O's Sign Esquivel

The only guys I am worried about that signs is Manny Machado.If we don't sign him, Joe Jordan deserves to be fired.I do like the Esquivel signing from how he compares to Garcia but know nothing about the other guy.

Unless your argument is that Jordan should have selected someone more signable with our 1st pick, you're pointing a finger at the wrong guy. If we don't sign Machado it will be because Angelos wouldn't fork up the money necessary, not because Jordan didn't do his job.

The only guys I am worried about that signs is Manny Machado.If we don't sign him, Joe Jordan deserves to be fired.I do like the Esquivel signing from how he compares to Garcia but know nothing about the other guy.

You clearly don't understand how things work if you think Jordan should be fired if Machado doesn't sign.

Sounds like JJ received a number from Esquivel earlier this summer that he intended to meet all along .... but like last year has used these HS options (and the media) as leverage with the college guys.

One has to like the potential of Esquivel. We should steal all the Rice recruits we can.

Hard to believe it was only $225k. I'd sign five guys like Esquivel every year if possible.

I noticed Melewski replied to one of the posters who asked about Urban saying that he thinks we get him, too.

Good news.

That's not a great characterization of his view. The direct quote from Melewski is:

"I think there is still a chance they get Urban. That will likely not be decided until sometime on Monday. - Steve"

I hope we get him, but doesn't sound like it's anywhere near a sure thing at this point.

Sounds like JJ received a number from Esquivel earlier this summer that he intended to meet all along .... but like last year has used these HS options (and the media) as leverage with the college guys.

One has to like the potential of Esquivel. We should steal all the Rice recruits we can.

Hard to believe it was only $225k. I'd sign five guys like Esquivel every year if possible.

He should be a better prospect than Urban to be honest. I am unsure how the scouting community feels, but Esquivel is projectable, has a good FB already for his age and flashes a plus curve. Urban I believe is less projectable, throws about the same velo, but lacks the curveball that Esquivel has....

That's not a great characterization of his view. The direct quote from Melewski is:

"I think there is still a chance they get Urban. That will likely not be decided until sometime on Monday. - Steve"

I hope we get him, but doesn't sound like it's anywhere near a sure thing at this point.

How's what clapdiddy said anything different? He said Melewski thinks we get Urban.

How's what clapdiddy said anything different? He said Melewski thinks we get Urban.

Uh...saying he thinks we gets him is clearly quite different than saying there is still a chance we get him...

What clapdiddy said implies that Melewski thinks there's a >50% chance we sign him, when in reality Melewski is just saying that the chance is >0.

Uh...saying he thinks we gets him is clearly quite different than saying there is still a chance we get him...

What clapdiddy said implies that Melewski thinks there's a >50% chance we sign him, when in reality Melewski is just saying that the chance is >0.

Well, he obviously must be hearing something positive, or he likely would have said something along the lines that he hadn't heard a lot about his negotiations. I took it as a positive sign, but who knows?

Archived