ACC Tourney thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does any coach consistently do less with more talent than Purnell?

Its pretty bad, isn't it?

Last year, I had them going to the elite 8....Really thought they were poised for a long run..But I didn't factor in the Purnell factor.

It is amazing how important coaching is at the college level.

Of course you hate it...you are a Terp fan...You want to win every game.

But a loss won't really hurt them...If they lose, they are helped out IMO.

You keep saying this team is going to get tired. I don't get it. Every team gets tired at this time of year and they fight through it. I don't understand how MD is helped by a loss. Sure it gives them some extra days off, but I am sure MD wants to keep winning games and go deep into this tournament.

Kansas, Kentucky and Syracuse are pretty clearly the best 3 teams in the sport this year....So, avoiding them is best case scenario.
Of course losing in the 1st or 2nd round would be a way to avoid them but not the ideal way.

I'd rather play Kansas, Kentucky, or Syracuse in the 3rd round than lose in the first or second.

I'll take the highest seed possible.

NC St beats Clemson, which helps MD in their half of the draw.

Lots of upsets in the conference tourneys...Sign of things to come in the NCAA tourney?

I think the lower seeds have something to play for whereas the teams already in the tournament are on cruise control. I really hope that doesn't happen to MD.

You keep saying this team is going to get tired. I don't get it. Every team gets tired at this time of year and they fight through it. I don't understand how MD is helped by a loss. Sure it gives them some extra days off, but I am sure MD wants to keep winning games and go deep into this tournament.
They won't in any better physical shape for the game next Thursday or Friday (barring an actual injury) if they lose tonight than they would be if they make it to the Championship.

3 days off is more than enough time for these guys to recover from any amount of exhaustion. An injury would be different, but that could happen in any game. Anyone who is hoping for or rationalizing a loss in the first game out of fear of someone getting hurt in either of the next two games has their head in the wrong place, IMO.

Finals or bust, baby!

I don't think anyone would argue with that. I just think that MD, or any team for that matter, has a better chance of facing those teams by finishing as high as possible.. If we are already assuming that MD will or will not get that far, then I will just stop commenting.

I'd disagree. With Onuako hurt, Syracuse doesn't scare me nearly as much anymore. Georgetown manhandled them yesterday. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them ranked as a #2.

I'd disagree. With Onuako hurt, Syracuse doesn't scare me nearly as much anymore. Georgetown manhandled them yesterday. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them ranked as a #2.

Then who else gets a #1? No one is that good this year...the rush of anyone under the age of 19 to the NBA is starting to really dilute the talent in college ball IMO, and it's really showing with the lack of impressive teams this season.

Gaudio, Dino. Although this year, he only has one McDonald's AA.

Yep, as a Wake fan I can't wait for him to be shown the door. This collapse this year, is Orioles like. 5 out of 6 heading to the tourney, including getting whipped by last place Miami. I think they'll probably get in, but I don't think they deserve it. One and done for the Deacs, and it will continue that way until we get a coach who knows defense. Dave Odom please come back.

Then who else gets a #1? No one is that good this year...the rush of anyone under the age of 19 to the NBA is starting to really dilute the talent in college ball IMO, and it's really showing with the lack of impressive teams this season.

I discussed this in another thread, but other than UK and KU:

Purdue/OSU (if they win their tourney)

Duke (if they win their tourney)

WVU (if they win their tourney)

...I think they'd all get preference over Syracuse. So I think they could legitimately be as low as the second #2 seed.

Yep, as a Wake fan I can't wait for him to be shown the door. This collapse this year, is Orioles like. 5 out of 6 heading to the tourney, including getting whipped by last place Miami. I think they'll probably get in, but I don't think they deserve it. One and done for the Deacs, and it will continue that way until we get a coach who knows defense. Dave Odom please come back.

I would take Purnell every day of the week over Gaudio..Last year was worse for you guys..Ranked #1 at one point and it really seemed like Teague and Johnson just mailed it in from February on. It's a shame, really, he's had some good talent the last two years. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't get in. Losses to Carolina and Miami the past few weeks are embarrassing.

...I think they'd all get preference over Syracuse. So I think they could legitimately be as low as the second #2 seed.

I don't even know if Duke would have to win the tourney. If they get to the final intact they'd have to be in the picture. I agree with OSU/Purdue as well. WVU..... I guess wins are wins, but they've had alot of close ones this year.

My guess is UK, KU, Duke, OSU

No way. Syracuse as a #1 is a lock. They were significantly better than all of those teams over the course of the year. They're not going to be docked by losing a meaningless conference tourney game to a Top 20 team.

No way. Syracuse as a #1 is a lock. They were significantly better than all of those teams over the course of the year. They're not going to be docked by losing a meaningless conference tourney game to a Top 20 team.

Just like teams winning 6 of 7 to end the season getting in over a team losing 5 of 7, I think it works the same way for the first line. If they only lost that tourney game, fine. But I think losing two in a row might be a little much, especially without having any wins in between.

Meanwhile, if three teams win out through Saturday/Sunday that are -close- to better than Syracuse, I'd take them on the first line before the Orange.

Archived