MacPhail to release web video for fans tomorrow

Slappy

I agree that is the logic...But when talking about how poor the offense is, I think it is right to point out any regular who has a sub 600 OPS.

I agree - remember, I wanted Hardy, too. I think the nature of the video, however, was talking about ways the offense can get better, and why it needs to. The sad fact is, no one expects Izzy to improve much.

I do expect his defense to get better as the weather warms, though, like last year.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That may be the case. It wasn't the point that we were talking about, however.

If it is the case, I disagree with him- in the long term. Though I'm not sure what pointing Izturis out would accomplish.

I would disagree as well. However, I'd guess that it means he simply isn't expecting much offense out of our current SS which I now see you basically later sad.

This guy is only 3 years into the plan, and no one could have expected a start like this. You do not throw out the whole plan just because of the start.

Right now he has to stick with the plan. He can not go and trade any of the young arms because we don't know yet which ones will work out. He will also have a better idea at the end of this season, if Riemold, Pie, Hernadez, Bergesen?, Berkens, and even Jones are ones that can be counted on. A 500 hundred start would have been nice, did not happen. Now it is a process of can these guys be fixed, will they be an important cog if not they will move on.

I would disagree as well. However, I'd guess that it means he simply isn't expecting much offense out of our current SS.

Exactly. I agree...

I agree - remember, I wanted Hardy, too. I think the nature of the video, however, was talking about ways the offense can get better, and why it needs to. The sad fact is, no one expects Izzy to improve much.

I do expect his defense to get better as the weather warms, though, like last year.

Now it is a process of can these guys be fixed, will they be an important cog if not they will move on.

Move on to what exactly?

We don't have anything to replace them.

If they fail, the Plan fails and there is no backup.

Move on to what exactly?

We don't have anything to replace them.

If they fail, the Plan fails and there is no backup.

That was always going to be the case. Do you think you just stumbled on some secret? And do you not realize that this would be the case even if MacPhail did it the way you wanted him to?

If all of your huge "premium" free agent signings failed, then your plan would fail. See how easy that is...

That was always going to be the case. Do you think you just stumbled on some secret? And do you not realize that this would be the case even if MacPhail did it the way you wanted him to?

If all of your huge "premium" free agent signings failed, then your plan would fail. See how easy that is...

That is far less likely than the young guys struggling like they are this season.

Hmmm... like for instance - the Mariners???

That is far less likely than the young guys struggling like they are this season.

The point has always been that even with your plan, the young guys would still need to be good.

If we had Holliday, AGon, Lackey, and Figgins right now instead of Tejada, Wigginton, Millwood, Atkins, and whoever was traded for AGon, the team wouldn't really be better off now, and the young guys would still have to develop well as a group for the team to contend going forward.

Yep, because long term big money free agent contracts for "premium" players almost always work out. Teams almost never regret these huge contracts. Yeah...that's the ticket.:rolleyes:

Trea likes Jack Z and the moves the Mariners made this offseason. He also likes the fact that Jack Z told the Mariner fans he is "making phone calls to improve the team." The M's play in the AL West. Their record vs teams not named the Baltimore Orioles: 9-19

Trea does not like Andy M and the moves the Orioles made this offseason - or really ever. He did not like that Andy M addressed the Oriole fans about the O's poor start. The Orioles play in the AL East. Their record vs teams not named the Mariners: 9-20

In 1982 when the Orioles got off to a horrific start of 2 - 9 with a team that was supposed to contend for the World Series, fans were distraught and Rick Dempsey spoke to the fans directly before one of the games on a radio broadcast to bolster their spirits. It was a pretty substantial address in which he described why they were going through the problems they were at that time. I remember him making the point that they had several new players on the team and they were learning to play together, and that Boston who had gotten off to a great start was "known to fade". It was a classy move by Dempsey at the time, for a player to speak so candidly directly to the fans. He showed he really cared.

McPhail's video reminds me of this, and I think it was a good one.

The point has always been that even with your plan, the young guys would still need to be good.

If we had Holliday, AGon, Lackey, and Figgins right now instead of Tejada, Wigginton, Millwood, Atkins, and whoever was traded for AGon, the team wouldn't really be better off now, and the young guys would still have to develop well as a group for the team to contend going forward.

So it seems that stating something like this is a good way to keep Trea from wanting to respond.:D I think just mentioning Figgins and Wigginton in the same post is pretty effective as well.:D

The Mariners are doing just dandy with all their big signings/moves, aren't they??

So we are happy we suck like the Mariners? I bet the Mariners put it together quicker then the O's. We have waited 13 years, so how much longer before we are respectable? We wait another three years? Five? Ten?

Archived