACC may be more fair than another conference in terms of the tourney.

I don't have an issue with that but I don't know how likely it is...You are basically saying you should try to accomodate one team and I am not sure I agree with that but its also not some terrible idea that I would be against either.

That being said, its funny that you bring up the Pac 10....Look at all the major conferences...Do any of those conferences move their tourneys at all?

Isn't the Big 12 always in Kansas City? Pac 10 in LA? Big East in NY? Big 10 in Chicago? SEC is usually in Atlanta I think?

Hell, the smaller conferences have the final games in the home gym of the higher seeded team!

So really, when you look at it, the ACC may be more fair than another conference in terms of the tourney.

Yes the PAC-10 was the first conference that came to mind but the example holds for any of the conferences you mentioned.

It's not fair for Big 12 teams where Kansas has that advantage every year, for example. Kansas is usually the best team in the Big 12 period, they should rotate that tournament at least between say Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, etc etc.

I'm not saying there is some ungodly bias in the ACC towards the NC schools but I feel like if a school makes up 1/12 of the conference, they should be able to host their conference's tournament 1/12 of the time.

Archived