USA Collegiate Nat'l Team Trials (Day 3 -- My 1st)

Just got back from the third day of the Collegiate National Team Trials for Team USA (my first day of four down here in Cary). Overall lackluster day. Couple quick notes:

• Rendon's swing is a little longer than it was in the spring -- still incredibly quick wrists. I'm sure he'll straighten it out but didn't look like self at plate against "lesser" USA pitching
  • UConn's Springer is a big, strong kid with some huge upside. Some length/holes in his swing, but when he squares the ball jumps.
  • Zach Cone (Georgia, CF) hit a couple well. He's another potential 1st Rd OF with power potential, good defense and a very strong arm.
  • Jackie Bradley Jr. (OF, South Carolina) drove one oppo that was tracked down close to the LF line. He was aggressive today against some arms that struggled to get the ball over -- jumping on pitches that caught a decent amount of the plate.
  • Mooneyham (LHP, Stanford) was down velo-wise (88-91) but was his characteristically inconsistent self. Struggled to repeat release/mechanics, fastball sailed when he reached back. Threw a couple filthy sliders in the third inning but otherwise struggled to get the pitch over.

Will be posting more detailed notes and some video at pnrscouting tomorrow. Will have daily updates the next three days and a full wrap on the trials Monday morning.

Thanks for the reports Stotle, I am sure Rendon will get his swing back together, its been a long collegiate season for him, sounds like the same problem Bryce Harper ran into last season during the Showcases due to fatigue.

Springer sounds like a definite 1st round quality bat, but I recall hearing the "one trick pony" tag thrown on him....

I have heard nothing but great stuff about Jackie Bradley Jr....

Brett Mooneyham (LHP, Stanford Univ.) last night:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSHQ-T3vRrU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSHQ-T3vRrU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm compiling hitter vids over my four days here rather than finalizing and re-finalizing. So those will be done Sunday night. I'll have vid/write-ups on each of the 22 players on the final roster, hopefully, as well as the other 17 that do not make the cut.

Archived