Billy Rowell (1st hand look)

NickStckMattBat

I wonder if baseball should put top draft choices through an agility test like they do for the NFL. You'd get a better idea, I bet, about the players potential.

I'd sure love to see a combine for baseball, so that you'll get more teams drafting guys with 40" vertical leaps and great times in the 40 over players who can, you know... play baseball.

Unfortunately I could see the O's as one of the teams who'd shy away from the baseball players.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if baseball should put top draft choices through an agility test like they do for the NFL. You'd get a better idea, I bet, about the players potential.

They do -- it just isn't a central location. The timing of the draft and the baseball seasons make that unrealistic. But most showcases do "tool" assessment drills. The Area Code Games utilize SPARQ testing, which is closer to the combine-esque drills (agility, vertical, strength, etc.).

Numbers updated below. 1/3 with a double today...4 walks since the last update...but the Ks dont stop pouring in...

The game I was at was May 25th... in that game (and the 14 games since), he has struck out as follows...

0 times- 1 game

1 time- 4 games

2 times- 5 games

3 times- 4 games

4 times- 1 game

He is hitting .196 in that time with 3 extra base hits, 5 runs, 5 rbis.

He has 5 walks to go with the 30 strikeouts.

The Keys are 11-5 in this period, so I do not think we can throw it on tough competition.

QUOTE]

I just ran across this today looking something else up. Check out the write up on Billy Rowell as the number 1 prospect in the organization.:eek:

Rowell’s power is still more projection than reality. That’s a testament to exactly how good he could become when you consider that he slugged .503 in his professional debut. At 6-5 and potentially still growing, Rowell is still filling out his huge frame. He has excellent bat speed and an ability to recognize pitches better than most teenagers. The Orioles believe that he is a future #3 hitter and will move quickly for a prep product.

On a side note, look how un-inspiring this list of the O's prospects are in 2007.:rolleyes:

http://orioles.scout.com/2/623930.html

I just ran across this today looking something else up. Check out the write up on Billy Rowell as the number 1 prospect in the organization.:eek:

Rowell’s power is still more projection than reality. That’s a testament to exactly how good he could become when you consider that he slugged .503 in his professional debut. At 6-5 and potentially still growing, Rowell is still filling out his huge frame. He has excellent bat speed and an ability to recognize pitches better than most teenagers. The Orioles believe that he is a future #3 hitter and will move quickly for a prep product.

On a side note, look how un-inspiring this list of the O's prospects are in 2007.:rolleyes:

http://orioles.scout.com/2/623930.html

No offense to the site or the writer, but that's exactly why you don't beleive everything you read on the internet.

I've been doing prospect evaluations for a long time and even now I sometimes get fooled by "organizational fluff" of players I haven't seen yet. That sounded like it came directly from David Stockstill.

Waaaay too often I hear things about a guy then I see him and it's not the same guy. Thankfully there are people are talk straight and they are invaluable when it comes to evaluating players I haven't seen yet.

As for Rowell, I've only seen him once this season but he looked a lot like the guy I saw before. From some of the things I heard, he still doesn't get it off the field either so don't believe the fluff piece written about him earlier in the season in the Sun. I'm pretty sure his teammates and coaches are still snickering over that piece.

Either way, he's not going to be a major leaguer and that's bad for everyone involved.

No offense to the site or the writer, but that's exactly why you don't beleive everything you read on the internet.

I've been doing prospect evaluations for a long time and even now I sometimes get fooled by "organizational fluff" of players I haven't seen yet. That sounded like it came directly from David Stockstill.

Waaaay too often I hear things about a guy then I see him and it's not the same guy. Thankfully there are people are talk straight and they are invaluable when it comes to evaluating players I haven't seen yet.

As for Rowell, I've only seen him once this season but he looked a lot like the guy I saw before. From some of the things I heard, he still doesn't get it off the field either so don't believe the fluff piece written about him earlier in the season in the Sun. I'm pretty sure his teammates and coaches are still snickering over that piece.

Either way, he's not going to be a major leaguer and that's bad for everyone involved.

Oh, I am not so sure about that Tony. With the way this team is playing this season Rowell would fit in just fine!:laughlol:;)

Archived