Vasquez for ACC POY

sportsfan8703

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) His shooting was better in second and third year than first year..That's an improvement.

2) His assists went down as his scoring was more needed...Should be obvious.

3) 2:1 as a rookie is fine.

Saying he had limited upside is just poor on every level.

He wasn't a great shooter, I agree with that...But he was a great scorer...Kind of like Iverson and Arenas(not comparing them persay just talking about their scoring abilities).

Your statistical arguments are weak at best. You're the one trying to make the case he improved, and all you've really done is shown that he didn't get worse. Again, I said by the end of his freshman year, he was what he was, and you haven't pointed out anything that disputes that. If I were to use your logic (and I won't), the conclusion would be that he regressed as a player when he was a junior.

He was quick - but certainly not at Iverson's level. Iverson could and did basically go 1 on 5 often and succeed - not that that was a smart thing. Iverson was as driven and competitive a player (for better or for worse) as I've ever seen - with the possible exception of Jordan. And Arenas is 3 or 4 inches taller and was just a much more gifted player.

I've already given the reasons for why I said he had limited upside, so don't come back with - that's "just poor on every level". That kind of arguing style is just lame... on every level.

He has a low FG% because he takes a lot of shots and a lot of bad shots but in terms of pure shooting ability, you can't say he's a poor shooter in the same ilk as JW.

While I wouldn't call Iverson a great shooter, guys like him and Arenas who SG mentioned are much better shooters than their perecentages imply. Guys like that take a lot of tough and contested shots compared to guys who take less shots and receive less defensive attention. If Iverson or Arenas were just spot up shooters like Reddick, they would shoot a much higher % than they do.

While I wouldn't call Iverson a great shooter, guys like him and Arenas who SG mentioned are much better shooters than their perecentages imply. Guys like that take a lot of tough and contested shots compared to guys who take less shots and receive less defenisve attention. If Iverson or Arenas were just spot up shooters like Reddick, they would shoot a much higher %.

Actually, Iverson never had great range - unlike Arenas. Williams was somewhere in between them, imo. What made both Arenas and AI great scorers was their ability to get to the basket and finish - and they were the best at drawing fouls.

Actually, Iverson never had great range - unlike Arenas. Williams was somewhere in between them, imo. What made both Arenas and AI great scorers was their ability to get to the basket and finish - and they were the best at drawing fouls.

Like I said, I wouldn't call him a great shooter, just better than his perecentages imply. Arenas is a very good to great outside shooter though, perhaps not with guns though. :D

You still believe Duncan is one of the best players in the NBA? What do you consider to be a top NBA player? Top 10? Top 20?

Yes. I'm not sure about the number cutoff, but I'd put him in the top 15, borderline top 10..

We all know what is going to happen here....just a matter of time. We all know the whole league including the writers don't care for Vasquez. We also all know he plays for Maryland (not a NC school). I'm pretty sure Vasquez will finish not 2nd, but 3rd for ACC player of the year right behind Scheyer #1 (of course, he plays for Duke), and a guy he completely manhandled last night, Delaney. Scheyer and Delaney are both very good players, but I mean come on. Neither of those 2 players above have willed their teams to as many wins as Vasquez has. I'm sure Vasquez will outplay Scheyer on Wed. night but it won't really matter.

Archived