MacPhail to release web video for fans tomorrow

Slappy

Eh, I guess so. I suppose there is a small group of fans who aren't serious enough/tech savvy enough to peruse the message boards and blogs but are serious enough/tech savvy enough to stumble upon this video at orioles.com without any prior hype who might see it and think "I haven't been following the box scores or watching the games every day, but I guess what he's saying makes sense. Good to know they don't think it's a lost cause and that they'll address some needs externally if they have to."

I would wager there's probably a larger number of frustrated, tuned in fans who will see this video and get even more reactionary because it's not a magic message.

It's a PR move, but I don't think it was particularly productive. I dunno, I've already spent too many words on the topic so I guess I'll just say oh well and move on.

I assumed it was posted online, but would be replayed on MASN or somesuch. I could be wrong.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't the point of the argument we're having now though, is it?

And I must say, you've really turned the corner on AM in the last two months. You seem just about positive that he'll never do another good thing. Your choice. I understand the frustration, but the change is amazing to watch.

I guess I still remember the guy who traded Olson for Pie, Sherrill for Bell, and Zaun for Hughes and have a bit of faith that he knows what he is doing. He needs to do more, but he has told us that he'll augment with bigger names when we get closer. I believe him. Why? Because he did almost everything else he told me he was going to do. Sure, he has done a few bad things like Atkins, but much more good than bad IMO.

HE NEVER SAID THIS!

He said he will buy the bats...We have no idea what that means. That could man signing 2 Aubrey Huff-esque players.

There is nothing in his history to believe he will do what it takes to put this team over the top in this division.

Sports Guy in January:

Quick question: would that "impact" move that AM didn't make be a SS who would help us now? Or are you going all the way back to when you think we should have signed Teix?

What the hell does this have to do with anything?

I still believe AGon and Fielder would be bad moves...but that's more about their extensions that we would need to sign than anything else.

And who said anything about getting immediate impact from SS...yes, I wanted hardy and still do but ultimately, what i want is for him to go out and find someone that can hold down the position and be league average or better for a while...He can't even do that.

I appreciate the video. I like that he called out the positions - 1B, LF, CF, DH.

First I've seen of an Orioles GM releasing a video to the fans, that's for sure. His moves haven't worked out, but we can't just say "Rah rah Garrett Atkins!" and pretend that one move made Jones, Reimold, and Scott (all previously solid players) stop hitting completely. The starting rotation is much better - I'll freaking take that because it hasn't been for about a decade.

Anyway, it's good to communicate to the fans, regardless of if we think he should be beating himself up in a video, which he shouldn't be.

I haven't seen the video yet since I'm working, but that seems to at least be taking some accountability...those are positions manned primarily by players he has acquired.

There is nothing in his history to believe he will do what it takes to put this team over the top in this division.
And there is nothing in his history that is relevant to the task he has of trying to build up the Orioles.

He may sign guys to huge contracts. He may shy away from anything over $5M per year. Nothing he's done in his past is of any relevance to his current job. I don't think he's gonna be great because he's built WS contenders before, and I don't think he's gonna suck because he hasn't given out huge FA deals before. I think he's going to approach this job differently because its a completely different job.

Any speculation as to what he will or will not do is simply that, speculation. The fact that he hasn't signed any big time FAs is just as irrelevant to the question of whether he will or will not sign big time FAs here as the fact that he's built two WS teams in the past is to whether or not he can build us into a WS team. Different teams, different mountains to climb, different pool of resources. His previous experience is really pretty much irrelevant.

What the hell does this have to do with anything?

I still believe AGon and Fielder would be bad moves...but that's more about their extensions that we would need to sign than anything else.

And who said anything about getting immediate impact from SS...yes, I wanted hardy and still do but ultimately, what i want is for him to go out and find someone that can hold down the position and be league average or better for a while...He can't even do that.

I'm trying to figure out what impact move should have been made before now. That's all. And if you're not saying it should have been done before now, but instead your apoplexy is based on your assumption that future moves won't happen, I'm not sure I understand completely. (I'm slow that way.)

I thought for a while your big issue was that he should be packaging something to get back a SS - but that certainly wouldn't have helped this season (though Hardy would be an upgrade over Izturis - so far).

So, with this collapse having driven you to the point of spasms of fury, what exactly is your anger based on?

And there is nothing in his history that is relevant to the task he has of trying to build up the Orioles.

He may sign guys to huge contracts. He may shy away from anything over $5M per year. Nothing he's done in his past is of any relevance to his current job. I don't think he's gonna be great because he's built WS contenders before, and I don't think he's gonna suck because he hasn't given out huge FA deals before. I think he's going to approach this job differently because its a completely different job.

Any speculation as to what he will or will not do is simply that, speculation. The fact that he hasn't signed any big time FAs is just as irrelevant to the question of whether he will or will not sign big time FAs here as the fact that he's built two WS teams in the past is to whether or not he can build us into a WS team. Different teams, different mountains to climb, different pool of resources. His previous experience is really pretty much irrelevant.

Its not irrelevant because he has certain values and principles that he believes in..Certain things that he believes will work, no matter what division he is in.

Its not irrelevant because he has certain values and principles that he believes in..Certain things that he believes will work, no matter what division he is in.
He does? Where has he said that?

I've heard him say he has certain beliefs about what the only way he can build this team into a winner are. That I've heard him say. But I've never heard him say he has certain beliefs that transcend any and all financial situations of a team or the financial situations of their competition.

I'm trying to figure out what impact move should have been made before now. That's all. And if you're not saying it should have been done before now, but instead your apoplexy is based on your assumption that future moves won't happen, I'm not sure I understand completely. (I'm slow that way.)

I thought for a while your big issue was that he should be packaging something to get back a SS - but that certainly wouldn't have helped this season (though Hardy would be an upgrade over Izturis - so far).

So, with this collapse having driven you to the point of spasms of fury, what exactly is your anger based on?

No offense but how stupid are you?

Its pretty f'ing clear what my point is...I am getting SICK AND TIRED OF HIS TALKING.

I want him to improve this damn team.

His offseason was pathetic...For a guy that said(again, talk, no actions) that wins and losses matter, he had a horrific offseason.

So, i want him to start doing something to actuall improve this team...i don't need to hear him placate the fans and say a bunch of bs that a a 5 year blind monkey can figure out.

Maybe you need him to stroke you with his words...Maybe VaTech needs that too.

I am done listening to this garbage...I want results.

Its been obvious over the last few days, with the Crow stuff, that results don't matter to you...Well, they matter to me and that's what i want to see.

So, AM..SHUT UP and do your damn job...IE, improving this team and getting it out of laughing stock territory.

I would rather him turn into a shut-in than have to listen to this garbage.

He does? Where has he said that?

I've heard him say he has certain beliefs about what the only way he can build this team into a winner are. That I've heard him say. But I've never heard him say he has certain beliefs that transcend any and all financial situations of a team or the financial situations of their competition.

Do you think he will sign a pitcher to a big, long term contract? Why or why not?

I appreciate what he said. He was honest and upfront. Does anyone think Beattie and/or Flanagan would have come out and said anything like that?

No, but that's more because neither one of them could have figured out how to upload the video to youtube.

Archived