Stuff

bigbird

on a side note, Shea Hillebrand just got dfa'd

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=2898

According to the Toronto Star, the Jays have designated Shea Hillenbrand for assignmenent.

Hillenbrand wasn't in the dugout for tonight's game after a team meeting in which he was criticized by manager John Gibbons. "Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates," Hillenbrand said. "I'm very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional." Gibbons later entered the clubhouse during the game and informed him that he was being designated. No word yet on who will replace him on the roster, but Jason Phillips could be a possibility. Such a move would allow the Jays to give more DH time to Bengie Molina and Gregg Zaun. Eric Hinske is the biggest beneficiary of Hillenbrand's departure.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
on a side note, Shea Hillebrand just got dfa'd

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=2898

According to the Toronto Star, the Jays have designated Shea Hillenbrand for assignmenent.

Hillenbrand wasn't in the dugout for tonight's game after a team meeting in which he was criticized by manager John Gibbons. "Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates," Hillenbrand said. "I'm very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional." Gibbons later entered the clubhouse during the game and informed him that he was being designated. No word yet on who will replace him on the roster, but Jason Phillips could be a possibility. Such a move would allow the Jays to give more DH time to Bengie Molina and Gregg Zaun. Eric Hinske is the biggest beneficiary of Hillenbrand's departure.

Should be headed to Anaheim in trade.

Hey, I hope we get the guy too but I really don't see Angelos taking on that contract nor do I see Gillick doing us any favors.
Yeah, and I'm sure once the MASN sitch gets worked out, Angelos will be spending like a dad on "My Super Sweet 16".:rolleyes:

Excuses, excuses.

If they want an arm and a leg in trade, then OK, but if they're just trying to dump him and we're not all over it, I will be very angry.

Hey, I hope we get the guy too but I really don't see Angelos taking on that contract nor do I see Gillick doing us any favors.

EXACTLY - I think its about 50-50 there. Angelos has taken contracts/eaten contracts before, for the right player, but the sheer amount of money we will need to take on for Abreu is a little extreme. Plus Gillick might want to get him out of there but he isnt desperate nor stupid.

I would LOVE to have Abreu in the number 2 hole - HUGE boost and makes the 2007 team look a lot better.

I mean I seriously think there is a lot more to this deal than we know - RLo for Abreu, even with the contract seems too good to be true

Just spoke to my contact. He said it's busy as all get out. Flanny and Duquette have their ears glued to their cells. He still thinks there will be a number of moves by the 31st. Recap of some things he said:

Don't look for a trade for Abreu. He wants the option picked up and we think we can address 2 needs for his salary.

Penn will not be called up until Lopez is traded. (Arizona or Texas?)

Scouting Shealy and still a chance he's acquired

Hawkins is generating a lot of interest and he too will be gone before the 31st.

Good chance Millar stays.

Will see some sort of bullpen shake up at the deadline

No interest in Hillenbrand

Some interest in Mench

He'll call if he hears anything concrete. Need to see if Belkast has heard anything from his contact

WHAT!?!?!?! What does Penn have to do with Rodrigo. Does that mean they think Ortiz is still worthy of a spot in the rotation? If so, thats madness. I can't believe they would keep Penn in the minors and keep sending Ortiz out there if they can't get Rodrigo traded.

Everything else sounds good, trading for Shealy would be great. I just saw he had a good outing today. If Colorado falls out of playoff contention, I wouldn't mind giving up Olsen for Shealy. Odds are one of Erbe, Olsen, Liz are going to be expendable in the next year or two anyway. Assuming Bedard, Cabrera, Penn & Loewen account for most of our rotation.

Just saw this online.....from David Justice and his take on who will maybe go where. He includes Benson and Tejada, but his comments really mock the Orioles FO and the organization.

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/15-players-all-the-rage-before-trade/20060718162609990001

David Justice is the ex-Mr. Halle Berry. This was by Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle.

Great posts all around, bb - even providing some ESPN commentary to justify your opinion. Abreau would be overpaid by about $15M over the three years if we had to pick up his option. He would not get Carlos Lee $ as a FA - he would get a little less. I do not see why people criticize not offering up garbage for Abreau when Gillick is to eager to give him up for garbage.

I'd like Abreau in the lineup, but I am frightened by the potential decline of the elder statesmen on the team - Abreau, Mora and Tejada by 2009. Putting so much payroll in older players could lead to disastrous results.

Seems like nothing being talked by Bigbird about is remotely significant, mostly internal shuffling.This team will not really get better just doing that.

I've said before that, it they don't do anything now, don't hold your breath for the off season. If you honestly think they're saving their money to make a big play for Lee, Zito, Soriano, etc., email me for some great offerings in bridge deeds.

Not picking up a major impact player is a mistake. Their idea that we can "address two needs with that money" means they'll can spend it on bargain basement Conine and Millar types.Heck, they can address 4 or 5 needs with that.

Bigbird, are you saying that $70 million is all that Angelos is going to spend??

Archived