Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

God I hate this time of year.

Let's tell the truth: almost nothing definitive is going to happen for a while. The deadline for teams to offer arbitration to their former players who are free agents doesn't arrive until December 1, and the winter meetings aren't until December 7-10. There may be some discussions before then with Type B FA's or a few Type A's who are obviously going to be offered arbitration, but I'd be surprised if more than a handful of deals happen throughout MLB before December 1. But I'm sure I'm going to read dozens of posts like the one above on a daily basis between now and then.

I wasn't necessarily talking about discussions of potential deals, I was talking about any mention of the Orioles. It's like we're on the far fringe of the baseball universe...out of sight, and out of mind.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God I hate this time of year.

Let's tell the truth: almost nothing definitive is going to happen for a while. The deadline for teams to offer arbitration to their former players who are free agents doesn't arrive until December 1, and the winter meetings aren't until December 7-10. There may be some discussions before then with Type B FA's or a few Type A's who are obviously going to be offered arbitration, but I'd be surprised if more than a handful of deals happen throughout MLB before December 1. But I'm sure I'm going to read dozens of posts like the one above on a daily basis between now and then.

Two key FA are Beltre and Werth. Both Boras clients, so you can expect the usual song and dance from him, dragging on and trying to get every team involved in the bidding. Beltre especially, since the O's have an interest, and Boras will be looking for a third team to up the bidding between Boston and LAAA. If AM should be aggressive, it should be with D.Lee. He needs to after him from the get go and be prepaired to offer a two year deal if he wants him.

I see a ton of people on here wanting Dunn. I don't understand why there isn't more of a movement to get Konerko. This guy puts up great #'s every year, plays a solid 1b and will DH if you need him to. No brainer to me.

Why I think Dunn is vastly superior to Konerko. Replete with statistical evidence.

Great numbers every year? Are you sure about that? He was great last year, but was pretty mediocre the 3 years previous.

Konerko is the definition of an aging stop gap who is highly unlikely to be anything close to his 2010 output.

The O's have to be more aggressive, It looks like alot of teams will be aggressive and Baltimore is not a desirable place to play. I am less optimistic then I was a week ago. We may sign the usual past prime players. The O's still seem to be bargain shopping.Texas has raised their budget. Does anyone know what the O's are trying to do? I see Washington being more aggressive then the O's,

The O's have to be more aggressive, It looks like alot of teams will be aggressive and Baltimore is not a desirable place to play. I am less optimistic then I was a week ago. We may sign the usual past prime players. The O's still seem to be bargain shopping.Texas has raised their budget. Does anyone know what the O's are trying to do? I see Washington being more aggressive then the O's,

Answer this question first (anyone, take a shot, but especially those who subscribe to the above):

Think of all the free agents of the past decade who have signed 4+ year deals. Now tell me which you would consider good signings in retrospect, after applying a hypothetical 10% "playing for the Orioles" bonus to the annual salary.

For the record the Nats are consistently more aggressive then the O's. Not saying I approve of most of their moves but they are aggressive.

I just wish that when certain teams financials got leaked earlier this year that the O's had been among them.

For the record the Nats are consistently more aggressive then the O's. Not saying I approve of most of their moves but they are aggressive.

I just wish that when certain teams financials got leaked earlier this year that the O's had been among them.

You know, Angelos has done a lot, and I mean A LOT, of things over the years to be bashed for, but for some reason I really don't think that an 80 year old man is being stingy with his money. I think a lot of the decisions to not sign the "premium" players come straight from MacPhail. I am sure the Orioles franchise is making good money, and I'm sure that doesn't bother Angelos, but I also don't think that making a profit is his main objective.

Answer this question first (anyone, take a shot, but especially those who subscribe to the above):

Think of all the free agents of the past decade who have signed 4+ year deals. Now tell me which you would consider good signings in retrospect, after applying a hypothetical 10% "playing for the Orioles" bonus to the annual salary.

So we never sign anyone? Do we wait for all our high draft picks to get better? International scouting is going fine. 13 losing seasons and counting,

The O's are pretty irrelevant even in Baltimore. They have to do something to get the few fans left excited.

So we never sign anyone? Do we wait for all our high draft picks to get better? International scouting is going fine. 13 losing seasons and counting,

The O's are pretty irrelevant even in Baltimore. They have to do something to get the few fans left excited.

I say hire Alyssa Milano for third base coach!!! Everybody would want to score then! :clap3:

I say hire Alyssa Milano for third base coach!!! Everybody would want to score then! :clap3:

Hey-ohh!

But no seriously,

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that the O's have talked to "a wide variety" of free agents already.

Not that it necessarily means anything, but thought I'd throw it in there.

It wouldn't have told you much, because MASN, heing a separate corporation, would not have factored in to that P&L statement.

The real puzzle is how much profit MASN is generating and how much of said profit is being applied to payroll, or could potentially be.

You know, Angelos has done a lot, and I mean A LOT, of things over the years to be bashed for, but for some reason I really don't think that an 80 year old man is being stingy with his money. I think a lot of the decisions to not sign the "premium" players come straight from MacPhail. I am sure the Orioles franchise is making good money, and I'm sure that doesn't bother Angelos, but I also don't think that making a profit is his main objective.

I would love to agree with you Dip, but the O's payroll has gone down while MASN has been raking in forced subscription fees the last few years. AM was crying poor when he traded Bradford to the Rays and I do not see where a "lot" of money has been going into the draft or international facilities/signings. I know the money for those things have gone up but not enough to account for the lower payroll and the MASN revenue.

I would be fine with not spending on free agents if the O's were making a big splash elsewhere, Koji wasn't a big splash, he was more of a ripple.

I would be shocked if the O's hadn't turned a significantly higher profit last season then they did before AM got here.

Archived