Strasburg likely needs Tommy John surgery

paulcoates

So, when he gets back to pitching is he going to throw like 103mph?

If the myth that TJ sometimes adds a few mph to some guys FB is true this could be interesting. ;)

Its not a myth. Some guys throw harder after the TJ. Some guys don't.

I can't imagine Strasburg being one of the guys that throws harder, considering how hard he already throws. Wouldn't surprise me too much if he doesn't lose any velocity though and still throws way upper 90s once he's back. Losing a few ticks on the fastball won't significantly lower his ceiling anyway.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its a good thing this happened to the Nationals and not a team like the Pirates or us who have actual, real fans that have been following the team for years. Could you imagine how awful it would be if Strasburg was our guy, finally the savior to answer for 13 years of losing and 25 years of general crapitude and he has to get TJ after 12 starts?

I think the entire fanbase may have to be on suicide watch. Fortunately the Nats don't have any real fans that would care that much or have that much invested in the team yet.

What's the equivalent for us? Wieters gets Conigliaroed?

Actually, I don't even want to go down that road *shudders*

The Orioles fan in me says, "Hah! Suck it, Natinals!" The baseball fan in me, however, is devastated.

And no way he pitches next season. Absolute best case is 12 months; if he is cleared for competition that soon I would just option him to the minors for essentially an extended rehab stint. And 18 months is still February 2012; either way, barring something changing, he'll be starting Opening Day 2012.

The equivalent for us would have been if Wieters hit the Grand Slam among 2 HRs during that debut against the Tigers last year, then proceeded to hit .310 with 18 home runs and a .950 OPS over about 300 PAs and then broke his femur Jason Kendall style.

Sad story. I wish I had waited until tomorrow to read this story. My ESP has happened again. Before he was drafted I said to friends nobody throws this hard 100+ for any length of time without breaking down. I had no idea he would break down this fast. Maybe two years from now but not in his first ML season. I would not have drafted him. This isn't a hind sight reply and it's why I agree with those that don't want to pay more than $10 million for a starting pitcher on a multi-year contract. Hitters don't break down as often and are a safer gamble than a pitcher. Let's hope Buck can influence PA (The Boss) to buy the bats this off season. I like the Konerko (24 doubles, 31 HR'S, 88 RBI'S and a .315BA) and Dunn ( 31 doubles, 31 HR'S, 79 RBI'S and a .260 BA) combination or Konerko and maybe Beltre (37 Doubles, 23 HR's, 87 RBI'S and a .324 BA).

I hope Strasburg has a complete recovery and is able to throw in the high 90's again. I really don't want to believe this story. I actually feel sick. Tell me it's a bad dream.

Well I hope Dibble feels bad now. I mean, that guy was bragging on how he pitched through pain...I can't believe that idiot didn't learn what that got him. He's Kenny Powers.

Sad for Strasburg....good dude, great pitcher....I'm not a huge Nats fan but they are in my backyard and it's been great to see what he's done for this town and the interest in the Nats. Anytime that something can take this towns focus off politics, that's a good thing.

The Orioles fan in me says, "Hah! Suck it, Natinals!" The baseball fan in me, however, is devastated.

And no way he pitches next season. Absolute best case is 12 months; if he is cleared for competition that soon I would just option him to the minors for essentially an extended rehab stint. And 18 months is still February 2012; either way, barring something changing, he'll be starting Opening Day 2012.

Yeah, I think best case might be the Jordan Zimmermann route which was surgery in July and back throwing again the next July. Strasburg throws harder though so you'll want to take his rehab slower, I'd say absolute best case is he is ready to throw in the AFL next year to get a couple innings in and then be ready for the following ST.

Archived