Pirates sign 6 Dominicans

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The signing period just started last Friday. We just got done an important holiday weekend. Most premiere talent takes longer to sign. The Orioles rarely report their Dominican signings.

This is curious. Why not announce them? I remember last year we found out after the fact about a handful of signings. Is there a reason or is it just inattention?

This is curious. Why not announce them? I remember last year we found out after the fact about a handful of signings. Is there a reason or is it just inattention?

We rarely sign any Dominican talent of even moderate expense, so it's not really worth announcing. Most fans have not heard of any of these guys, and the most obsessed fans will only know maybe the top 10-20 names they saw at ESPN or Baseball America. A few may know the top 50 or so guys. We haven't signed any of those players in the past.

We rarely sign any Dominican talent of even moderate expense, so it's not really worth announcing. Most fans have not heard of any of these guys, and the most obsessed fans will only know maybe the top 10-20 names they saw at ESPN or Baseball America. A few may know the top 50 or so guys. We haven't signed any of those players in the past.

I've been told by posters here that BAL is actually the smart organization for ignoring the top guys -- bad investments.

I've been told by posters here that BAL is actually the smart organization for ignoring the top guys -- bad investments.
I don't think this is exactly what people have said.

What I've said at least, is that you don't know if the higher priced guys are really a better investment than signing many more of the lower priced guys.

Of course, not signing any high-priced or low-priced guys doesn't seem like a plan that will be very effective, either.

Truthfully, I don't think any of us really know what the smart play is. But we do know whatever we're doing isn't working.

Truthfully, I don't think any of us really know what the smart play is. But we do know whatever we're doing isn't working.

Think that is what we all agree on! Or hopefully the other side agrees on that.

Right. Sorry, I re-read what I wrote and realize that came off as smart-assed. I was honestly trying to say that I have not seriously looked into the full spectrum of players signed vs. how they turn out (both by dollar and risk profile) so I don't have a clue. But I recall posters saying that the top tier guys are not good investments for a multitude of reasons (including age issues, steroids, and over-hypedness). I cannot confirm either way if these claims are true, but I've read them.

Agreed that at least I, myself, have no real idea of what the best utilization of international dollars would be. Also agree that, as far as impact talent is concerned, what BAL has done in the past does not seem to be working. I believe RZNJ has pointed to some indicators that there might be at least some tangible improvement at the DSL Level.

I don't think this is exactly what people have said.

What I've said at least, is that you don't know if the higher priced guys are really a better investment than signing many more of the lower priced guys.

Of course, not signing any high-priced or low-priced guys doesn't seem like a plan that will be very effective, either.

Right. Apologies, I wasn't trying to mischaracterize anything. See my reply post to TGO.

I'm not piggish. While a big signing would be a pick-me-up for sure, I seriously would settle for a bunch of low-cost agreements to show that they take being a player in that region seriously. As for not announcing signings, that just seems foolish. The industry certainly knows who is signing whom, so they are trying to hide it from fans. Why? Is it the previous point of why advertise they aren't doing enough or are they just seriously tone deaf? Others can answer that better than me. I am getting tired of it though when I see the Twins, Jays and Pirates playing very aggressively and we seem to be twiddling our thumbs. I would think AM et al need to recognize maintaining the loyalty of the hard-core lays a base for a better, broader fan base. In the latest ESPN ranking of all pro sports teams in US, apparently O's finished last in fan intensity and commitment. Talk about a fall from grace! And still Rome burns... (Sorry, I had to vent, even if I am not switching allegiances)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQIm-AtsXs&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQIm-AtsXs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived