Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

Do you think it is difficult to figure out what kind of offer you could put on the table that would be a good starting point for a guy like Beltre?

For example, do you think if the Orioles offered Beltre a 4/44 deal would be some crazy, out of this world offer? Do you think that teams would look at that offer and say boy, are the Orioles insane for offering that?

If it comes out tomorrow that Atlanta will not offer DLee arbtiration and the Orioles call up Lee and offer him a 1/7 deal, do you think that is an insane beginning offer?

What difference does it make, either right this second or moving forward, whether the Orioles offer Beltre 4/44 (or something like that) right now? He's obviously going to get a better one, that gesture on its own won't define the Orioles' offseason...

...honestly, you're that concerned about empty action for the sake of empty action?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What difference does it make, either right this second or moving forward, whether the Orioles offer Beltre 4/44 (or something like that) right now? He's obviously going to get a better one, that gesture on its own won't define the Orioles' offseason...

...honestly, you're that concerned about empty action for the sake of empty action?

Yes, that's exactly it..Thank you for your brilliant interpretation of what I am saying..You have really nailed it!

Do you think it is difficult to figure out what kind of offer you could put on the table that would be a good starting point for a guy like Beltre?

For example, do you think if the Orioles offered Beltre a 4/44 deal would be some crazy, out of this world offer? Do you think that teams would look at that offer and say boy, are the Orioles insane for offering that?

If it comes out tomorrow that Atlanta will not offer DLee arbtiration and the Orioles call up Lee and offer him a 1/7 deal, do you think that is an insane beginning offer?

Even if it came out Atlanta wasn't planning on offering arbitraion, the Orioles still have to wait for the arbitration deadline to pass to sign him.

Yes, that's exactly it..Thank you for your brilliant interpretation of what I am saying..You have really nailed it!

You're essentially lashing out at nothing because you want the O's to "be aggressive"...and the offer you suggested as being indicative of aggressiveness is obviously, absurdly low.

What is your point, exactly, if you're not advocating what boils down to an empty gesture?

After getting on my case about not answering on of his questions, he doesn't answer one of mine. Go figure.

What question? Seems to me that I have answered all of your questions in this thread.

Just because I am not retyping my answer 100 times, doesn't mean I am not answering it.

What question? Seems to me that I have answered all of your questions in this thread.

Just because I am not retyping my answer 100 times, doesn't mean I am not answering it.

Your follow up question to asking posters if they think MacPhail is being aggressive on the trade market. I asked you simply what was thr point behind asking if macphail is issuing follow up calls and what not.

Your follow up question to asking posters if they think MacPhail is being aggressive on the trade market. I asked you simply what was thr point behind asking if macphail is issuing follow up calls and what not.

Umm, perhaps to acquire the players before someone else does?

To lay the proper groundwork for a future deal?

Because trades take time and you aren't likely to put one together in 5 minutes?

Cashman meeting with the #1 free agent is always going to be news. No other GM will make the headlines for meeting with Cliff Lee because ESPN's demographic doesn't particularly care, and even less about the Orioles and their management. Just because "Orioles are aggressive" and "Cashman is actually meeting people" is the difference between empty words and actual actions doesn't imply the Orioles haven't met with anyone face-to-face or don't plan to. It's just not news, it won't ever be, and you aren't ever going to hear about it whether it happens or not.

Just to bump this post to make sure certain people saw it.

I think the Orioles obviously don't want to make an offer that is so high that they could have gotten the player with a lower offer; but, they also don't want to make an initial offer that is so low that it insults the player. I remember that the Orioles' initial offer to Carlos Delgado in 2004 was pretty insulting (not on MacPhail's watch), and the offer to Vlad IMO wasn't a great conversation starter even though we had little competition at the time.

The two offers you propose seem like reasonable starting points, though the Lee offer may not garner much interest.

I think the Orioles obviously don't want to make an offer that is so high that they could have gotten the player with a lower offer; but, they also don't want to make an initial offer that is so low that it insults the player. I remember that the Orioles' initial offer to Carlos Delgado in 2004 was pretty insulting (not on MacPhail's watch), and the offer to Vlad IMO wasn't a great conversation starter even though we had little competition at the time.

The two offers you propose seem like reasonable starting points, though the Lee offer may not garner much interest.

I think its very likely that he doesn't even get 1/7 from anyone and if so, it won't be much more than that.

Everything you read and hear is that he is going to get a 1 year deal and may get 2. Its not like he is going to get 8-10 million for that one year when there are so many other options out there that will be getting 1 and maybe 2 year deals.

I think its very likely that he doesn't even get 1/7 from anyone and if so, it won't be much more than that.

Everything you read and hear is that he is going to get a 1 year deal and may get 2. Its not like he is going to get 8-10 million for that one year when there are so many other options out there that will be getting 1 and maybe 2 year deals.

I think you may be right, but we have to remember our place in the universe. If Lee is going to come to Baltimore on a one-year deal, it's going to be because we were way higher than anyone else. And I don't mind overpaying a guy for a year. That doesn't really hurt us at all long-term.

You rebel. ;)

When you're a 64 win team in the AL East, you're not an attractive destination for ***PREMIUM*** free agents no matter how proactive you are or how many flights you book. A phone call to an agent is likely just as impactful as a face to face visit, because no decisions are being made at this point anyways. Maybe you could send them flowers too, for effect.

Hank, have you ever held a position where you hired people?

Did their appearance have any effect on your first impression? Did the ones wearing a suit or nice clothes have a better impact on you then the ones who showed up in jeans and an AC-DC t-shirt?

After the interview, did any of them ever send a thank you card for taking the time out of your schedule to interview them? Did that have any effect on you?

Did they call back after a few weeks to say "Hey, thanks for the interview. I am not rushing you but just want you to kow I am still interested."

You are being naive to say that a phone call is just as effective as a face to face visit.

You are being naive to say that we shouldn't even call certain players because they are beyond our reach.

Every little gesture has SOME impact on the player and the agent. The least the Orioles can do is TRY.

You can't get a job you don't apply for.

You can't get a date if you don't ask the girl out.

You can't sign a free agent if you don't even try.

And you can't make a trade if you don't find out what the asking price is.

Hank, have you ever held a position where you hired people?

Did their appearance have any effect on your first impression? Did the ones wearing a suit or nice clothes have a better impact on you then the ones who showed up in jeans and an AC-DC t-shirt?

After the interview, did any of them ever send a thank you card for taking the time out of their schedule to interview them? Did that have any effect on you?

Did they call back after a few weeks to say "Hey, thanks for the interview. I am not rushing you but just want you to kow I am still interested."

You are being naive to say that a phone call is just as effective as a face to face visit.

You are being naive to say that we shouldn't even call certain players because they are beyond our reach.

Every little gesture has SOME impact on the player and the agent. The least the Orioles can do is TRY.

You can't get a job you don't apply for.

You can't get a date if you don't ask the girl out.

You can't sign a free agent if you don't even try.

And you can't make a trade if you don't find out what the asking price is.

And you don't spend your savings on a diamond necklace on the first date.

Archived