BA Mock Draft

I know mocks have to be taken with a grain of salt. They don't really mean anything, but I think they're fun and can be good conversation pieces.

At Baseball America, Jim Callis released his latest mock draft today. It's subscriber content, so I'll just post clips. For the full piece, click here.

1. NATIONALS: Bryce Harper.

2. PIRATES: Drew Pomeranz.

3. ORIOLES: Baltimore followed Pittsburgh's lead a year ago, choosing Matt Hobgood at No. 5 and splurging on later picks. But the Orioles are licking their chops over the no-lose situation they're in, where they'll wind up with Taillon's frontline stuff or Machado's five-tool potential at shortstop

PROJECTED PICK: Jameson Taillon.

4. ROYALS: Manny Machado.

For anyone who read the Perfect Game mock that I posted the other day, Chris Sale goes #10 to Oakland.

If anyone without a subscription has any questions about BA's mock, I'll try to help within reason.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know mocks have to be taken with a grain of salt. They don't really mean anything, but I think they're fun and can be good conversation pieces.

At Baseball America, Jim Callis released his latest mock draft today. It's subscriber content, so I'll just post clips. For the full piece, click here.

For anyone who read the Perfect Game mock that I posted the other day, Chris Sale goes #10 to Oakland.

If anyone without a subscription has any questions about BA's mock, I'll try to help within reason.

Good stuff, thats what i like to see. We need to get a premium talent at 3 and spend the money later too, since we don't have a 2nd round pick. Since we're not paying for free agents we need to do above average with the draft

Thanks. As it stands now, I think this is a very realistic scenario. Suffice it to say I'd be very pleased.

It's been discussed before, but it will obviously be very interesting to see in which direction the Orioles choose to go if Harper and Taillon go 1-2 (Machado? Pomeranz? Whitson? Colon? Cox? Mystery pick?).

I'm hoping that if Taillon falls to JJ he grabs him.

It's been discussed before, but it will obviously be very interesting to see in which direction the Orioles choose to go if Harper and Taillon go 1-2 (Machado? Pomeranz? Whitson? Colon? Cox? Mystery pick?).

Callis notes that Whitson (and Covey, too) have been sliding a little this month, so he might not be one to consider at 1:3. FWIW, Zack Cox's stock continues to rise.

Will Cox's 3B defense hold up in MLB?

Stotle seems to think so:

Cox's defense isn't mediocre. He has solid footwork, a plus arm and pretty good hands. He'll be solid average as a pro, and teams could conceivably even give him a shot to learn 2B (though I think that may be a stretch).

There's a joke to be made there, but I'm going to pass.:D

Haha, yeah, there was a random thread on the OH where you would go and find quotes from random posts that sounded bad out of context... that would be perfect for that thread :D

I tried to find that thread to link it. No luck.

Would PA not be happy with 2 straight HS pitchers?

Could he butt in here?

I sincerely doubt it. When he was butting into things before he was under the illusion that we were close to competing, or being a competitor. Now that we are no where near that point I think he leaves things to the professionals.

If he's been watching Mike Leake with Cincy, he probably isn't happy right now with one HS pitcher. I'm not.

This is not the NFL where your drafting to fill short and long term needs, most players do not reach the majors a year or two after being drafted, most take 4 to 5 years before they contribute at the major league level. Leake is the exception and not the rule here. The most major league ready pitcher this year is Pomerantz and his ceiling is a # 3 pitcher and he doesn't have much more in the way of a ceiling vs. where he is now, where as Tallion has the ceiling of a # 1 starter.

Here is my question, i keep seeing and hearing the O's linked to Tallion. I think Callis has mentioned it a few times. This is the first thing i have read about Machado. Do you guys think he is a real consideration? I know we need a SS bad but i just have not seen him linked to the O's at all. I know its a long time away but what kind of player are we talking, what is his ceiling, i think i read Jimmy Rollins was his comp.

Here is my question, i keep seeing and hearing the O's linked to Tallion. I think Callis has mentioned it a few times. This is the first thing i have read about Machado. Do you guys think he is a real consideration? I know we need a SS bad but i just have not seen him linked to the O's at all. I know its a long time away but what kind of player are we talking, what is his ceiling, i think i read Jimmy Rollins was his comp.

It's certainly not a sure thing when considering who the O's will take (or who they're linked to), but Machado is highly-rated and would be an excellent choice.

Here was my report on Machado pre-season, and I'll be updating this info very soon. Just know he has taken a big step forward this season- as hoped.

#4 Manny Machado

Shortstop, Brito HS (FL)

Born July 6, 1992> Draft Day Age=17.9

Ht/Wt... 6-2/185, Bats Right / Throws Right

Consensus Pre-season Review...

Manny Machado is a lean and athletic shortstop, hailing from Brito high school in Miami. Defensively Machado is somewhat like collegian Christian Colon, in that neither project to have great range as pro's... but both have very good instincts, are graceful in their footwork and mechanics, employ soft hands and good arms, and should be able to stick and be successful big league shortstops.

Offensively, Machado has no problem hitting a good fastball, and making strong consistent contact. He uses an open-stance and while he 'wraps' his bat, he has good bat speed and leverage, with some lift in his swing. Many scouts feel he'll have solid to above-average power, and coupled with outstanding defensive abilities at a prime position, Machado could vault into the Top 10 of the coming draft.

--Greg Pappas

Archived