Vasquez for ACC POY

sportsfan8703

Yes the PAC-10 was the first conference that came to mind but the example holds for any of the conferences you mentioned.

It's not fair for Big 12 teams where Kansas has that advantage every year, for example. Kansas is usually the best team in the Big 12 period, they should rotate that tournament at least between say Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, etc etc.

I'm not saying there is some ungodly bias in the ACC towards the NC schools but I feel like if a school makes up 1/12 of the conference, they should be able to host their conference's tournament 1/12 of the time.

Is KU closer to Kansas City than Missouri is? I wouldn't think KU has a "home court" type of advantage there. I think that tourney was in Oklahoma City last year..could be wrong though.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is KU closer to Kansas City than Missouri is? I wouldn't think KU has a "home court" type of advantage there. I think that tourney was in Oklahoma City last year..could be wrong though.

Lawrence is 40 miles from Kansas City.

Austin is 734 miles from Kansas City.

And yes, Seth, you're right, it turns out the Big 12 tourney was in Oklahoma City last year, my bad.

So it looks like other conferences are starting to realize the inequity of the whole thing. Granted I realize that, for the most part, these conference tournaments don't matter to teams like Texas (generally) that are guaranteed NCAA spots regardless but I just think that in those years where teams need a win or two to get consideration, they may appreciate the fact that the floor they play on rotates to provide some sort of fairness.

Columbia is 120 miles from Kansas City.

Manhattan is 121 miles from Kansas City.

Even if both were closer, I'm not sure I understand your point. I agree that having it in one city all the time generally won't benefit just one team -- in the case of the ACC it benefits 4 schools.

My point is that having one city host the tournament every year is insanely unfair to the schools that are not close to the area. Just because one school is an outlier geographically (the best example in the ACC is Miami or BC) doesn't mean they don't exist.

And yes, Seth, you're right, it turns out the Big 12 tourney was in Oklahoma City last year, my bad.

So it looks like other conferences are starting to realize the inequity of the whole thing. Granted I realize that, for the most part, these conference tournaments don't matter to teams like Texas (generally) that are guaranteed NCAA spots regardless but I just think that in those years where teams need a win or two to get consideration, they may appreciate the fact that the floor they play on rotates to provide some sort of fairness.

I think the Big 12 is probably a bad example anyway given that certain schools fans are legendary for thier willingness to travel. Oklahoma State/K State and Kansas fans will go anywhere. I remember in the '95 NCAA tourney, of the 8 teams in Baltimore there were far more Oklahoma State fans than any other school.

Breaking this down with the SEC (which as far as I know hosts their tournament in Atlanta every year):

You have a lot of the schools in the SEC East that probably find Atlanta a lot more accessible every year than a team like Arkansas or LSU.

It doesn't even need to be as dramatic as "make it in a new building every year" like I suggested earlier -- they could rotate between Atlanta, New Orleans and, say, Nashville.

Columbia is 120 miles from Kansas City.

Manhattan is 121 miles from Kansas City.

Even if both were closer, I'm not sure I understand your point. I agree that having it in one city all the time generally won't benefit just one team -- in the case of the ACC it benefits 4 schools.

My point is that having one city host the tournament every year is insanely unfair to the schools that are not close to the area. Just because one school is an outlier geographically (the best example in the ACC is Miami or BC) doesn't mean they don't exist.

I just assumed (wrong) that Mizzou would be closer to Kansas City than KU was..I don't really know my point either to be honest, but I guess I was sort of challenging the "advantage for Kansas" notion, that's all.

Agree with your second point..The Big East being a good example, as it will never not be in New York City..If DePaul or USF ever become legit threats, it will be a big challenge to compete with the schools much closer. Though Seton Hall and St John's have been non factors for a while now...

I think the Big 12 is probably a bad example anyway given that certain schools fans are legendary for thier willingness to travel. Oklahoma State/K State and Kansas fans will go anywhere. I remember in the '95 NCAA tourney, of the 8 teams in Baltimore there were far more Oklahoma State fans than any other school.

Yes they do travel well (probably because most of them live in Oklahoma and Kansas lol) but it still doesn't overlook the whole road/home thing that exists as an advantage in college basketball and really any sport.

The Jayhawks get to sleep in their own dorms and take a 30 minute bus ride. Texas has to sleep in hotels and go through the rigors of air travel. There is a reason that books look at who the home team is when setting lines.

BTW, SG mentioned in an earlier post about how the smaller conferences play their games in the higher seed's gym. I actually don't have a problem with that. Those teams earned the right to play there by winning the regular season.

I just assumed (wrong) that Mizzou would be closer to Kansas City than KU was..I don't really know my point either to be honest, but I guess I was sort of challenging the "advantage for Kansas" notion, that's all.

Agree with your second point..The Big East being a good example, as it will never not be in New York City..If DePaul or USF ever become legit threats, it will be a big challenge to compete with the schools much closer. Though Seton Hall and St John's have been non factors for a while now...

Yea, the main reason I harped on Kansas is because they're usually one of the best (if not the best) program in the conference.

The Big East is probably the best example. They have several schools in the greater NY area (St. Johns, Hall, Rutgers, UConn, even Syracuse who has a huge fan base down there).

But they're so spread out geographically (all the way west to Wisconsin and Illinois) that I really think they need to consider moving that tournament around. Is it really fair for a team like Notre Dame or Louisville or Cincinnati to have to play their conference tournament in New York every year? I don't think so.

There is no perfect solution, but the Big East might do well to rotate their tournament between New York and Chicago, just to give those Big East teams in the mid-west a degree of fairness.

Yes they do travel well (probably because most of them live in Oklahoma and Kansas lol) but it still doesn't overlook the whole road/home thing that exists as an advantage in college basketball and really any sport.

The Jayhawks get to sleep in their own dorms and take a 30 minute bus ride. Texas has to sleep in hotels and go through the rigors of air travel. There is a reason that books look at who the home team is when setting lines.

BTW, SG mentioned in an earlier post about how the smaller conferences play their games in the higher seed's gym. I actually don't have a problem with that. Those teams earned the right to play there by winning the regular season.

All good points, and I don't know what the solution is. I guess teams like the Texas schools who all were kind of screwed when the old Southwest Conference folded had to kind of accept the tradition of the Big Eight when they joined that conference, fair or not.

I love the way the smaller conferences do it too, but the big conferences have the money coming in from all of the schools fand flocking to the big areans,so they'd never do it. Imagine the importance of the Terps/Duke game tomorrow if the possibility of hosting the ACC title game was on the line....

All good points, and I don't know what the solution is. I guess teams like the Texas schools who all were kind of screwed when the old Southwest Conference folded had to kind of accept the tradition of the Big Eight when they joined that conference, fair or not.

I love the way the smaller conferences do it too, but the big conferences have the money coming in from all of the schools fand flocking to the big areans,so they'd never do it. Imagine the importance of the Terps/Duke game tomorrow if the possibility of hosting the ACC title game was on the line....

Well it looks like the Big 12 has sorta found a solution, rotating the tournament between Oklahoma City and Kansas City.

Now if only the Big 10 would rotate between Detroit and Chicago:)

Well it looks like the Big 12 has sorta found a solution, rotating the tournament between Oklahoma City and Kansas City.

Now if only the Big 10 would rotate between Detroit and Chicago:)

You and I should run College Basketball...plain and simple!

I don't think many people on this board would like that, at least if I ran it that is....

Say goodbye to Valpo over Ole Miss!

I would make Duke play real road games before January..That would be my first rule.

Archived