Good God, the Whining Is Intolerable

peter snees

I know most of you wanted something to happen, but it didn't, and that's because the front office was dealing with all the possible scenarios regarding Miggy. Do we have to be a bunch of toddlers with Teletubbies-length attention spans about it? The team is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Next spring, here are the people who could be fighting for spots in the rotation: Bedard, Benson, Cabrera, Chen, Liz, Loewen, Lopez, Penn. If they don't start, they strenghten the pen. Hoey could own a spot in the bullpen. Reimold, a disappointment with his +.800 OPS, could be a contender for a bench slot.

Meanwhile, our staring lineup will include Roberts, Mora, Tejada, Patterson, Hernandez, Gibbons, Markakis. Throw in a couple of guys who can hit .250, and we look at least as good as the '83 Birds. Lenn Sakata, anyone?

It all comes down to the pitching. If four or five of those eight can pitch well, then we're in the hunt. That's a far cry from this year, when we needed every one of our starters to perform at max ability to see .500.

I do think we could use a big bat, but I don't think it's vital. The pieces are in place for us to do what the Tigers are doing this year. A big bat would help, but I don't really think it's vital. Am I missing something here?

All the moaning about the front office ignores the fact that the front office has stockpiled a huge amount of pitching talent and has added a bunch of hitting possibles to the organization. I think some people here would rather complain than admit that the FO is finally geting it right.

Yes, Angelos is a terrible owner, but I think the front office has figured things out.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know most of you wanted something to happen, but it didn't, and that's because the front office was dealing with all the possible scenarios regarding Miggy. Do we have to be a bunch of toddlers with Teletubbies-length attention spans about it? The team is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Next spring, here are the people who could be fighting for spots in the rotation: Bedard, Benson, Cabrera, Chen, Liz, Loewen, Lopez, Penn. If they don't start, they strenghten the pen. Hoey could own a spot in the bullpen. Reimold, a disappointment with his +.800 OPS, could be a contender for a bench slot.

Meanwhile, our staring lineup will include Roberts, Mora, Tejada, Patterson, Hernandez, Gibbons, Markakis. Throw in a couple of guys who can hit .250, and we look at least as good as the '83 Birds. Lenn Sakata, anyone?

It all comes down to the pitching. If four or five of those eight can pitch well, then we're in the hunt. That's a far cry from this year, when we needed every one of our starters to perform at max ability to see .500.

I do think we could use a big bat, but I don't think it's vital. The pieces are in place for us to do what the Tigers are doing this year. A big bat would help, but I don't really think it's vital. Am I missing something here?

All the moaning about the front office ignores the fact that the front office has stockpiled a huge amount of pitching talent and has added a bunch of hitting possibles to the organization. I think some people here would rather complain than admit that the FO is finally geting it right.

Yes, Angelos is a terrible owner, but I think the front office has figured things out.

100% agree.

Not sure I agree about the need for a big bat and my prognosis would not be quite as rosey as yours, but I like you am so sick of the pre pubescent whining.

Let's see where you're wrong:

I know most of you wanted something to happen, but it didn't, and that's because the front office was dealing with all the possible scenarios regarding Miggy.

Its amazing how we have twice the amount of GMs as normal, functioning teams, yet we somehow get less done.

The team is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly.

Are they on the 50 year plan or something?

Next spring, here are the people who could be fighting for spots in the rotation:

This should be good, let's hear it.

Bedard

Fine.

Benson

Fine, but doubtful if he's here beyond next season.

Cabrera

The same Cabrera who's struggling with his control in AAA? This is supposed to make me excited?!

Chen

We are in BAD shape if Chen if up for a rotation spot. Maybe he'll win a game this year first.

Liz

The last guy we bounced up from AA didn't work out too hot.

Loewen

Fine, but he's still yet to put together a start beyond "that was ok".

Lopez

This is supposed to make me excited about next year!?! Another year of Rodrigo Lopez?! A guy we should have traded!? Wooohooo maybe next year his ERA will be less then 6.00.

Penn.

Fine. Although you're making assumptions about a guy who hasn't been called up yet. You never know.

Reimold, a disappointment with his +.800 OPS, could be a contender for a bench slot.

Why would we want this? He needs to be in the minors and get better. At least you didn't suggest him as our OD LF.

We have this EXACT lineup right now, and we are significantly worse then the 83 birds. We are contending for last place. How exactly is this a succesful formula!?!

It all comes down to the pitching. If four or five of those eight can pitch well, then we're in the hunt.

Great, and we see this year how you don't count your chickens. Loewen could regress and be back in AAA, Benson could meltdown like Rodrigo, etc. etc.

Yes, you are! The Tigers are going it mostly with pitching but their pitching was more highly touted then ours (Verlander, Bonderman, etc.) and their lineup aint exactly chopped liver. They signed Irod to a big contract. They signed Magglio to a big contract. They're not getting by on the Jeff Conine's and Kevin Millar's of the world.

All the moaning about the front office ignores the fact that the front office has stockpiled a huge amount of pitching talent and has added a bunch of hitting possibles to the organization.

WHAT?! What hitting possibles!? Which ones? Where are they!?! We have a whole lot of pitching prospects but exactly one has panned out thus far.

I think some people here would rather complain than admit that the FO is finally geting it right.

There is ZERO excuse for the FO not have made moves to improve us for the future and traded the Rodrigos and Conines and Javys.

They sure did a sh***ty job of "figuring him out" when he vetoed like every trade they had done for Tejada.

Whining? Please tell me how to constructively criticize the front office / ownership? Or are you going to insist that fighting it out with the hapless Devil Rays for 4th place is something to be content with?

It's not whining to say that:

#1) this is a 4th/5th place team

#2) There are some players who have no future and could have been traded for players who MIGHT help.

#3) The farm system is better, but not one that can be relied upon to bring enough talent to the majors fast enough to blend with the quality vets in their prime that are here. Look how long it's taking for Bedard. We have to be that patient with all propspects. Guys like Markakis and Penn probably won't be impact players until 2008. Then Tejada and Mora are on the decline. It's called zero sum gain. AKA treading water.

This isn't whining...it's realism.

Great post, I'm sick of the whining as well

Bolded quote> Who? :D Do you mean Hernandez and Patterson, or our rookie level hitters? Reimold is not coming here to ride the bench and he will be better served trying to figure out A ball before the day comes he's an Oriole.

Peter, you are missing something here. How many times must you hear from valid media sources that the O's continue to be dysfunctional? The deadline passed and we did NOTHING! Nothing! People would rather not complain, we'd rather applaud the quality trades and roster management of the FO. But... we cannot do so, because as always we are let down by a FO with little to no vision. I do think we will be a better team next year for a couple of reasons. a) Markakis and Gibbons having full seasons and b) Our young pitchers continue to develop. Unless a Lee or Soriano or Babe Ruth is an Oriole next year, we will finish 3rd or 4th, with a shot at 5th. You said throw in a couple .250 hitters with the other starters and we'll be fine? We have those already... Millar/Conine etc.

I am not saying that everything they do is wrong, but bedsides doing a few things right, what have they done to give you the impression that they have things figured out? Whining? I'd call it valid disgust with the continuous ineptness of a once-proud franchise. Peter's fault? Likely, very likely. Regardless, I want the shameful situation to end and anyone who year after year thinks we are going in the same right direction, is wearing orange-colored glasses. And something tells me that's just how Peter likes it.

Whining? Please tell me how to constructively criticize the front office / ownership? Or are you going to insist that fighting it out with the hapless Devil Rays for 4th place is something to be content with?

It's not whining to say that:

#1) this is a 4th/5th place team

#2) There are some players who have no future and could have been traded for players who MIGHT help.

#3) The farm system is better, but not one that can be relied upon to bring enough talent to the majors fast enough to blend with the quality vets in their prime that are here. Look how long it's taking for Bedard. We have to be that patient with all propspects. Guys like Markakis and Penn probably won't be impact players until 2008. Then Tejada and Mora are on the decline. It's called zero sum gain. AKA treading water.

This isn't whining...it's realism.

It's Whining........

Whining that the players suck, the front office sucks and the owner sucks.

I want as much as any O's fan to see this team win more games, but calling the organization inept and billboards demanding the owner to sell the team makes the fans look even more sad than the team does.

I often wonder why so many of the constant complainers don't find another team to root for.....and get all of us out of thier misery.

Constructive criticism? NOT!!! Inconstructive Complaining!

Do you really think the front office wasn't trying to move those players with no future, or that you are the only ones that know they have no future? Maybe the folks on the other end of the deals also knew these players have no future? Sure, our FO can force them to give us thier players that will help for players our players with no future. And if they can't, they are inept?

Now we can see into the future and know that Markakis and Penn and Lowen will not reach any real potential intil 2008? Please, where is your crystal ball and why don't you use it to make enough money to buy the team from Angelo's?

If they had gotten it right, Conine, Rodrigo, & Co. would be gone. They are not part of our future, and teams got solid talent for lesser players than them. People complain because this franchise has become the laughing stock of baseball. And, if you don't believe that, read an article in the Sports section of papers from Houston to LA. It's not only that no deals were comitted, it's how they seemed to fall through. Yet another GM (Houston) said he will not deal with us because of how negotians were handled. I'm not complaining because Miggy was not dealt. But, the fact that the FO admittedly was so focused on this "deal" that they couldn't get anything else done is a joke. 2 GMs can multi-task? It just seems to be another example of imcompetance. Unfortunately, you have bought into the tried and true "we're almost there with what we have" message that has led us to 9 losing seasons. Who knows, maybe this crew will develop into Ainsworth, Maine, and Damian Moss. Those 3 along with Bedard, and playoffs here we come. There are no sure things, and any time you can add more depth to your minor leagues, you have to do it. And we just watched this chance go by with a thumbs up our...

Good post Pete

I don't agree that we doing very well in the FO.

Moving in the right direction too slowly is moving wrongly. As rlilga said, it's treading water.

I do agree completely that this team's primary problem is pitching, not our lineup (which is what all of the trade talks were about). I know we have a lot of weight in Javy and Millar etc but we need to obtain an solid big name ace. Lowen, Cabrera, Penn may end up being great role players in the rotation but they won't be our ace any time soon.

Even Jim Palmer who was ace of the club for decades was successful in a rotation where he wasn't an ace for several years. We don't have any veteran pitchers like Shilling or Clemens or Johnson to be the ace on a staff of rookies. Bedard might become an ace one day but we'd better not make him one soon. He's so young still

O's fans have every right to be upset today. The FO/Owner knew what they had to do and they didn't do A THING to prepare this team for the future.

Now excuse me while I grade the O's like the teacher did in Ralphie's dream in A Christmas Story...

F- F- F- F- F- F- F-

Do you really think the front office wasn't trying to move those players with no future, or that you are the only ones that know they have no future? Maybe the folks on the other end of the deals also knew these players have no future? Sure, our FO can force them to give us thier players that will help for players our players with no future. And if they can't, they are inept?

I guess I really don't care if they tried. People who continually "try" at their job and accomplish nothing have a name. Unemployed.

Other GMs managed to move players with no futures for talent that I wish we had. Kyle Loshe (ERA >7), Robert Hernandez (Age: 72), Oliver Perez (walks more batters than D-cab), Eduardo Perez (comparable to Conine) all found new homes. And, in return their teams got solid prospects back. So, you can make excuses for the "FO that tries super hard" all you want. I guess all of the GMs that manage to move their non-existent talent for players that will help have some sort of super power.

Archived