Our old friend Hayden

wildcard

I'm confused -- wasn't he out of options last year? If he wasn't, the O's would have just optioned him to Norfolk in the hopes he'd finally pan out. Florida sent him to the minors, and he cleared waivers, yet the article says "But they kept him on their 40-man roster." That doesn't make sense. I assume they must have called him back up later in the year, in which case he'd again have the options issue.

Regardless, I wish him well. There was a time when he was a great hope from our farm system.

I'm confused -- wasn't he out of options last year? If he wasn't, the O's would have just optioned him to Norfolk in the hopes he'd finally pan out. Florida sent him to the minors, and he cleared waivers, yet the article says "But they kept him on their 40-man roster." That doesn't make sense. I assume they must have called him back up later in the year, in which case he'd again have the options issue.

Regardless, I wish him well. There was a time when he was a great hope from our farm system.

I was wondering about this too.

Either way, I am rooting for Penn. It's hard to believe he is still only 25 years old.

Putting a player through waivers doesn't have anything to do with his status on the 40-man roster. It just means that they're not keeping him on the active 25-man roster. He cleared waivers and went down to the minors last season, and I think that as a player who's out of options, he'll have to go through waivers again every new season if he doesn't stick on the 25-man roster.

As for keeping him on the 40-man in 2009 after demoting him, they probably kept him on the 40-man roster to avoid losing him altogether. IIRC, if you want to remove a player from the 40-man, he has the option of refusing the assignment and choosing to become a free agent.

Penn was out of options last year. He didn't do too well for the Marlins, and he made it through waivers unclaimed.

At the time in spring training, the O's were sure he wouldn't have made it through waivers. (And case in point, the Marlins thought highly enough of him to trade for him, so one could assume that they at least would have claimed him.)

Archived