Ghiroli: Orioles may be interested in former Cub Theriot

JTrea81

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way the Orioles sign him to be a UTI MIer.

IF they sign him, its to play SS on an everyday basis.

He does have a good OBP and has been above average defensively, according to UZR, in every year but 2010.

He has no power and hits a ton of grounders.

The worry I have is that his BB rate has declined the last few years...With his power being so poor, you have to think that teams will continue to challenge him more and more as he gets older.

He is 31...I really have no interest in signing him but I have very little doubt AM does.

No way the Orioles sign him to be a UTI MIer.

IF they sign him, its to play SS on an everyday basis.

He does have a good OBP and has been above average defensively, according to UZR, in every year but 2010.

He has no power and hits a ton of grounders.

The worry I have is that his BB rate has declined the last few years...With his power being so poor, you have to think that teams will continue to challenge him more and more as he gets older.

He is 31...I really have no interest in signing him but I have very little doubt AM does.

He is a stop gap for a couple of years until Machado is ready, and upgrade from Izzi, and costs nothing in trade. Is the difference between Theriot and one year of Hardy worth DH?

Theriot wouldn't be awful. He actually profiles quite similarly to Nishioka.

Both are solid defenders, but neither has an arm that plays up on the left side. Both could probably hack it at short, as far as range goes, but would be better off at second, all things considered.

Both have good contact rates and have the potential for a high OBP. Neither has much power, though I suspect Nishioka will show more pop than Theriot.

Basically, Theriot is a safe bet to be just under my 50% projection for Nishioka, but with less upside and a couple of years older.

The 2007-2009 Theriot was quite valuable, and if he comes on the cheap I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him and hoping he bounces back to those levels and can still be rangy enough to justify playing at short. It'd be a better idea than trading David Hernandez or Jim Johnson for a year of Bartlett at a ~6 MM arbitrated salary.

Still, we'd have to bank on him getting that walk rate back up in to the 8ish range or he won't really be an upgrade over Izturis. I'd guess that he could get that ISO-P back up around .070 just by luck of the draw. .043 is just obscenely low.

We should still be trying to snag Hardy or one of LAN's shortstops in a trade. But, with Uribe off the market Theriot would probably now be my 3rd or 4th option on the list. He could also provide insurance in case Roberts goes down again. He'd have to come cheap.

He is a stop gap for a couple of years until Machado is ready, and upgrade from Izzi, and costs nothing in trade. Is the difference between Theriot and one year of Hardy worth DH?

Yea..I like Hardy's chances of being worth a pick or 2. I like the idea of potentially extending Hardy and having him for 3 years or so.

I like the idea of having his power.

He is a better bet going forward IMO.

Theriot wouldn't be awful. He actually profiles quite similarly to Nishioka.

Both are solid defenders, but neither has an arm that plays up on the left side. Both could probably hack it at short, as far as range goes, but would be better off at second, all things considered.

Both have good contact rates and have the potential for a high OBP. Neither has much power, though I suspect Nishioka will show more pop than Theriot.

Basically, Theriot is a safe bet to be just under my 50% projection for Nishioka, but with less upside and a couple of years older.

The 2007-2009 Theriot was quite valuable, and if he comes on the cheap I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him and hoping he bounces back to those levels and can still be rangy enough to justify playing at short. It'd be a better idea than trading David Hernandez or Jim Johnson for a year of Bartlett at a ~6 MM arbitrated salary.

Still, we'd have to bank on him getting that walk rate back up in to the 8ish range or he won't really be an upgrade over Izturis. I'd guess that he could get that ISO-P back up around .070 just by luck of the draw. .043 is just obscenely low.

We should still be trying to snag Hardy or one of LAN's shortstops in a trade. But, with Uribe off the market Theriot would probably now be my 3rd or 4th option on the list. He could also provide insurance in case Roberts goes down again. He'd have to come cheap.

This post and the following one by SG pretty much nail it.

He's an upgrade over Izzy, but he'd be even more welcome as a backup to Hardy and Roberts.

There was some demand for Theriot a few years ago with the Cubs, but there's little upside to a fairly average player like Theriot - other than his being better than Izzy.

Theriot is an okay option. Perhaps we can leverage him as a potential bargaining chip to lower the price on Hardy/Barlett.

Yea..I like Hardy's chances of being worth a pick or 2. I like the idea of potentially extending Hardy and having him for 3 years or so.

I like the idea of having his power.

He is a better bet going forward IMO.

If he puts up good numbers you can forget about him extending. Would he be a type A with a good year after last season? Essentially you are trading DH for one year of Hardy and a draft pick.

I'll take Theriot over Izturis every day of the week.

I'd take just about anyone over Izturis at this point, but that's not really saying much

Theriot is a move that would make a solid bench option for the O's not a starting SS.

His OBP has declined the past few years and his PPA has remained stable. That's just an indication that pitchers are attacking him more because he is not a threat for XBH's

He would be a bad option for starting SS but a great option for backup MIer

Hardy is a bit of an injury risk, and Bartlett's going to have a modest market out there for him. Scutaro is another option no one is mentioning, which is suprising to me, as he is another 1-year rental at SS with similar value to that of both Hardy and Bartlett. Theriot isn't really on the same level as those guys, however.

But.. if Theriot is non-tendered & Baltimore signs him, I like his ability at SS and 2B. With Robert's health, Theriot could end up spending significant time at 2B during the season. With that in mind, perhaps MacPhail would view him as more of an upgrade from Lugo last year?

Andino is impacted by this as well. He really caught Showalter's eye last season and I wonder if management wants to give him a more legitimate shot at a roster spot next year?

Archived