Wynn Pelzer

section36

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So was this guy on the pads 40 man roster? If not are we going to have to add him in the offseason to avoid the rule 5 draft?
He is in his 3rd year in the minors, so he shouldn't be on the 40-man, but I think he has to be added this offseason. However, I don't know that another team is likely to claim the guy.

The last MLBPA, this was changed to 4 and 5 years. So, he will not have to added to the 40 man roster until the end of 2011 season.

After 4 or 5 years as a professional, a player must be added to his club’s 40-man roster or exposed to the 29 other clubs in the Rule 5 draft. (A club has 5 years to evaluate a player who signs his first pro contract at 18 years old or younger, but only 4 years to decide on a player who signs at age 19.) For purposes of calculating years as a pro, the counting begins the day a player signs his first pro contract, not the season he begins to play.

Cots

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but getting Pelzer for Tejada is a win for Baltimore.

Yes, he has command issues, but he's definitely shown some ability to throw strikes over an extended period of time. His control has really deserted him for the past two months, but his BB% in April and May as a starter were 7.1% and 6.7%, respectively. He's a guy with good stuff -- two above average to plus pitches -- who profiles best out of the bullpen. He's struggled early in his transition to the bullpen, but we're only talking about four appearances.

Someone with knowledge, who is the comparable of Pelzer in the Orioles minor league organization?

He's McCrory (the healthy version) with a slightly lower GB%. I don't agree with the Hernandez comps. DH is more of a slurvy breaking ball, rather than a power slider. Also, DH doesn't come close the Pelzer with regards to GB%.

Well, he can be our new Radhames Liz. In the very least it is nice to see us get something of value in return for an aging unproductive Tejada.
This guy screams of a poor mans Safarte.

Is anyone going to throw out a comp that isn't a FB pitcher? Do people just not pay attention to GB rate? Is that why some people are calling his stats "garbage?"

The last MLBPA, this was changed to 4 and 5 years. So, he will not have to added to the 40 man roster until the end of 2011 season.

Thanks for the correction. I'd say by the end of next year we should have a real good handle on whether he belongs on the 40-man. Heck, he could be in Baltimore by then if things go really well for him.

I'm not sure what poeple think Tejada was worth, but to get anyone with real major league ability for two months of him is a good job by MacPhail.

Bell has gotten hot and it's time to give him the last two months to see how he does at the big league level. It also gives Showalter a chance to evaluate Bell first hand.

I can't believe people are complaining about this. We traded 2 months of a 36 year old who isn't hitting worth a damn, opened up a spot for Bell, and got a guy who may have regressed a bit this year but was the #5 prospect in the Padre system.

Very happy with this deal. Now let's get a similar return for Wiggy.

He's McCrory (the healthy version) with a slightly lower GB%. I don't agree with the Hernandez comps. DH is more of a slurvy breaking ball, rather than a power slider. Also, DH doesn't come close the Pelzer with regards to GB%.

I don't see the McCrory comparison. Pelzer is a much better prospect than McCrory ever has been. Pelzer has better control and misses more bats (looking at K% and looking at how each performed from full season ball and above).

At the same levels of pro ball, Pelzer has been younger, he's played in the two most difficult environments for pitchers between the two (California and Texas League), and most importantly, Pelzer has done this as a starter. McCrory has always been a reliever and he's never been a particularly good one.

I'm not sure what poeple think Tejada was worth, but to get anyone with real major league ability for two months of him is a good job by MacPhail.

Bell has gotten hot and it's time to give him the last two months to see how he does at the big league level. It also gives Showalter a chance to evaluate Bell first hand.

Absolutely. This is solid work by AM.

I can't believe people are complaining about this. We traded 2 months of a 36 year old who isn't hitting worth a damn, opened up a spot for Bell, and got a guy who may have regressed a bit this year but was the #5 prospect in the Padre system.

Exactly right. People will complain about anything, especially when they don't know what they're talking about...

Archived