Connor Narron- 5th round- SS, C.B. Aycock HS (NC)

He had 108 PA this season. He walked 42 times. Its hard to hit .600 when you don't swing at bad pitches. That was my point. He isnt getting 500 PA in High School.

Makes no sense to me. It's easier to get 40 hits in 66 AB when you are swinging at strikes than it it to get 65 hits in 108 AB swinging at a mixture of strikes and garbage.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Makes no sense to me. It's easier to get 40 hits in 66 AB when you are swinging at strikes than it it to get 65 hits in 108 AB swinging at a mixture of strikes and garbage.

I guess I don't understand the confusion. He had 42 walks in 108 PA. He's clearly not getting strikes. I'm not suggesting that he couldn't hit .600 if he were getting strikes. I was simply saying its hard to hit .600 when you have a good eye, and you get walked in 40% of your PA.

The original post I quoted seemed shocked he was only hitting .317 and was the number 2 hitter in his state. I was simply stating that its hard to bat .600 like a lot of high school stars, when you are not getting strikes, and you take that many walks.

It would be more meaningful if it was against college competition. You see an awful lot of pitchers who don't really throw strikes in high school.

Frobby is right on here. Can't really take anything from this other than he was by far and away the best bat in his HS lineup and didn't get anything to hit.

He seems that he has a frame that can fill out pretty well, do you think a move to 3B/2B is in his future? Also is this a guy that we are going to have to wait until the deadline to sign or can we get him in a jersey soon?

Also I love the pick, high potential pick, great plate discipline so he will be able to keep up with minor league pitchers. I like what Jordan is doing with the draft so far.

Sounds like we should be able to get a deal completed with Narron.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/146003201

"I'm hoping to sign," Narron said in a telephone interview Tuesday afternoon. The son of former major league player and manager Jerry Narron, the younger Narron said his final decision depends on what the Orioles will offer.

"It's a great opportunity," he said. "The Orioles are a really nice franchise and a storied franchise. I'm hoping to get them back on top again."

Narron, the second high school player from North Carolina to be taken, said he thought he might get drafted earlier but added: "I'm happy with the Orioles."

Love this quote even more.

Not surprising. Figured if BAL was grabbing him they had some sort of in. A lot of areas guys weren't touching him.

Weren't touching him due to signability? I'm having a tough time determining the caliber of prospect were getting here.

Touche'. If a batter has such a good eye he should be able to hit too because his strike zone is so small. If one studies the MLB players who work the count the best they are usually the better hitters by far because their pitch selection is so good.

It's nice to have a good eye when it comes to plate discipline, but the player has to be able to hit too. If he walked 40 times and batted .450 I'd be more impressed. It's high school. I can't see how one can extrapolate a .317 HS hitter into even a .300 A ball hitter. It's a stretch.

Touche'. If a batter has such a good eye he should be able to hit too because his strike zone is so small. If one studies the MLB players who work the count the best they are usually the better hitters by far because their pitch selection is so good.

It's nice to have a good eye when it comes to plate discipline, but the player has to be able to hit too. If he walked 40 times and batted .450 I'd be more impressed. It's high school. I can't see how one can extrapolate a .317 HS hitter into even a .300 A ball hitter. It's a stretch.

I can't see how anyone can extrapolate a .317 HS hitter into anything going by stats alone.

Like you said, it's high school.

The stats are incredibly unreliable. I've made this point before, but HS players are largely in the realm of traditional scouting. Most attempts at projecting players based on HS stats will fail.

I can't see how anyone can extrapolate a .317 HS hitter into anything going by stats alone.

Like you said, it's high school.

The stats are incredibly unreliable. I've made this point before, but HS players are largely in the realm of traditional scouting. Most attempts at projecting players based on HS stats will fail.

Ah, but projecting unfounded pessimism among posters is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Archived