Wynn Pelzer

section36

Wow, this is a pretty bad trade if you ask me. Wynn Pelzer has some garbage minor league stats and he is another pitcher. We have plenty of those in the minors. For a starting thirdbasemen with Tejada's rep I would think you could have gotten more.

I rate this trade a D. And yeah, I know it opens the door for Bell but I would have hoped the Orioles would have gotten a better prospect than Pelzer./

I think everyone wants more. But Tejada just wasn't worth that much, especially considering there's over $2 million left on his contract. Looking at what Cleveland took for Peralta, we got a fair deal.

Pelzer isn't the only gain from this. We now can take that money and sign Machado. We also get a real look at Bell. If those two scenarios work out, the move is addition by subtraction.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, this is a pretty bad trade if you ask me. Wynn Pelzer has some garbage minor league stats and he is another pitcher. We have plenty of those in the minors. For a starting thirdbasemen with Tejada's rep I would think you could have gotten more.

I rate this trade a D. And yeah, I know it opens the door for Bell but I would have hoped the Orioles would have gotten a better prospect than Pelzer.

What would you expect to get for a player with a .670 OPS?

Year in Review: An athletic righty, Pelzer took a massive step forward by not only holding his own in the California League, but by dominating at times.

The Good: Pelzer has two plus power pitches, with a 91-93 mph fastball that gets up to 95 and features heavy sink, as well as a low-to-mid 80s slider with strong two-plane break. His command and control is solid. He's an intense, highly focused pitcher who is very aggressive, and his mechanics are clean.

The Bad: Pelzer has yet to show much of a changeup, as he telegraphs the pitch with visually slower arm action. His high-strung nature gets the better of him at times, as he'll overthrow his pitches and lose the strike zone.

I rate this trade a D. And yeah, I know it opens the door for Bell but I would have hoped the Orioles would have gotten a better prospect than Pelzer.[/QUOTE]

I think everyone wants more. But Tejada just wasn't worth that much, especially considering there's over $2 million left on his contract. Looking at what Cleveland took for Peralta, we got a fair deal.

Pelzer isn't the only gain from this. We now can take that money and sign Machado. We also get a real look at Bell. If those two scenarios work out, the move is addition by subtraction.

I totally forgot about the Machado part when I heard we were getting back money. Guess the MacPhail and the FO figured they'd rather get back Pelzer and cash to sign Machado and the draftees than a superior prospect and less money to sign the draftees. That's my guess anyhow. Can't wait to see how Bell fares these next two months as the regular third baseman.

Seems like this trade was a dump to get Bell playing time...

The guy we got back has Closer upside. I would say its a little more than just a dump.

Look at what he did for us this year. He was terrible. The fact we got anything back was a plus.

Year in Review: An athletic righty, Pelzer took a massive step forward by not only holding his own in the California League, but by dominating at times.

The Good: Pelzer has two plus power pitches, with a 91-93 mph fastball that gets up to 95 and features heavy sink, as well as a low-to-mid 80s slider with strong two-plane break. His command and control is solid. He's an intense, highly focused pitcher who is very aggressive, and his mechanics are clean.

The Bad: Pelzer has yet to show much of a changeup, as he telegraphs the pitch with visually slower arm action. His high-strung nature gets the better of him at times, as he'll overthrow his pitches and lose the strike zone.

To confirm...#5 in the Padres system.

Archived